• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

jman2050

Yeah, and there is about as much of a difference between the Diamondbacks and the Red Sox as there is between the Sox and the Yankees. Just because the Red Sox spend as much as most big payroll teams doesn't mean the Yankees don't spend significantly more than that. They are really in a league by themselves and it's foolish to infer otherwise.

This is certainly true to an extent. Thing is, no Yankee fan is going to apologize for them having a zillion dollar payroll, and they shouldn't.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not word for word, but he just basically said this:

Middlebrooks "I'm not in the baseline, I'm 5 feet out, the umpire told me I have to try and get myself out of there quicker"

And that would be correct.

At least Middlebrooks understands he obstructed.

rando14

Boston has the 5th Highest payroll at $140 Million, St. Louis is 14th with $102 Million. It's not like it's that huge a difference.

Believe me, I have no preference for either team. Boston did well to turn it around after the last couple of miserable seasons, and the cards are just an elite organization from top to bottom.

But most teams can only dream of 150, and Boston has been near the top for the past several years.

Haha, at the end of the day, who cares.

Sanjuro

Things that piss me off:

Yankee fans telling me that the Red Sox spend just as much as they do.

Red Sox fans telling me the Yankees just spend money.

Yankees are in another stratosphere when it comes to available money to spend, which is fine. It's them against everyone else in terms of potential payroll.

rando14

Yeah, and there is about as much of a difference between the Diamondbacks and the Red Sox as there is between the Sox and the Yankees. Just because the Red Sox spend as much as most big payroll teams doesn't mean the Yankees don't spend significantly more than that. They are really in a league by themselves and it's foolish to infer otherwise.

I think we can all agree to laugh together at the salaries the yanks have!

Opiate

There is still a $60 million difference between the two teams in 2013, lets not pretend the Yankees aren't in a class by themselves over the past decade when it comes to payroll. Yes, I agree that the Red Sox aren't the Astros, but the difference between 1st and 2nd/3rd is often two or three teams worth of players.

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-462765594

Yes, I'm sure all the other MLB teams feel bad for the Red Sox and the fact that they've averaged the third highest payroll in baseball over the last 5 years.

Look, it's fine. This isn't a complaint from me. The question was "how could anyone dislike the Red Sox?" And I'm giving some reasons. I could ask the same for the Cardinals, who are a team in a mid market that has just barely scratched the top third of payrolls over the last decade. But we're a consistently winning franchise that has decent money, so people will dislike them.

rando14

Things that piss me off:

Yankee fans telling me that the Red Sox spend just as much as they do.

Red Sox fans telling me the Yankees just spend money.

Yankees are in another stratosphere when it comes to available money to spend, which is fine. It's them against everyone else in terms of potential payroll.

Dodgers will be up there for a while as well. Those damn TV deals!

JCizzle

Yes, I'm sure all the other MLB teams feel bad for the Red Sox and the fact that they've averaged the third highest payroll in baseball over the last 5 years.

It's not that teams feel bad, it's that comparing the two teams by their payroll rankings isn't telling the full story. Compare them by the actual payroll numbers and compare that difference to the other teams in the league.

Opiate

It's not that teams feel bad, it's that comparing the two teams by their payroll rankings isn't telling the full story. Compare them by the actual payroll numbers and compare that difference to the other teams in the league.

The Red Sox are a Goliath of a team with a gigantic payroll. The Yankees are an even bigger Goliath. I don't think the Rays care very much that the Red Sox are "only" 6 times their payroll because the yankees are 9.

Again, it's fine. I'm not actually upset by it. The question was "how can anyone dislike the Red Sox?" I'm explaining the usual reasons. People dislike the Cardinals, too, and we're a mid market team with a notably smaller payroll than you who has won exactly as many world series as the Red Sox have in the last three decades.

I don't buy the Dodgers. Still imagine them in another embarrassing bankruptcy scenario soon. They're not the Lakers and never will be.

We'll get there. We're already blurring the lines.

get_image.aspx

2009%5C272%5C2009-09-29T220909Z_01_LUC12A_RTRIDSP_0_NBA.jpg

Networks are tripping over themselves to offer inflated TV deals right now. Sports are pretty much the only thing people don't DVR and watch later, allowing them to charge more for commercials. Dodgers and Lakers both have ridiculous TV deals.

