• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Interesting discussion on MLB on XM right now regarding blacks in the MLB. A few people have called in to say that baseball is considered a "white" sport by urban youths. I'd never really heard of that.

Interesting discussion on MLB on XM right now regarding blacks in the MLB. A few people have called in to say that baseball is considered a "white" sport by urban youths. I'd never really heard of that.

I teach at an urban school and they had to drop baseball a few years ago due to not having enough kids interested, whereas football and basketball teams have to turn kids down because so many try out for them. I have also never heard anyone call baseball a white sport but it definitely seems to be less popular with the youth now for what ever reason.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I guess I always assumed it was because it's slow and a baseball field is sort of expensive and specific to maintain.

Yeah, I guess I always assumed it was because it's slow and a baseball field is sort of expensive and specific to maintain.

You don't even need a field, just enough open space, which itself I'm sure is a precious commodity. I was going to mention something about the equipment necessary, but kids have been playing ball with sticks and anything round for generations. I think baseball just got a little less sexy somehow, and it's snowballed ever since. I always wondered if Melvin was trying to poke at that dynamic by putting together a team that had as many American born black players as the '08 Brewers, if it was chemistry-driven, or entirely coincidental.

eznark

Banned
You don't even need a field, just enough open space, which itself I'm sure is a precious commodity. I was going to mention something about the equipment necessary, but kids have been playing ball with sticks and anything round for generations. I think baseball just got a little less sexy somehow, and it's snowballed ever since. I always wondered if Melvin was trying to poke at that dynamic by putting together a team that had as many American born black players as the '08 Brewers, if it was chemistry-driven, or entirely coincidental.

I imagine it was entirely coincidental but I did find it humorous, at the time, that race baiter Eugene Kane went on a tear about how awful it was that the Brewers were so lily white dotted with hispanics a mere few weeks before they fielded a team with the most African American starters in baseball.

I don't really understand the handwringing personally. Are there a lot of black commentators demanding more blacks in the soccer league? Is there a league of Asians furious that there are no Asian pro bowlers? Why no white outrage about the disproportionate makeup of the NBA?

Why does it need to be "fixed" in the first place? For whatever reason black kids don't want to play baseball. Why should anyone try and socially engineer them to do so?

I imagine it was entirely coincidental but I did find it humorous, at the time, that race baiter Eugene Kane went on a tear about how awful it was that the Brewers were so lily white dotted with hispanics a mere few weeks before they fielded a team with the most African American starters in baseball.

I don't really understand the handwringing personally. Are there a lot of black commentators demanding more blacks in the soccer league? Is there a league of Asians furious that there are no Asian pro bowlers? Why no white outrage about the disproportionate makeup of the NBA?

Why does it need to be "fixed" in the first place? For whatever reason black kids don't want to play baseball. Why should anyone try and socially engineer them to do so?

I think it's because they were there and now aren't. There were African American stars all over the league on both sides of the ball in the 60s and 70s.

BFIB

Baseball isn't part of black culture.

Doesn't mean it won't change in the future, but that's the case now. There's nothing to "fix". NBA and the NFL are more popular.

Sanjuro

In honor of Red Sox Legend, Mo Vaughn, each team will be wearing the number 42 on the field today. Never forget.

bgQleNW.jpg

eznark

Banned
Puig is still slaughtering the baseball. I wish a Dodgers outfielder would get hurt so they'd just call him up already.

cashman

Banned

Select baseball is expensive and like 90% white. You can't become good at baseball just by staying at the playground like you can in football and basketball.

Dragon

Banned
Select baseball is expensive and like 90% white. You can't become good at baseball just by staying at the playground like you can in football and basketball.

Yeah I'm sure dominicans and puerto ricans sure have all the advantages that us lucky white folks have!

Kinda weird how "urban youths" dug baseball for 100 years, though and it only became an outdated, slow white person's game in the last 20 years or so.

Of course, it HAS stayed popular in places like NY and STL. Huh. Now why would that be?

Kinda weird how "urban youths" dug baseball for 100 years, though and it only became an outdated, slow white person's game in the last 20 years or so.

Of course, it HAS stayed popular in places like NY and STL. Huh. Now why would that be?

It is pretty popular around here though there do seem to be more whites who participate. Even had a few Little League World Series teams from here.

We started hosting the Southeast regionals not long ago too.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

I'd imagine in St Louis it's just so ingrained into the culture, plus there's no big NBA team for people to follow

eznark

Banned

Are you claiming black people are bandwagon jumpers? How dare you.

I blame video games.

To clarify, I'm being a little snarky with the second sentence and implying that market disparity (or at least winning record disparity, regardless of the cause) HAS taken its toll on the game since the mid 90's.

But if I'm wrong and it's not that, I do wonder why it was fast paced enough for kids in the 20's, kids in the 40s, kids in the 60's and kids in the 80's but only now have kids (and adults) decided it's too slow and old fashioned. I mean, it's not like Basketball and Football weren't alternatives all that time too.

eznark

Banned
I'm pulling this out of my ass a bit and doing so on the fly, dangerous territory in this type of discussion but:

Baseball broke the color barrier over a decade before some of the SEC schools started allowing blacks on the field. Baseball has always been a sort of more northern centered sport, while football more southern, at least in dominance. I wonder if some of the reasons that "black culture" was more into baseball for a time was because of that perception and as that fell away a bit, the culture shifted away from baseball for some reason.

Eh, I kind of lost steam halfway through that theory.

Talon

I'm pulling this out of my ass a bit and doing so on the fly, dangerous territory in this type of discussion but:

Baseball broke the color barrier over a decade before some of the SEC schools started allowing blacks on the field. Baseball has always been a sort of more northern centered sport, while football more southern, at least in dominance. I wonder if some of the reasons that "black culture" was more into baseball for a time was because of that perception and as that fell away a bit, the culture shifted away from baseball for some reason.

Eh, I kind of lost steam halfway through that theory.
Yeah, this theory only works if the country doesn't have a vast history aligned with baseball at the youth, high school, and travel level.

Baseball is second only to Football in the state of Georgia. People love 'em some batting and pitching.

I don't buy into the "baseball is expensive" part of the discussion. That absolutely works for tennis and golf, but I think it suffered more from basketball absolutely exploding in the '80s, followed shortly by football.

Yeah, this theory only works if the country doesn't have a vast history aligned with baseball at the youth, high school, and travel level.

Baseball is second only to Football in the state of Georgia. People love 'em some batting and pitching.

I don't buy into the "baseball is expensive" part of the discussion. That absolutely works for tennis and golf, but I think it suffered more from basketball absolutely exploding in the '80s, followed shortly by football.

Yep, just reference my post above. I live in Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom