• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

Opiate

That's what the Cardinals do. That's why I didn't want to face them.

Fuck Young

He's been dog shit for the Dodgers.

He had negative WAR before he joined the Dodgers. He's just one of those players that seems good based on superficial stats but even in his prime wasn't that good.

Dante Bichette remains the premier of example of this phenomenon to me. 4 time all star, made nearly 50 million dollars over his entire career, with a career WAR of 5.5.

Meier

Colletti got greedy. Marmol was pretty good for us, Volquez was acceptable.. thought he could go to well one more time for washed up dudes and it bit him hard on Young.

I had to crash last night around the 7th inning (hence my radio silence on GAF), but watched the highlights/read the thread just now.

I've been saying it, but damn Beltran wants dat ring. You're going to have to bean him in the face three times in one game to get him to stop getting RBIs in the postseason.

verbum

They were showing the Dodgers' stats when the game began. Brave's pitching stunk in post season. No where to go but up, I hope.

cashman

Banned
I'm always amused when they show statistics like "Matt Holliday is 6 for 33 in his career against the Dodgers" or something like that as if this represents anything meaningful. Who is "The Dodgers?" I can imagine a single batter having a particularly tough time against a particular pitcher, but not a batter having trouble with all pitchers who happen to wear a Dodgers uniform over the course of 10+ years. In almost all of these cases any dramatic overperformance or underperformance can more likely be attributed to random chance, and I'd say the same of our record against Kershaw (With the knowledge that our offense is reasonably good in general).

That stuff is just for narrative

Andre Ethier is not in the lineup for Game 2. Skip Schumaker is in CF.

Tigers added Phil Coke to the ALCS roster. Luke Putkonen was removed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

CC- Ended season on DL
Kuroda- FA, don't know if he'll resign
Nova- Besides Andy he was the only reliable starter at the end of the season.
Pineda- Don't even know if/when he'll be promoted to the majors.

That's not exactly a strong rotation in need of a single decent 5th starter. They only have 2 starters that we know will be there opening day.

Yes I do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/66042/tanaka-justifying-189-million

Yankees gonna go hard after Tanaka. I fully expect them to throw a shitload of money for his rights because none of that counts for the $189 million.

Doomsayer

It was a damn good game yesterday - just a shame the Dodgers couldn't come out on top.

No idea why we pulled Gonzales so quickly, we could've used his bat in extras. Mattingly has a tendency to over manage, it looks good when it works but he looks dumb when it doesn't.

Now today with no Ethier and possibly no Hanley, it will be tough to steal this one. Hopefully Kersh can bring his filthy stuff today and not give up a run... it's really our best shot.

Opiate

That stuff is just for narrative

I understand, but it's narrative that many people take seriously. Even more broadly, there is a lot of random noise in sports that people build narratives out of and then (in my experience) they become irritated if you point out that the narrative is an illusory attempt by their brains to create meaning out of random noise. I find Apophenia fascinating!

BFIB

Cards always aggressive against Kershaw. Blown opportunity there, but a good sign that Marp is getting back on track.

D

Deleted member 13414

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully its not broken ribs for hanley that would be terrible.

D

Deleted member 13414

Unconfirmed Member
Did local reports say that? If so, that's a bummer.
Craig Sager came on before the top of the 2nd inning and said that Hanley tried swinging the bat and couldn't and then he said Hanley has left to get some x rays.

Top Bottom