• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

Link

The Autumn Wind
iHFjNtcCIvQsj.gif

He collides with Middlebrooks left leg, initiating the contact, then touches him again while he's on the ground. Also, Craig doesn't trip over Middlebrooks feet, he trips on his thigh.
You know this doesn't matter, right?

zychi

Banned
Middlebrooks said he didn't regret diving for that ball because he had to.

He didn't dive for the ball, he was playing the ball, and Craig hit him(legally) which caused him to fall to the ground. The initial contact of Craig sliding into Middlebrooks led to the obstruction. It wasn't Middlebrooks fault, it was Craig's

jman2050

A) Craig starts running home
B) Middlebrooks is right in the middle of Craig's path to home plate
C) Middlebrooks does not have the ball nor is he attempting to field a ball near him.

There, obstruction. Every other ancillary detail literally does not matter at all. Not even a little bit.

KHarvey16

He had to because salty made a shitty unnecessary throw. Not enough people here ripping him.

Oh yeah, anyone paying attention knows this is 100% on him. He eats that ball like he should have and the inning progresses like normal. They're probably still playing.

KHarvey16

He didn't dive for the ball, he was playing the ball, and Craig hit him(legally) which caused him to fall to the ground. The initial contact of Craig sliding into Middlebrooks led to the obstruction. It wasn't Middlebrooks fault, it was Craig's

You should inform Middlebrooks. He dove and said he had no where to go. He didn't fall.

zychi

Banned
A) Craig starts running home
B) Middlebrooks is right in the middle of Craig's path to home plate
C) Middlebrooks does not have the ball nor is he attempting to field a ball near him.

There, obstruction. Every other ancillary detail literally does not matter at all. Not even a little bit.

Do you watch football? Let me compare it to a different rule.

When a WR and a CB's legs get tied up unintentionally, they don't usually call Pass Interference, because it's not either players fault.

In this case, Craig's slide caused Middlebrooks to the ground, which in turn caused the obstruction because he was hit in the leg causing him to lose his balance and go to the ground. If Craig never slid into Middlebrooks' leg and it was just Middlebrooks independently diving for the ball, I completely understand the obstruction call, but Craig initiated and forced Middlebrooks to the ground.

Link

The Autumn Wind

When a WR and a CB's legs get tied up unintentionally, they don't usually call Pass Interference, because it's not either players fault.

In this case, Craig's slide caused Middlebrooks to the ground, which in turn caused the obstruction because he was hit in the leg causing him to lose his balance and go to the ground. If Craig never slid into Middlebrooks' leg and it was just Middlebrooks independently diving for the ball, I completely understand the obstruction call, but Craig initiated and forced Middlebrooks to the ground.
If only MLB and the NFL shared a rule book!

jman2050

Is this the NFL? Do judgment calls in the NFL have any relevancy to the rules of the MLB? No? Then why even bring it up.

Also read my last sentence again. Any other details besides the ones I posted do. not. matter. End of discussion.

oatmeal

Banned
It'd be awesome if the sox/pats could just lose and not always have some stupid subjective call decide the end.

If only baseball had common sense rules. Like the elbow pad hit on Beltran counting, when he should've gotten out of the way.

Careful, our 2-hole hitter is only getting on base because he crowds the plate.

He collides with Middlebrooks left leg, initiating the contact, then touches him again while he's on the ground. Also, Craig doesn't trip over Middlebrooks feet, he trips on his thigh.

Wrong. Watch the overhead broadcast angle. Craig makes no contact with Middlebrooks on the slide; Middlebrooks falls on his own.

Godslay

Banned

Cross sports arguments? Shame on you. I'm off to bed with this one.

Sanjuro

Is this the NFL? Do judgment calls in the NFL have any relevancy to the rules of the MLB? No? Then why even bring it up.

Also read my last sentence again. Any other details besides the ones I posted do. not. matter. End of discussion.

Towards the call? No. Hypothetical discussion and revisionist history are still relevant.

Opiate

Yeah, and do you watch the WWE? Tripping a player would totally be allowed there. Craig should feel lucky he wasn't hit by a chair on the way home.

zychi

Banned
Yeah, and do you watch the WWE? Tripping a player would totally be allowed there. Craig should feel lucky he wasn't hit by a chair on the way home.
At least that would explain the shittiness of the umps for both teams in this series and during the ALCS

Opiate

I don't get the Boston hate, it's not like we are WS dominators. We have 2 wins in 101 years, while STL has 11.

