• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

Sanjuro

It's the best route to take. We lost that game long before whatever that shit was would have beat us.

Lying is the best route to take for the Cardinals?

The realistic result of the Cardinals complaining about this is that it basically screws the ballclub over. Matheny now can't do or say anything and gives Farrell more of an incentive to ask to inspect Cardinals pitchers.

Lying is the best route to take for the Cardinals?

The realistic result of the Cardinals complaining about this is that it basically screws the ballclub over. Matheny now can't do or say anything and gives Farrell more of an incentive to ask to inspect Cardinals pitchers.

I'm confused, how is me saying that it's the best route for the Cardinal's GM to not pursue the Lester glove fiasco in anyway related to lying?

Sanjuro

I'm confused, how is me saying that it's the best route for the Cardinal's GM to not pursue the Lester glove fiasco in anyway related to lying?

He can't pursue it! The GM has no relevance here. All he did by releasing that statement is lie and backtrack.

He can't pursue it! The GM has no relevance here. All he did by releasing that statement is lie and backtrack.

I must be missing something. Where is he telling a lie? How did he backtrack? He said it's a "non-issue" and that it does "not represent a concern."

Are you referencing the no-name A-league pitcher that posted the video in the first place?

Sanjuro

I must be missing something. Where is he telling a lie? How did he backtrack? He said it's a "non-issue" and that it does "not represent a concern."

I'm just going by the quote in the thread, so if that is accurate.

"It's something that arose in social media and not from our players or manager or our coaching staff. To me it does not represent a concern."

It was brought to light by one of his minor league players, Tyler Melling. Melling's tweet magically disappeared shortly afterward.

I'm just going by the quote in the thread, so if that is accurate.

"It's something that arose in social media and not from our players or manager or our coaching staff. To me it does not represent a concern."

It was brought to light by one of his minor league players, Tyler Melling. Melling's tweet magically disappeared shortly afterward.

I took that as saying one of players at the game/on the WS roster, as-in, none of them were being sore losers or doing any finger pointing. Melling was stupid for bringing that up no doubt, and that magical disappearance you speak of is probably him deleting it after getting the shit smacked out of him by someone in the organization, but I hardly see this as some sort of elaborate cover-up by Mo. He shouldn't throw Melling under the bus, so his best choice is to distance themselves from it and let it go.

Sanjuro

I took that as saying one of players at the game/on the WS roster, as-in, none of them were being sore losers or doing any finger pointing. Melling was stupid for bringing that up no doubt, and that magical disappearance you speak of is probably him deleting it after getting the shit smacked out of him by someone in the organization, but I hardly see this as some sort of elaborate cover-up by Mo. He shouldn't throw Melling under the bus, so his best choice is to distance themselves from it and let it go.

As the GM, Melling is one of his players. I don't take this as an elaborate cover-up, more of a "we fucked up, well...shit.". Easily could have said that this was brought to our attention by a member of our organization and that has been dealt with. There is little doubt that Melling received a nice phone call from the organization, possibly a Skype call from Matheny threatening to rip his dick off.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Nah. It applies to most teams.

Giants Age, would you be willing to part with Pablo? And what would it take to get him.

I wouldnt mind trading him but what we get for him probably wouldnt be worth it for what we need. People will probably want him and belt together :/

3N16MA

Banned
I wouldnt mind trading him but what we get for him probably wouldnt be worth it for what we need. People will probably want him and belt together :/

Want Nunez and Warren? You're getting a future all-star SS who can also play 3B and an up and coming SP who should be a solid #2.

I think the Giants should take it.

Sanjuro

Want Nunez and Warren? You're getting a future all-star SS who can also play 3B and an up and coming SP who should be a solid #2.

I think the Giants should take it.

iballpmfTPVJv7.gif

That assumes either the Cardinals pitchers are doing something worse than what Lester did or they do something similar and Lester got away with breaking the rules. The former is baseless speculation and the latter would justify the "uproar" about the stuff on Lester's glove, would it not?

The only downside to all of this is it could potentially be a additional distraction to a Cardinals team that wasn't exactly 100% there mentally in Game 1.

BFIB

Well, if we get to game 5 (depending on if the Cardinals actually compete in this series), and Lester pitches, then odds are every camera will be focusing on his glove, his hat, etc.

So I highly doubt we'll see anything else. Again, this really wasn't a big deal. Cards defense cost them the game.

Sanjuro

That assumes either the Cardinals pitchers are doing something worse than what Lester did or they do something similar and Lester got away with breaking the rules. The former is baseless speculation and the latter would justify the "uproar" about the stuff on Lester's glove, would it not?

The only downside to all of this is could potentially be a additional distraction to a Cardinals team that wasn't exactly 100% there mentally in Game 1.

That assumption would be correct. Don't be naive. Primarily, it removes the scenario where Matheny could have asked to inspect one of the pitchers.

That assumption would be correct. Don't be naive. Primarily, it removes the scenario where Matheny could have asked to inspect one of the pitchers.
Inspecting Kenny Rogers in 2006 sure did a whole lot of good!

