• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

UNCMark

Banned
Sorry, I meant to say that his throw was the same bad throw/play the pitcher made in Game 2, not that Salty did it twice. Salty's throw was certainly better than the Game 2 throw, but it was still an overall similar scenario.

Same shit different day. Both cost my team a win. Only positive I can draw from last night is we should have lost by far more than we did.

Enron

Banned
Lol wtf?

All the people in here hating, shit ... half of them aren't even fuckin Card fans.

hahahaha

Not word for word, but he just basically said this:

Middlebrooks "I'm not in the baseline, I'm 5 feet out, the umpire told me I have to try and get myself out of there quicker"

eIaudxf.gif

Feet/legs clearly in the baseline, and definitely not "5 feet out". lulz.

spliced

Just when it looked like Boston were gonna luck out again that happens. I'd love to see all the reactions in the Boston sports bars.

I'm reading some of the Facebook comments on MLB's posts about the game, and fuck, people are still blaming Beltran for getting beaned. While I'm fine with saying he should have done more to try and get out of the way, Boston has one of the most infamous "lean into the pitch" batters in postseason history in Victorino, who has been beaned more than anyone. It just doesn't make any sense for the pot to call the kettle black when the pot is clearly a much darker shade.

I'm reading some of the Facebook comments on MLB's posts about the game, and fuck, people are still blaming Beltran for getting beaned. While I'm fine with saying he should have done more to try and get out of the way, Boston has one of the most infamous "lean into the pitch" batters in postseason history in Victorino, who has been beaned more than anyone. It just doesn't make any sense for the pot to call the kettle black when the pot is clearly a much darker shade.

Same fan base who cheered on Youkilis for years too.

Sanjuro

Maybe if he wasn't a filthy PED user Facebook would like him!!

Link

The Autumn Wind
I fell asleep just now saw the ending. Bullshit call!

But realistically yeah, we cheated. If he didn't, I doubt there would have even been a play at the plate. Good game, Cards. I hope we get a bunch more like it.
Most of us aren't even saying that. We realize Middlebrooks wasn't purposely trying to trip up Craig, but intent has nothing to do with an obstruction call.

Edwardo

I just can't stand what Salty has been doing. Literally one of the first things you learn at the lowest levels of little league is to not throw the ball around. He's struck out 19 times in 32 at bats. He can't throw to second, and he can't throw to first. Why do we even have him in?

I'm not gonna claim to be a rulebook aficionado, but since a runner establishes the basepath, what is the ruling for when a runner leaves the basepath to avoid being tagged out, etc. I know it's a different situation, just curious.

Facebook doesn't like Big Papi?

Everyone should love Big Papi.

Boston must lose the series because of their stupid beards.

Blood, Sweat, and Beards. I've been growing mine for a while now. Still not on Napoli's level though. That thing is a beast.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not gonna claim to be a rulebook aficionado, but since a runner establishes the basepath, what is the ruling for when a runner leaves the basepath to avoid being tagged out, etc. I know it's a different situation, just curious.
He's called out.

Edwardo

He's called out.

Here's another hypothetical. Let's say Craig runs around Middlebrooks on that play instead of tripping and then falling over him. Does Craig get called out for leaving the basepath, does nothing happen because the runner creates the basepath, or is obstruction called and Craig automatically scores?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Here's another hypothetical. Let's say Craig runs around Middlebrooks on that play instead of tripping and then falling over him. Does Craig get called out for leaving the basepath, does nothing happen because the runner creates the basepath, or is obstruction called and Craig automatically scores?
He wouldn't be called out because he wasn't avoiding a tag, just like how a runner is out of the base path when rounding a base. Obstruction likely wouldn't be called.

Just woke up and read the last 100-150 posts or so, I had a good laugh this morning at a couple of the more extreme ones.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game overall. The Cards need to not strand so many runners; the game should have ended as an 8-4 STL win after the top of the 9th, but we had to strand bases loaded with no outs in the 4th plus a few other issues with stranding runners sprinkled throughout the game. I also would have liked us to win by our own skill and no on a shitty throw by Salty who almost assuredly won't be starting tonight's game... meaning we've lost that avenue as a method to score.

We've stranded an obscene amount of people in all of our games so far - I think it was 12 alone last night. Multiple opportunities to Papi-proof the lead.

And we just lost Allen Craig for probably the rest of the series too (or at least it sounds like it).

Opiate

Obstruction likely would not be called, but he would not automatically be called out, either. Running outside the basepaths isn't typically an automatic out (the exception being when trying to avoid a tag), but it does forfeit some rights. If you are running inside the basepaths, you have some rights like "if you throw the ball and hit me with it then I'm safe" and "if you block my way I'm safe." Those rights are forfeit if you run outside the base paths.

These rules exist and are also entirely appropriate. You can't win because you blocked/hit/messed with a runner who was simply running in a straight line from one base to another. On the other hand, if the runner takes some sort of loopy route because he's lazy or because he's trying to mess with the fielders, those basic rights are gone.

vikki

It doesn't matter if it's his feet or his dick, his body is obstruction.

The more I watch this the more I think the ump wouldn't have called obstruction had Middlebrooks not lifted his legs. There is very little time between initial contact and Craig's move to home. Would it still be considered obstruction had contact between the players was never broken?