From a New Yorker, I can say that I was always amazed at the sort of David-Vs-Goliath framing of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. Yes, the Yankees are the richest team in baseball; the Red Sox are 2nd or 3rd. It's more like Goliath vs A-Slightly-Smaller-Goliath.

You're a very rich team that has won the WS twice in the last decade. That's all it takes, really.

DarkFlow

Banned
From a New Yorker, I can say that I was always amazed at the sort of David-Vs-Goliath framing of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. Yes, the Yankees are the richest team in baseball; the Red Sox are 2nd or 3rd. It is, if anything, Goliath vs. a slightly smaller goliath.

You're a very rich team that has won the WS twice in the last decade. That's all it takes, really.

lol a rivalry means both teams win sometimes. Till 04, it was more like a yearly beat down.

Also Stl has the same amount this decade :)

JCizzle

From a New Yorker, I can say that I was always amazed at the sort of David-Vs-Goliath framing of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. Yes, the Yankees are the richest team in baseball; the Red Sox are 2nd or 3rd. It's more like Goliath vs A-Slightly-Smaller-Goliath.

There is still a $60+ million difference between the two teams in 2013, lets not pretend the Yankees aren't in a class by themselves over the past decade when it comes to payroll. Yes, I agree that the Red Sox aren't the Astros, but the difference between 1st and 2nd/3rd is often two or three teams worth of players.

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-462765594

jman2050

I don't get the Boston hate, it's not like we are WS dominators. We have 6 wins in 101 years, while STL has 11.

Seriously, does every Red Sox fan have to fit the same severely annoying passive-aggressive woe-is-us mold? Can't you just appreciate having a good team to root for without trying to push your unsympathetic inferiority complex down everyone's throats?

eIaudxf.gif

Middlebrooks wasn't taken out on the slide. Watch the overhead view, they didn't knock knees or anything. There wasn't any contact before Middlebrooks fell over.

Sounds like New York to me!

New York sounds like it has an inferiority complex to you? If anything New Yorkers are insufferably smug and superior. Best city in the world, 27 rings, etc.

Sanjuro

Seriously, does every Red Sox fan have to fit the same severely annoying passive-aggressive woe-is-us mold? Can't you just appreciate having a good team to root for without trying to push your unsympathetic inferiority complex down everyone's throats?

Sounds like New York to me!

DarkFlow

Banned

Thanks for proving my point. Did the Red Sox run over your dog?

rando14

There is still a $60+ million difference between the two teams in 2013, lets not pretend the Yankees aren't in a class by themselves over the past decade when it comes to payroll. Yes, I agree that the Red Sox aren't the Astros, but the difference between 1st and 2nd/3rd is often two or three teams worth of players.

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-462765594

You're not going to find much sympathy when you guys have a $160 million payroll. As for the Yankees, they've made their bed and are sleeping in it.

Riggs

Banned

Lol wtf?

All the people in here hating, shit ... half of them aren't even fuckin Card fans. It's sad. I hope we win this whole WS so you can all eat crow, crow covered in shit.

DarkFlow

Banned
You're not going to find much sympathy when you guys have a $160 million payroll. As for the Yankees, they've made their bed and are sleeping in it.

Boston has the 5th Highest payroll at $140 Million, St. Louis is 14th with $102 Million. It's not like it's that huge a difference.

KHarvey16

Lol wtf?

All the people in here hating, shit ... half of them aren't even fuckin Card fans. It's sad. I hope we win this whole WS so you can all eat crow, crow covered in shit.

Is explaining the rule properly somehow hating on the sox? The correct call was clearly made.

JCizzle

Yeah, and there is about as much of a difference between the Diamondbacks and the Red Sox as there is between the Sox and the Yankees. Just because the Red Sox spend as much as most big payroll teams doesn't mean the Yankees don't spend significantly more than that. They are really in a league by themselves and it's foolish to infer otherwise.

zychi

Banned
Not word for word, but he just basically said this:

Middlebrooks "I'm not in the baseline, I'm 5 feet out, the umpire told me I have to try and get myself out of there quicker"

Top Bottom