• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

Doyers are
alive.

Whew, glad you spoilered that. I haven't finished watching the series yet.

Edit: The difference between last night and tonight is that we'll be starting the 9th with our closer instead of bringing him in with the bases loaded. Or maybe we'll bring in Paco to make things interesting, who knows?

shwimpy

No pinch hitter for Ethier against a lefty? Gonna have to sit him for defensive purposes this inning anyway.

Wake up Donnie!

Honestly, after Ethier's fielding issue in game 1 losing us the game and his inability to hit, we'd be better off just sticking with Shumacher(sp?) until the WS if we make it that far.

Molina liked to draw that last at-bat out, didn't he?

Grats Dodgers-GAF! Maybe tomorrow we'll have both teams playing like actual playoff teams instead of this 3 straight games of forgetting how to swing a bat.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The dominance of pitching in the playoffs has been pretty significant. Most probably think 'boring baseball' but I love pitching duels. It's much more interesting to watch how management and adjustments win ballgames.

Now that I don't have a horse in the race I don't mind not seeing hits and offense, hell I'm used to it. lol

http://instagram.com/p/feMLUiPoPM

I saw that thing on TV thinking the Dodgers were doing a trial run for a mascot. Thank god it was just a crazy fan.

lCaM8ae.jpg

So, Carlos Beltran wasn't happy with Yasiel Puig's antics in Game 3:

As a player, I just think he doesn't know [about how to act]. That's what I think. He really doesn't know. He must think that he's still playing somewhere else.

He has a lot of passion. No doubt about that. Great ability. Great talent. I think, with time, he'll learn that you've got to act with a little bit more calm.

So you know, he's going to learn. It's going to take him time, but he's going to learn. When you try to do those things sometimes, you know, you get that attention. And you don't want to wake up nobody. I always thought if you hit a home run off a pitcher, you've got to make him believe he made a mistake. You don't wake him up. Or next time, the pitcher's going to be more focused with you and he's going to try harder to get you out.

So he will learn. I don't think he's a bad kid. I just think he doesn't know [how to act] right now.

When asked if Puig's behavior "woke up" the Cardinals:

I'm in the outfield. I mean, it's not great. To me, I don't like it. But what can I say? I don't play for them. I just play over here. I just need to do my job. It is what it is.

I think it's a reasonable thing to say from Beltran, although I'm not sure we need anymore reasons for people to hate the Cardinals right now. Still, at least he didn't go on a Twitter tirade or something extremely silly as that seems all too common with pro-athletes these days.

vikki

Relating to last night's conversation about broadcasters:

1) Does anyone have enough experience with enough local broadcasts to have preferences?

2) Are there are any great young broadcasters anywhere? Obviously there are old time greats like Vin Scully and Jack Buck (RIP), but I don't know of much young talent coming to take their place.

Maybe you'll think I am completely biased, but I really like Don Orsillo. I think he does a decent job during the postseason. He's also a pretty likable guy.

1) I'm familiar with a good portion of the local broadcasters. It's almost impossible for some people to get all the quirks from each without any sort of attachment or repeated viewing. Most of the major markets are still featured pretty frequently thanks to the internet, MLB.com, and the various recap shows now.

My market is pretty great on both the radio and television end, so I consider myself lucky. Don't consider any of them "greats", however a very balanced broadcast. I can't stand Eckersley though. Some people apparently like his color. Boggles my mind.

2) That era is over. The broadcasts are less about the ability to call the game than it is to streamline the network's agenda. That can still be balanced by someone with enough talent, just seems like the latter is not very important to most networks.

I don't mind Eck, but I am a bit confused with him. He played for the sox early in his career, though when I think of him, I think of him playing for the A's, the team he played for the longest. Plus he is a bay area native. Is it because he finished his career in Boston and he is welcome there? I basically look at Eck like I look at a lot of other local commentators.

Sanjuro

Maybe you'll think I am completely biased, but I really like Don Orsillo. I think he does a decent job during the postseason. He's also a pretty likable guy.

I don't mind Eck, but I am a bit confused with him. He played for the sox early in his career, though when I think of him, I think of him playing for the A's, the team he played for the longest. Plus he is a bay area native. Is it because he finished his career in Boston and he is welcome there? I basically look at Eck like I look at a lot of other local commentators.

Orsillo is a good commentator. He has great chemistry with Jerry and neither one of them are homers (during commentary) for the team. Most importantly, he doesn't spout a bunch of generic catch phrases every game. I don't think he is a very smart baseball guy, but that's not a huge issue for a play-by-play commentator with a color partner. I've really been enjoying Dave O'Brien on the radio as well.

Nobody gives a shit about baseball in Oakland. So, Eck gets more national attention, larger paycheck, and it seems he genuinely enjoyed his playing days here the most. I don't dislike him by any means. He is fine in the studio role. Just isn't refined as a color commentator.

It seems Adam Wainwright also took exception to Adrian Gonzalez's celebration on second base, saying, "I saw Adrian doing some Mickey Mouse stuff on base."

Sanjuro

I take exception to Mr. Engima's body language while posting. Who do you think you are, ESPN?!

One of the unwritten rules of the message board.

BFIB

After Puig's HR celebration that ended up being a triple, I was really, really hoping he would be caught on the basepaths.

MLB players must be the most curmudgeonly and joyless professional athletes on Earth. Half of them probably can't enjoy sex without telling their partner to shut up and act like they've been there before.

After Puig's HR celebration that ended up being a triple, I was really, really hoping he would be caught on the basepaths.
This. When you start celebrating halfway to third AFTER YOU JUST CADILLAC'D THINKING YOU HIT A HOMER, you need to reasses your way of thinking. When Beltran calls you out like that, you done fucked up. Keep in mind he played with Jose Reyes, who many considered (unfairly) to have some hot dog in him. Puig makes Reyes and Brandon Phillips look like Kris Benson.

Top Bottom