Sanjuro

The Red Sox are a Goliath of a team with a gigantic payroll. The Yankees are an even bigger Goliath. I don't think the Rays care very much that the Red Sox are "only" 6 times their payroll because the yankees are 9.

The Devil Rays don't care much about anything in general.

JCizzle

They are a Goliath team that's very much in the same league as other Goliath teams like the Angels, Tigers, etc. relative to the Yankees, who have historically been all by themselves as a GOLIATH(?) team. That much money buys a lot of depth and you can't simply cluster them with other big market teams because they don't behave/spend like any other team in the league over the last however many years. Anytime any team beats the Yankees it should be celebrated because with that payroll they should beat anyone in the league.

Edit; I'm not upset either. It's just annoying to see the Red Sox/Yankees payroll comparison simply because they're always in the top-5 together without noting how big of a difference it normally is.

Opiate

They are a Goliath team that's very much in the same league as other Goliath teams like the Angels, Tigers, etc. relative to the Yankees, who have historically been all by themselves as a GOLIATH(?) team. That much money buys a lot of depth and you can't simply cluster them with other big market teams because they don't behave/spend like any other team in the league over the last however many years. Anytime any team beats the Yankees it should be celebrated because with that payroll they should beat anyone in the league.

I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the fans of smaller market teams don't typically see it from this position. From your relative position, yes, the Yankees are the bad guys because they're the only ones noticeably richer than you. From a team with less than a 90M payroll (i.e. more than half the league), you're all fat rich jerks and you aren't going to convince them that the Yankees are the only bad guys because they're super duper rich while you're only super rich.

JCizzle

I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the smaller market teams don't agree. From your relative position, yes, the Yankees are the bad guys. From a team with less than a 90M payroll (more than half the league), you're all fat rich jerks and you aren't going to convince them that the Yankees are the only bad guys because they're super duper rich while you're only super rich.

Well, I imagine the Astros probably applaud the Yankees since they get to mooch all that luxury tax money the Yanks spend (and the Sox skirt), no? :p

rando14

All this talk about rich teams and success has me sad as a marniners fan because we have money but don't spend it and we suck mega hard :-( hold me fellow loser bros!

cashman

Banned
All this talk about rich teams and success has me sad as a marniners fan because we have money but don't spend it and we suck mega hard :-( hold me fellow loser bros!
Nintendo has made a profit for like the two hundred years, the moneys coming soon bro!

JCizzle

And the Phillies I believe? And Dodgers. I can't remember off the top of my head anymore.

Only because I just looked it up: Yanks, Sox, Angels and Tigers are the only teams to ever pay. And apparently that money isn't split between the teams, but rather put towards "$5 million is withheld to cover potential refunds, and is contributed to the Industry Growth Fund (IGF) if no refunds are forthcoming. The remaining money is divided as follows: 50% funds player benefits, 25% funds developing baseball in countries without high school baseball, and 25% goes to the IGF.", which I never knew. I always assumed it was split amongst the league.

DarkFlow

Banned
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the fans of smaller market teams don't typically see it from this position. From your relative position, yes, the Yankees are the bad guys because they're the only ones noticeably richer than you. From a team with less than a 90M payroll (i.e. more than half the league), you're all fat rich jerks and you aren't going to convince them that the Yankees are the only bad guys because they're super duper rich while you're only super rich.

Only 8 teams are less then $80 million, and they are still all above 55 other then Miami and Houston. Baseball has kind of evened out with the payrolls other then the few top heavy teams. Hell 3 of the bottom 5 payrolls made the playoffs!

JCizzle

Regardless of that you realize the difference between the foul line and the base path, right?

Yes, but it's still a pretty iffy call either way. They could have not called anything and the outcry would have been a fraction of what this call resulted in (instead of 'WTF are you doing with that shit throw Salty?!' it's 'WTF are you doing running on a gimp leg Craig?!' - both valid observations). I don't think it's necessarily a black/white thing since we often see umpires 'ignore' the black/white interpretation of the rule book - e.g. fielders skirting second base to make double plays, runners diving into second basemen way outside the basepath, runners going to first way inside the basepath, etc.

Opiate

Only 8 teams are less then $80 million, and they are still all above 55 other then Miami and Houston. Baseball has kind of evened out with the payrolls other then the few top heavy teams. Hell 3 of the bottom 5 payrolls made the playoffs!

Well in that case why hate the Yankees? Payroll doesn't matter any more, and both the Cardinals and Red Sox have already won 1 more WS than the Yankees in the last decade!