Even if the guy who tweeted about it kept it under wraps and discreetly notified the Cards brass about it, I doubt the Red Sox pitchers are going to have gobs of goo on their gloves in Games 2, 3, 4, etc. for Matheny to "catch" - rest assured that if some dude on TV spotted it, somebody in the Red Sox clubhouse probably saw it afterwards as well.

Any edge gained from this will be psychological.

Sanjuro

Inspecting Kenny Rogers in 2006 sure did a whole lot of good!

Even if the guy who tweeted about it kept it under wraps and discreetly notified the Cards brass about it, I doubt the Red Sox pitchers are going to have gobs of goo on their gloves in Games 2, 3, 4, etc. for Matheny to "catch" - rest assured that if some dude on TV spotted it, somebody in the Red Sox clubhouse probably saw it afterwards as well.

Any edge gained from this will be psychological.

How? If anything it will effect Cardinal pitching just as much.

We already did this months ago.

EDIT: Kenny Rogers is a very poor example or comparison.

How? If anything it will effect Cardinal pitching just as much.

We already did this months ago.
I don't think there will be an edge. But if there is an edge, it won't be something tangible like one side catching the other side breaking a similar rule. Neither Farrell nor Matheny is going to dress down the opposing starting pitcher in the World Series.

The Kenny Rogers example is practically the same thing except the alleged substance was on his hand instead of his glove. That distinction is irrelevant if we're talking about using a illegal substance on the ball while pitching.

Sanjuro

I don't think there will be an edge. But if there is an edge, it won't be something tangible like one side catching the other side breaking a similar rule. Neither Farrell nor Matheny is going to dress down the opposing starting pitcher in the World Series.

Probably not. For Matheny, he would have wanted it to be his choice or to not have anything brought up on this subject at all. Simple as that.

Well, obviously the Cards would prefer this hadn't been blown up since MLB isn't going to change the results of Game 1 even if Lester is guilty of cheating. And it's not like whatever on Lester's glove made the Cards play terrible defense. That's why I wrote:

The only downside to all of this is it could potentially be a additional distraction to a Cardinals team that wasn't exactly 100% there mentally in Game 1.

Now whether or not Matheny and his coaches can keep the players focused on the game of baseball remains to be seen.

Signing shitty players will tend to do that.

Uggla was coming off his best career season in 2010. 33 home runs, 105 RBIs, .287/.369/.508. And he had atomic career numbers in Turner Field.

B.Upton hit 28 home runs in 2012 and still hit .250.

There were no signs both guys would decline so rapidly, so immediately. I still think B.Upton just had a weird year where he was trying way too hard and will rebound. But Uggla is toast.

Sanjuro

Uggla was coming off his best career season in 2010. 33 home runs, 105 RBIs, .287/.369/.508. And he had atomic career numbers in Turner Field.

There were no signs both guys would decline so rapidly, so immediately. I still think B.Upton just had a weird year where he was trying way too hard and will rebound. But Uggla is toast.

There were plenty of signs Upton was going to be a piece of shit. I would say the largest one being that he was a piece of shit.

Dragon

Banned

BJ is so bad his brother couldn't get him on base.

Inferiority to New York teams for years and years warp their senses of morality.

New York teams?

Yankees? Nope.
Jets? Nope.
Giants? Fuck them.
Rangers? LOL
Knicks? LOL

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Sanjuro

Inferiority from New York teams? Is that the argument?

Yankees are the only one that fits that issue, that that hasn't been relevant for a decade. I mean they are the greatest franchise in sports.

New York doesn't feature any other franchises that come close to that claim.

3N16MA

Banned
Inferiority from New York teams? Is that the argument?

Yankees are the only one that fits that issue, that that hasn't been relevant for a decade. I mean they are the greatest franchise in sports.

New York doesn't feature any other franchises that come close to that claim.

Islanders were bad ass in the late 70's/ 80's and NYC claimed ownership of them. Since then no one knows what happend.

Sanjuro

Islanders were bad ass in the late 70's/ 80's and NYC claimed ownership of them. Since then no one knows what happend.

The Islanders aren't the greatest of anything. They were one of the last great hockey dynasties until being handled like a bunch of rejects.

Montreal is the greatest franchise in the history of the sport and our biggest rival.

3N16MA

Banned
The Islanders aren't the greatest of anything. They were one of the last great hockey dynasties until being handled like a bunch of rejects.

Montreal is the greatest franchise in the history of the sport and our biggest rival.

I'm well aware of the Canadians and not really trying to counter your point. Just pointing out that the Islanders are often forgotten.

Sanjuro

I'm well aware of the Canadians and not really trying to counter your point. Just pointing out that the Islanders are often forgotten.

Well, yeah...that's the point. Nobody gives a shit about the Islanders. Smartest thing they have done in years is commit to moving to Brooklyn.

Drek

Cardinals pitchers widely admitted to using sunscreen or pine tar themselves mid-last season when Chris Perez was claiming some of their veterans actually doctored balls.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_e9afb5f3-afcb-5832-8ca9-8ca8614df292.html

Wainwright acknowledges at times using a mix of resin and sunscreen to enhance his grip. Just as significant, the combo applied to his pitching arm helps prevent sweat rolling onto his hand.

Everyone in baseball are cool with this because pitchers don't like throwing wild pitches and hitters don't like getting ear holed with 100 mph fastballs.

Top Bottom