• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

It was a brilliant flop by Craig, he never touched home either. Craig wasn't forced to take third, he wasn't forced to home either, shouldn't have been an obstruction call. Middlebrooks was already on the ground.

Has nothing to do with being forced. He has the right to an unobstructed path around the bases. I think it's obvious that Middlebrooks was unintentionally in his way, but he still was. Just like if a base runner gets hit by a ball in play by complete accident, still an out.

Sport is just as crooked as basketball.
It was a brilliant flop by Craig, he never touched home either. Craig wasn't forced to take third, he wasn't forced to home either, shouldn't have been an obstruction call. Middlebrooks was already on the ground.
The dude fell on top of him anyway, the bottom part of his legs never touched Craig. How is it interference when Craig 1: knocked him over sliding into 3rd to break up the throw to beign with and 2: then touched Middlebrooks before Middlebrooks touched him?

Bullshit call on the heels of a a bullshit game with an umpire with a massively slanted strike zone giving Cards pitchers 2-3" low and outside all game but not giving the same to the Red Sox. Way to represent yourself with that "human element" MLB. You're going to look like a joke all off-season with yet another big baseball series being slanted due to the old ass men you employ to officiate not being able to see shit.
patriots-penalty-costs-them-game-against-jets-a.gif

Drek

I will remember this next time people say Cards fans make excuses.

I hope Craig isn't hurt.

He slid in high arms up to 3rd to break up the throw, then gimped a trip over WMB looking for a call. He could make a FIFA team with that style of play. Any damage he did to his ankle is well deserved for bush league play and the officiating crew is a joke for falling for it.

ReMaKe

John Farrell can't manage for his life right now. He's making all the wrong moves. I actually feel bad for the guy. Boston is gonna destroy him tomorrow.

zychi

Banned
Because you're allowed to do that...?

Dude, what are you arguing here? He tripped the guy.

Cmon, man. Don't make me argue with a fellow Hawks fan. :p

Rule 2.00
1) Interference by an offensive player cannot be called unless a fielder is “ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A PLAY.”

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The dude fell on top of him anyway, the bottom part of his legs never touched Craig. How is it interference when Craig 1: knocked him over sliding into 3rd to break up the throw to beign with and 2: then touched Middlebrooks before Middlebrooks touched him?

Bullshit call on the heels of a a bullshit game with an umpire with a massively slanted strike zone giving Cards pitchers 2-3" low and outside all game but not giving the same to the Red Sox. Way to represent yourself with that "human element" MLB. You're going to look like a joke all off-season with yet another big baseball series being slanted due to the old ass men you employ to officiate not being able to see shit.

It doesn't have to be intentional.

It's still obstruction even if you don't think Middlebrooks is a dirty cheat.

Drek

Because you're allowed to do that...?

Dude, what are you arguing here? He tripped the guy.

Cmon, man. Don't make me argue with a fellow Hawks fan. :p

Middlebrooks never touched him. Craig initiated contact at every point.

Also, it's not legal to go in arms up to obstruct a catch, FYI, but then why call the rules both ways? The home plate ump sure wasn't calling the strike zone that way.

If Craig didn't clip WMB's legs out on a slide to THIRD (where no double play exists to be broken up) it's a clean catch.

You slide to slow yourself, not just to break up a play. The throw was towards the runner's side, what should Craig do, walk into the plate?

Riggs

Banned
He slid in high arms up to 3rd to break up the throw, then gimped a trip over WMB looking for a call. He could make a FIFA team with that style of play. Any damage he did to his ankle is well deserved for bush league play and the officiating crew is a joke for falling for it.

No shit man, this is exactly how I see it.

So, in this post we have an acknowledgement that he might've hurt his ankle... immediately after complete certainty that he flopped.

Cognitive dissonance is awesome.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I wonder, if he doesn't lift his legs would that still be obstruction? He'd still be considered making a play on the ball I think.

I think you're right, although had he not lifted his legs, Craig would have been able to get over Middlebrooks and score.

