• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

Yes the game was rigged. Allen Craig and the umpires colluded to make the complete batshit randomness of that play possible. His flopping was a brilliant maneuver even more genius for the fact that nobody ever does that. How anyone could think he intentionally tripped over the third baseman is absurd.

Enron

Banned
Rule 7.09(j) Comment: When a catcher and batter-runner going to first base have contact when the
catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called. “Obstruction” by
a fielder attempting to field a ball should be called only in very flagrant and violent cases because the
rules give him the right of way, but of course such “right of way” is not a license to, for example,
intentionally trip a runner even though fielding the ball. If the catcher is fielding the ball and the first
baseman or pitcher obstructs a runner going to first base “obstruction” shall be called and the base runner
awarded first base

Oh, so you agree with me, then!

Coins

Banned
stlerror.gif

cashman

Banned
INTERFERENCE
(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. I

Doesn't really apply since Craig was in the base path, and he was catching a thrown ball.

ReMaKe

Okay, I get the rule.
However, what do they want Middlebrooks to do? to slide away? The dude tripped, he can't move. It wasn't intentional.
They ruined a great game on a shitty call.

alstein

Umps saved the Cards, shitty NL baseball, lack of bench and pitchers left. Can't let them lose at home, series would've been over if Bos won today

The hidden rule of NL Baseball is that the Cards get all the calls.

Your Game 4 home plate ump will be Ron Cherry.

jbug617

Banned
Farrell has to bench Salty and let Ross catch for the rest of the series. To lose 2 games the same way (throw to 3rd) is infuriating.

Enron

Banned
Okay, I get the rule.
However, what do they want Middlebrooks to do? to slide away? The dude tripped, he can't move. It wasn't intentional.

If it was according to the rule, it wasn't a shitty call.

Okay, I get the rule.

It's shit luck, not a shit call. Unfortunate that Middlebrooks dive took him into that path, but the call is correct.

zoom29

Neo Member
Who is the losing pitcher?
MLB website has Workman as L, but the winning run was scored by Craig, who was allowed by Uehara.

cashman

Banned
Lifting the legs was the key here. (Along with the shitty throw, but hey it can't be the red sox fault they lost!)

Who is the losing pitcher?
MLB website has Workman as L, but the winning run was scored by Craig, who was allowed by Uehara.
should be uehara I think.

DiscoJer

Okay, I get the rule.

I would agree if the fielder hadn't lifted his legs the second time, I think it still would have been obstruction if Craig tripped, but lifting those legs up was awfully flagrant...looks much worse in slow motion.

Well it's not helping that some of the Stl fans are egging it on, there's a way to talk smack after winning, and a way to just be asshole about it.
What egging? No STL fan has said a word, those are fans of other teams who can't believe the amount of salt the Boston fans are spewing. Can't a team lose on bad luck anymore? Why does it always have to be a conspiracy?

Sanjuro

Middlebrooks would have been okay if he didn't raise his feet. they probably would have thrown him out, too.

Looks like they probably would have, although probably would have given the obstruction call due to the flop either way.

Still a surreal ending. Great game.

Godslay

Banned
Lifting the legs was the key here. (Along with the shitty throw, but hey it can't be the red sox fault they lost!)

should be uehara I think.

Middlebrooks should have came off the bag and made a play on the ball. He would have saved a bad throw.

Well it's not helping that some of the Stl fans are egging it on, there's a way to talk smack after winning, and a way to just be asshole about it.

It was the right call though, and some people went from 0-60. I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm a Rockies fan so I'm pretty neutral on the series anyways.

vikki

This is payback for the tuck rule. The universe is righting itself.

The Tuck Rule will never be righted in your mind. Neither will Spygate. Keep telling everyone that shit calls are okay when they happen to a Boston teams, because an unrelated incident that happened 12 years ago from a different sport makes it okay.

6a0115709f071f970b0133f5948758970b.jpe

"Rulebook? LOL I break that all the time!"

This made me chuckle a little.

DarkFlow

Banned
What egging? No STL fan has said a word, those are fans of other teams who can't believe the amount of salt the Boston fans are spewing. Can't a team lose on bad luck anymore? Why does it always have to be a conspiracy?

Did I say it was a conspiracy? I don't think MLB is out to get anyone, it was just a bad call, and a shit throw.

Enron

Banned
someone gif this from the left field zoom cam angle. You can clearly see middlebooks look back, and then lift his legs up as Craig is getting going again.

It doesnt matter if it was on purpose or not, but you can clearly tell it is.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Obviously that's the part everybody is familiar with, but everything that happened leading up to that point is what makes it the greatest game. Mets down 2 in extra innings getting three consecutive singles with 2 outs to cut the lead to 1, the wild pitch to tie it up, and Mookie's great at-bat where he fouled off like 100 pitches before hitting that famous dribbler up the line.

I think I'm gonna watch my DVD.

ReMaKe

Joe Torre mostly just said it was obstruction since middlebrooks never got up after the dive

How was he suppose to get up though.?
That's my problem with the rulling, if it was intentional, then sure! However, it wasn't. He tripped and couldn't get u. They should rewrite that rule.
I'm okay with the lose, it's sad, but we deserved to lose that game. John Farrell manged it horrible, and salty shouldn't have thrown it.

Opiate

Furthermore, Craig clearly would have been safe if he had not been tripped up there. He lost 2-3 seconds from that.

I'm not sure what people want: he was running inside the basepaths. You cannot trip a baserunner up (unintentionally or not) and then profit from it.

Top Bottom