• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

How was he suppose to get up though.?
That's my problem with the rulling, if it was intentional, then sure! However, it wasn't. He tripped and couldn't get u. They should rewrite that rule.
I'm okay with the lose, it's sad, but we deserved to lose that game. John Farrell manged it horrible, and salty shouldn't have thrown it.

It doesn't have to be intentional. Dem's the rules.

zychi

Banned
mlb_g_play6_cr_576x324.jpg

geez, FINALLY we agree.
Before he "trips"
BXjpKXGIUAAZvv4.jpg

Inside the baseline, no one forced him to go to home, and he went backwards from third, shouldn't he have to touch the bag again before taking off for home?

Like if a runner touches second, runs pass second, and wants to go back to first, he has to touch second.

It's a clusterfuck that the umps got wrong. Craig doesn't score even without the flop

Even if Middlebrooks tries to get out of the way, Craig is holding him down.

Enron

Banned

Rule 2.00 OBSTRUCTION
OBSTRUCTION

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

It's a clusterfuck that the umps got wrong.

The rule is right there!

Not sure why I haven't been in this thread before now but - wow what a game. My butthole was clinched so tight I won't shit for three days.

BTW, intent doesn't matter on obstruction according to the rule so it was just an insanely weird bit if bad luck for the Sox. But it's on Ferrell and Salty. He should never have thrown the ball to third.

lucius

Yeah all middlebrooks had to do was not raise his feet/back legs the guy would have still been out at the plate. I have seen obstruction called on less than that, just never in playoffs.

Boston can still win 3 in a row, I defnitely would not count this team out.

ReMaKe

It doesn't have to be intentional. Dem's the rules.

That's my point.
They should change that rulling, make it "If intentionally..".
Make it where, the player(s) go back to their respective base. In this case, instead of being safe at home, he goes back to third.
It was the right call, but you never wanna see the game end like that.

ISOM

That play should of been how the world series ended and how boston lost just so the pain for them is that much greater.

ISOM

That's my point.
Make it where, the player(s) go back to their respective base. In this case, instead of being safe at home, he goes back to third.

How can you tell if it's intentional or not?

ToxicAdam

That's my point.

Nah, baseball players are crafty enough to make it look unintentional.

When I used to play second base, sometimes I would stand in the baseline as the cutoff man (for the play at the plate) so the guy who hit the ball would have to loop around me.

Godslay

Banned
Yeah that's true, but its tough to do that when you're trying to make a play

I agree. Still the ball should never have gotten passed him in this situation.

iHFjNtcCIvQsj.gif

That's my point.

Why? I'm sure it's been in the rulebook forever. If it was the right call why should it change?

ISOM

Intentional doesn't even matter. Throw that part out the window. Doesn't matter if Middlebrooks did it on purpose or not.

Oh I know that but he wanted to include the "If intentional" part to the rules which is ridiculous in itself.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Furthermore, Craig clearly would have been safe if he had not been tripped up there. He lost 2-3 seconds from that.

I'm not sure what people want: he was running inside the basepaths. You cannot trip a baserunner up (unintentionally or not) and then profit from it.

It's Boston though, the rules don't apply to them!

DarkFlow

Banned
cf041f78b30c0d18f26e9104055339f7.gif

The ball hit him, that's a automatic out no?

Also the basepath is clear, craig goes out of his way to push middlebrooks down and go over him.

DiscoJer

That's my point.

Why? If a batter is unintentionally hit by a pitch it still counts. Or if a runner is hit by a batted ball on the basepaths, he's out, even though that's unintentional.

And how do you know it's intentional or not?

cf041f78b30c0d18f26e9104055339f7.gif

The ball hit him, that's a automatic out no?

Also the basepath is clear, craig goes out of his way to push middlebrooks down and go over him.

No. You can't get just an out by throwing the ball at the runner. Only when the batter hits a ball and the ball hits the runner is it an out.

And Craig is looking behind to see where the ball is. He doesn't have to watch out for Middlebrooks, he makes his own path. Middlebrooks has to get out of the way, which he didn't.

Otherwise, fielders would just flop in front of runners trying to slow them down.

Umps held a press conference after the game. Don't think any other sport does this. While crew standing by the call. No hesitation. Ferrell admits it was the right call. That's the end of this one. These two teams have basically beaten themselves in all three games.

Same two teams tomorrow.

Opiate

That's my point.

The flipside, again, is that the Red Sox would have tripped up a player who clearly would have scored if he had not been tripped. In which case they would have profited from tripping a player (intentionally or not) who has running correctly inside the base path. I'm not sure there's a non-frustrating way to resolve that problem.

knicks

Can guarantee a different umpire would call something different.

He could have also ran more to the right away from the body...

Never seen anything like that called before.

And of course Joe Torre will back up any call made. They would never admit in wrongdoing the MLB, ever.

And I am a New Yorker who wants the cardinals to win, obviously.

Runner establishes the baseline

To clarify:

Any runner is out when—
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his base path to avoid being tagged
unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A
runner’s base path is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight
line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely
; or
(2) after touching first base, he leaves the base path, obviously abandoning his
effort to touch the next base;

Link

The Autumn Wind
Also, my mom's husband must be going nuts right now. God, I wish I could be there to see it.

Love that the ump isnt even looking and makes the call
Love that you post the frame right before he turns his head. Are you really this petty?

Sanjuro

The flipside, again, is that the Red Sox would have tripped up a player who clearly would have scored if he had not been tripped. In which case they would have profited from tripping a player (intentionally or not) who has running correctly inside the base path. I'm not sure there's a non-frustrating way to resolve that problem.

Except he wasn't tripped and appeared to run at a pace which would have resulted in a close call.

So, no. It's not clear he would have scored.

You really think Allen Craig was trying to hold Middlebrooks down? Or that it made a difference? Like if he hadn't put his hands on him, Middlebrooks would've immediately gotten out of the way? You really think he deliberately tripped on Middlebrooks to draw the obstruction call, something that almost never happens? Watch the play in real time instead of slow-mo and still frames. It's clear that the only thing going through his mind is "OH SHIT I GOTTA GO TO HOME"

Opiate

Except he wasn't tripped and appeared to run at a pace which would have resulted in a close call.

Definitely, strongly disagree. He lost 2-3 seconds on that trip. He was being waved home for a reason, and I've virtually never seen anyone not score when a ball is thrown away that far.

So, no. It's not clear he would have scored.

It really is.

zychi

Banned
You really think Allen Craig was trying to hold Middlebrooks down? Or that it made a difference? Like if he hadn't put his hands on him, Middlebrooks would've immediately gotten out of the way? You really think he deliberately tripped on Middlebrooks to draw the obstruction call, something that almost never happens? Watch the play in real time instead of slow-mo and still frames. It's clear that the only thing going through his mind is "OH SHIT I GOTTA GO TO HOME"

You don't watch much nba, soccer or nfl do you? Flopping is huge in sports lately

No less than Johnny Bench just said on Twitter that the game was lost on a bad decision to throw to third. Baseball, more than most sports, is about correct execution. That's why they track errors in baseball. Mistakes matter. Sometimes they matter a hell of a lot. This was one of those times. Blame Salty, not the rule book.

Or just think of it as Tuck Rule Karma if we're blaming the rule book.

Top Bottom