• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Got home from seeing Sigur Ros to watch the end of the Dodgers game, completely missed the Rays game. These guys just won't quit

Talon

Fireable offense, definitely.

Talon: 2010 was a shitshow with the injuries. Even then it was a close series. A little better luck and they could have won it.

And I think you're underestimating the intellectualism of the front office, although the result is probably the same for political reasons. I want Fredi gone, but I don't know who they would replace him with that would be any better.
We could have won it, but I don't know if we expected to. Again, fucking short series.

I'm not saying there's none there, but we were one of the last teams to have analytical departments. In 2007, we were reaching out to Baseball Prospectus for research because we didn't have internal folks.

Anyways, we won the division when most of us (besides you) didn't expect to. We're ahead of schedule as they say. Just with two huge albatrosses on the roster.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
We could have won it, but I don't know if we expected to. Again, fucking short series.

I'm not saying there's none there, but we were one of the last teams to have analytical departments. In 2007, we were reaching out to Baseball Prospectus for research because we didn't have internal folks.

Anyways, we won the division when most of us (besides you) didn't expect to. We're ahead of schedule as they say. Just with two huge albatrosses on the roster.
I think, based on interviews, the FO has come a long way since then. But you highlight the issue that I still have with the organization: John Schuerholz. He is the old school element, and I don't think the team will be ready to move on from that mindset until he leaves.

Talon

I think, based on interviews, the FO has come a long way since then. But you highlight the issue that I still have with the organization: John Schuerholz. He is the old school element, and I don't think the team will be ready to move on from that mindset until he leaves.
It's annoying to think that Bobby's undying loyalty to scuffling vets will probably apply to Fredi as long as he is alive.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Talon: 2010 was a shitshow with the injuries. Even then it was a close series. A little better luck and they could have won it.

And I think you're underestimating the intellectualism of the front office, although the result is probably the same for political reasons. I want Fredi gone, but I don't know who they would replace him with that would be any better.
Manny Acta maybe? /shrug

Val.jpg

How about Pendleton?

Also Uribe's Hr was the biggest since Mikey in '88. I also want to say Steve Finley.

Grienke game 1, Kersh game 2

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2010: Brooks Conrad
2011: Hurricane Irene
2012: Infield Fly Rule
2013: David Carpenter
2005 fucker that hit that hr
2004 another astros fucker
2003 kerry wood, mark pyror
2002 juicer
2001 randy johnson, thief
etc...
1996: DON"T THROW THAT SLIDER
1995: Yay
fuck the twins

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
2005 fucker that hit that hr
2004 another astros fucker
2003 kerry wood, mark pyror
2002 juicer
2001 randy johnson, thief
etc...
1996: DON"T THROW THAT SLIDER
1995: Yay
fuck the twins

after that 96 series, I stopped watching or caring about baseball.

shwimpy

game 2 i think

grienke will go first

also i read earlier ethier could be back to starting form by the NLCS?

that could be huge

schumaker hasnt done much
andre said in an interview earlier that he ran the bases for the first time today. not a good sign but he does have 3 more days to heal up.

xbhaskarx

My photo of Vogt's game winning hit from Saturday's game, I had a feeling that was going to be the last pitch and snapped it right as he made contact...

I think, based on interviews, the FO has come a long way since then.

I was sitting right next to the scout for the Atlanta Braves (check out his ring):
His name is Tom Davis, nice guy, obviously knew his baseball, but as I looked at his game notes like "swings at the first pitch", "fastball down and away", "K down and away"... I wondered what insight he provided that wouldn't be evident to someone (even a casual viewer) watching the game on TV or even just looking at Pitchfx. And he left around the 7th inning. The whole thing seemed straight out of Moneyball (the book)... Obviously there were scouts from other teams as well so it's not just a Braves thing but I saw these comments and thought I'd mention it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yep
My photo of Vogt's game winning hit from Saturday's game, I had a feeling that was going to be the last pitch and snapped it right as he made contact...

I was sitting right next to the scout for the Atlanta Braves (check out his ring):

His name is Tom Davis, nice guy, obviously knew his baseball, but as I looked at his game notes like "swings at the first pitch", "fastball down and away", "K down and away"... I wondered what insight he provided that wouldn't be evident to someone (even a casual viewer) watching the game on TV or even just looking at Pitchfx. And he left around the 7th inning. The whole thing seemed straight out of Moneyball (the book)... Obviously there were scouts from other teams as well so it's not just a Braves thing but I saw these comments and thought I'd mention it.
Well yeah, they still have a large scouting department that they rely on. I don't know enough to understand the process of being a scout, but the Braves are big believers in marrying scouting with statistical analysis. Generally, it seems to be working for them.

Top Bottom