KHarvey16

Yes, but it's still a pretty iffy call either way. They could have not called anything and the outcry would have been a fraction of what this call resulted in. I don't think it's necessarily a black/white thing since we often see umpires 'ignore' the black/white interpretation of the rule book - e.g. fielders skirting second base to make double plays, runners diving into second basemen way outside the basepath, runners going to first way inside the basepath, etc.

No, this was an easy straight forward call. Honestly. He was right in the way, the guy tripped and would have scored otherwise. Things like the neighborhood play aren't even close to this. They got it right and the fault lies with the catcher entirely.

neoemonk

How can anyone dislike the Red Sox?

This just sounds like "how can anyone have a different opinion than me?"

Is this even a real question?

we should all feel sorry for the red sox because they have to spend all that money to keep with the mean old rich Yankees. only reason the Red Sox haven't yet overpaid Ellsbury and Middlebrook and haven't have to hand out a victory lap tour contract to ortiz.

Fucking kidtendo made all that wii money and we never saw a lick of it! >:-( #boycottwiiu

what wii U money?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You're in a SportsGAF thread. Grow some thicker skin if you think people are "egging on" Sox fans.

Is DarkFlow new? I don't recall seeing him too much in past MLB threads.

Lol wtf?

All the people in here hating, shit ... half of them aren't even fuckin Card fans. It's sad. I hope we win this whole WS so you can all eat crow, crow covered in shit.

Don't venture into the Tom Brady hate thread, tons of general Boston hate in there too. ;P

Or any sports thread that involves a Boston team really.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is DarkFlow new? I don't recall seeing him too much in past MLB threads.

Don't venture into the Tom Brady hate thread, tons of general Boston hate in there too. ;P

Or any sports thread that involves a Boston team really.
I would post every now and then, but its kinda hard sometimes to get into sports threads. People have little groups and tend to ignore you.

UNCMark

Banned
I fell asleep just now saw the ending. Bullshit call!

But realistically yeah, we cheated. If he didn't, I doubt there would have even been a play at the plate. Good game, Cards. I hope we get a bunch more like it.

Just woke up and read the last 100-150 posts or so, I had a good laugh this morning at a couple of the more extreme ones.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game overall. The Cards need to not strand so many runners; the game should have ended as an 8-4 STL win after the top of the 9th, but we had to strand bases loaded with no outs in the 4th plus a few other issues with stranding runners sprinkled throughout the game. I also would have liked us to win by our own skill and no on a shitty throw by Salty who almost assuredly won't be starting tonight's game... meaning we've lost that avenue as a method to score.

I have to say, seeing Salty make the same bad throw that cost them the game in Game 2 is reminding me way too much of the 5 errors by Detroit's pitching staff in the 2006 WS. We won that series thanks largely to those errors... and I suspect we could win this series the same way. There was a fan in the stands at the 2006 WS with a sign that read "HIT IT TO THE PITCHER!" so we need to send out a "HIT IT TO ANYONE NEAR/BEHIND HOME PLATE" for this series if this madness keeps up.

UNCMark

Banned
Just woke up and read the last 100-150 posts or so, I had a good laugh this morning at a couple of the more extreme ones.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game overall. The Cards need to not strand so many runners; the game should have ended as an 8-4 STL win after the top of the 9th, but we had to strand bases loaded with no outs in the 4th plus a few other issues with stranding runners sprinkled throughout the game. I also would have liked us to win by our own skill and no on a shitty throw by Salty who almost assuredly won't be starting tonight's game... meaning we've lost that avenue as a method to score.

I have to say, seeing Salty make the same bad throw that cost them the game in Game 2 is reminding me way too much of the 5 errors by Detroit's pitching staff in the 2006 WS. We won that series thanks largely to those errors... and I suspect we could win this series the same way. There was a fan in the stands at the 2006 WS with a sign that read "HIT IT TO THE PITCHER!" so we need to send out a "HIT IT TO ANYONE NEAR/BEHIND HOME PLATE" for this series if this madness keeps up.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Salty who made the shitty throw in game 2. That was the pitcher, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Salty who made the shitty throw in game 2. That was the pitcher, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, I meant to say that his throw was the same bad throw/play the pitcher made in Game 2, not that Salty did it twice. Salty's throw was certainly better than the Game 2 throw, but it was still an overall similar scenario.

Top Bottom