Enron

Banned

learn2rulebook plz

Drek

It doesn't have to be intentional.

It's still obstruction even if you don't think Middlebrooks is a dirty cheat.

It sure as fuck does when Craig is the guy who knocked Middlebrooks over. By your hypothesis every close slide into 3rd is grounds for a free run. Ever seen that called before? It was a bush league slide by Craig intending to break up the throw and it was a flat out wrong call by the officiating crew to reward him for it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
While it was a dogshit call, it was an even more of a dogshit throw to 3rd--it was a fucking stupid play. Should have held the ball.

zychi

Banned
Umps saved the Cards, shitty NL baseball, lack of bench and pitchers left. Can't let them lose at home, series would've been over if Bos won today

watch it again, the dude fell on him before that. That's some fucking bullshit, you don't decide games on bullshit like this, no.

3B puts his feet up, then the base runner stumbles over him. Not sure where some of you are seeing this "he put his feet up because he fell on top of him!!!" from.

My first thought seeing it live was "shouldn't that be called something?" and I'm not even that much of a baseball guy.

Drek

You slide to slow yourself, not just to break up a play. The throw was towards the runner's side, what should Craig do, walk into the plate?

Which is why the slide stops on the inside part of the bag (Craig's didn't) and why you go in arms down (Craig didn't). He went in looking to break up a throw. He got what he wanted in a bush league move. The officials then awarded him home because they liked it so much.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It sure as fuck does when Craig is the guy who knocked Middlebrooks over. By your hypothesis every close slide into 3rd is grounds for a free run. Ever seen that called before? It was a bush league slide by Craig intending to break up the throw and it was a flat out wrong call by the officiating crew to reward him for it.

It was a garbage throw that Middlebrooks had to dive through Craig to get to. Craig gets up and tries to run home and unfortunately Middlebrooks is laid out flat between where Craig is and where home plate is at.

That is obstruction. There is nothing ambiguous about it. Its the right call.

Also its rule 7.06.

zychi

Banned
Doesn't really apply for trying to catch a throw. Only fielding a batted ball.

INTERFERENCE
(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. I

Enron

Banned
Obstruction

When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal "Obstruction."
If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batterrunner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as the penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.
Rule 7.06(a) Comment: When a play is being made on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall signal obstruction in the same manner that he calls “Time,” with both hands overhead. The ball is immediately dead when this signal is given; however, should a thrown ball be in flight before the obstruction is called by the umpire, the runners are to be awarded such bases on wild throws as they would have been awarded had not obstruction occurred. On a play where a runner was trapped between second and third and obstructed by the third baseman going into third base while the throw is in flight from the shortstop, if such throw goes into the dugout the obstructed runner is to be awarded home base. Any other runners on base in this situation would also be awarded two bases from the base they last legally touched before obstruction was called.
(b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.
Rule 7.06(b) Comment: Under 7.06(b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.
NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Salty holds onto the ball and the game is probably still going. I like how the Cards get rewarded for sloppy baserunning too. God must be a Cardinals fan.

cashman

Banned
Which is why the slide stops on the inside part of the bag (Craig's didn't) and why you go in arms down (Craig didn't). He went in looking to break up a throw. He got what he wanted in a bush league move. The officials then awarded him home because they liked it so much.

1. Sliding to break up a play isn't bush league at all
2. The throw was going into him, what was he to do?

I can't believe I have to defend Allen fucking Craig.

Drek

learn2rulebook plz

Rule 7.09(j) Comment: When a catcher and batter-runner going to first base have contact when the
catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called. “Obstruction” by
a fielder attempting to field a ball should be called only in very flagrant and violent cases
because the
rules give him the right of way, but of course such “right of way” is not a license to, for example,
intentionally trip a runner even though fielding the ball. If the catcher is fielding the ball and the first
baseman or pitcher obstructs a runner going to first base “obstruction” shall be called and the base runner
awarded first base

Go read it yourself you twat.

Top Bottom