I don't need a restating of the rule book. It's just that Middlebrooks was only put in a position to obstruct the runner after the runner interfered with Middlebrooks making a play on the ball. How does the league identify that he should not be in the way when it was kind of in the way because of the runner, and Salty's horrible throw?

The more I watch this the more I think the ump wouldn't have called obstruction had Middlebrooks not lifted his legs. There is very little time between initial contact and Craig's move to home. Would it still be considered obstruction had contact between the players was never broken?

The umpires have said that Middlebrooks lifting his legs made little difference in the obstruction call. Him doing it definitely did not help, though.

I don't need a restating of the rule book. It's just that Middlebrooks was only put in a position to obstruct the runner after the runner interfered with Middlebrooks making a play on the ball. How does the league identify that he should not be in the way when it was kind of in the way because of the runner, and Salty's horrible throw?

The runner did not interfere with the play. Salty made a bad and unnecessary throw, Middlebrooks had to dive in the baseline in order to try to make the play and ended up obstructing the runner (and if Craig didn't trip he almost assuredly would have been safe at home), and it cost them the game. Simple as that. It's all on Salty. He should have kept that ball because Pete Kozma was the next batter up.

3N16MA

Banned

Craig did not interfere with Middlebrooks. Craig was sliding into third (which you're allowed to do) and it's not his fault that Saltalamacchia made a bad throw.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stark

It doesn't matter whether or not Middlebrooks then kicked both his legs into the air on purpose, tripping up Craig a second time and preventing him from scoring.

It. Doesn't. Matter.

All that matters, Joyce would explain patiently later, is that "the baserunner has every right to go unobstructed to home plate, and, unfortunately, for Middlebrooks, he was right there, and there was contact, so he could not advance to home plate naturally."

So whether anyone meant to initiate any of that contact, it's irrelevant. Once Will Middlebrooks tripped up Allen Craig, and once the umpires determined that he would have scored without that contact, nothing else mattered. And this game was over.

Rosenberg

Middlebrooks said he thought to call that, the obstruction had to be intentional. But as crew chief John Hirschbeck said: "There does not have to be intent, OK?" He knows the rules.

This has been an amazing World Series, filled with great players and great plays. But in so many ways, baseball is a game of failure. You throw the wrong pitch in the wrong place, swing at ball four, miss the cutoff man, misjudge a popup ... failure defines the game.

The Red Sox failed plenty in Game 4. Peavy was shaky -- he put seven men on base in four innings, and started so slowly that it seemed like Boston relievers warmed up as soon as he did. Farrell inexplicably had his pitcher bat in the ninth inning of a tie game, barely used his closer Koji Uehara, and never used his best bat off the bench, Mike Napoli.

Even on that last play, which started with an amazing play by Pedroia, there was failure: Saltalamacchia made a wild throw and Middlebrooks failed to reach it. It was understandable. It was baseball. The best players in the world will fail, but they also make amazing plays. Umpires do not have to make amazing plays. They just have to get the calls right. Three years after the low point of his professional life, Jim Joyce showed he has learned. This time, he was right.

Verducci

Only under NL rules do benches, strategy and the great pastime of second-guessing come this much into play.

Get this straight: The Red Sox did not lose on a bad call by third-base umpire Jim Joyce and home plate umpire Dana DeMuth. The umpires got the call right. The Red Sox lost because for a second straight game they threw a ball away from home plate to third base.

You can go an entire season without seeing two throws by the same team air-mailed from home to third that allowed the winning run to score. And yet Boston pitcher Craig Breslow and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia did exactly that in back-to-back games.

One thing I've been wondering about, was there a rule preventing Yadi from trying to collide with Salty and het him to drop the ball? Some kinda respect thing between catchers? Trying to keep the play alive and give Craig the opportunity to score?

Opiate

One thing I've been wondering about, was there a rule preventing Yadi from trying to collide with Salty and het him to drop the ball? Some kinda respect thing between catchers? Trying to keep the play alive and give Craig the opportunity to score?

The last explanation seems wildly implausible to me: it suggests some fantastic knowledge of the eventual outcome of what was by all accounts an extremely unusual play. The former two are possible. It might also have simply been to avoid injury for himself: Yadi is not an agile man.

No rule to prevent the collision, but probably a mutual catcher thing. Great decision as it turned out thanks to the shitty Salty throw.

Sanjuro

I need to go to the Red Sox reddit to see some homer complaining.

Jesus Chris. Just watch the fucking video! They blew the call last night. If the fucking umpire was looking in the correct direction, he would have clearly seen the offensive pass interference...but nooooOOOOOOOOOO

Opiate

The best shortstop on the free agent market this offseason is Stephen Drew.

Ugh. It's the one position we can't seem to fix.

pls no. i'll cry.

It's really nothing to do with me making fun of Boston, but to remind myself how happy I have been with the Drew family. I think J.D. Drew has done more for the Cards (what with being traded for Wainwright about a decade ago) but Stephen Drew is giving JD a run for his money this series/postseason.

I love the assumption most Red Sox fans will never get over this call and disagree with the umpires.

Most Sox fans I know, myself included, think it was the right call and that Farrell mismanaged the game in the late innings horribly.

Oh, and Saltalamacchia is not a popular man in Boston right now.

Top Bottom