• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really just Boggs and Kelly so far.

Everyone else ranges from "quite good" to "decent enough." Those two have quite a few innings and combine for a 10+ era. It would be one thing if Boggs had only pitched 3-4 innings and had simply gotten shelled once. Small sample size, and all. But Boggs is already at 10.2 innings which puts him on pace for nearly 60 innings; you can't have a full load relief pitcher run a 12 ERA.
Salas and the aforementioned Scrabble are garbage as well. They just haven't been as abysmal as Boggs and Kelly have been. We essentially have 2.5 reliable relievers right now (Rosenthal, Mujica, Choate) and we can't pitch them every game. We also can't expect our starters to keep up their unreal performance all season (our bullpen has pitched the 3rd fewest innings in the majors - imagine how bad it would be if they had to pitch more often).

We need at least one upgrade but two would be optimal.

Opiate

Salas and the aforementioned Scrabble are garbage as well. They just haven't been as abysmal as Boggs and Kelly have been. We essentially have 2.5 reliable relievers right now (Rosenthal, Mujica, Choate) and we can't pitch them every game. We also can't expect our starters to keep up their unreal performance all season (our bullpen has pitched the 3rd fewest innings in the majors - imagine how bad it would be if they had to pitch more often).

I don't disagree with this, but I just want to point out that getting 2 relief pitchers isn't nearly as dramatic a "complete overhaul."

Some holes are very difficult to fill, but finding two relief arms is about as easy as it gets. Call a couple people up from the minors and see who sticks; trade a few marginal prospects for some 7th inning guys, and so forth. It's the easiest possible problem to solve of all possible problems a club can have.

bozeman

Thinking about it...a Wacha call up might happen but maybe not unless/until they need a starter. BUT I wouldn't be surprised by a mid/late June call up for Carlos Martinez for the bullpen.

edit--I also agree with Opiate. What did we give up for Mujica?

Astros announcers just an inning ago were talking about Pujols' stats and Beltran's stats being pretty much equal. I'm rooting for Albert (really, I am) but I don't think the window for success is 8+ more seasons long for him.
Albert's numbers have really fallen off since I predicted for him to have a strong rebound season. Ooops. Part of that may or may not be the plantar fasciitis, but his rate stats are well below Beltran's at this point.

I don't disagree with this, but I just want to point out that getting 2 relief pitchers isn't nearly as dramatic a "complete overhaul."
Good thing I didn't say we needed to overhaul the bullpen then?

I think I posted a week or so ago, we just need a good reliever to pitch the 7th. Rosenthal/Mujica should be able to handle the 8th/9th.

Here we go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55276208&postcount=11681

McNei1y

untuck.gifc7yi0.gif

NATS WIN

3 straight innings Tigers just need a base hit to take the lead and nothing. How do you get a lead off double against the 'stros in extra innings and turn that into absolutely nothing but disappointment.

bozeman

3 straight innings Tigers just need a base hit to take the lead and nothing. How do you get a lead off double against the 'stros in extra innings and turn that into absolutely nothing but disappointment.

I'm just amazed about how empty the stadium is. I mean, I know, its the Astros. But I've never heard the crack of the bat echo off empty chairs in a stadium before.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Was anyone able to get the mlb.tv deal to work that Zep posted? Couldn't for me.

Yup.

First time it didn't work, then I did a different decode and it worked.

Intentionally Walking Miggy then Prince. Good call. Take the bats out of their most dangerous hitters.

zulux21

Yup.

First time it didn't work, then I did a different decode and it worked.

Intentionally Walking Miggy then Prince. Good call. Take the bats out of their most dangerous hitters.

i just tried and indeed the first time it failed, the second time it got me there, but it won't let me pay with paypal and I don't want to add a credit card.

oh well maybe I will try again later, but my white sox suck so my motivate to watch them right now is low, especially since i have been really busy with work.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
i just tried and indeed the first time it failed, the second time it got me there, but it won't let me pay with paypal and I don't want to add a credit card.

oh well maybe I will try again later, but my white sox suck so my motivate to watch them right now is low, especially since i have been really busy with work.

I really don't know what's motivating me to watch, masochism? Maybe. It was only 3 bucks so I just said ah fuck it.

I'm just amazed about how empty the stadium is. I mean, I know, its the Astros. But I've never heard the crack of the bat echo off empty chairs in a stadium before.

I stayed up and watched that 15 inning Mets-Marlins game played in Miami the other night, I think they used more bullpen pitchers than people in the stands.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You're a real fan dude.

Also Metal Gear Revengeance, yay or nay?

Hah, thanks. It's painful now, but they'll get there.

I've only played the demo of Regenence, so I really can't say one way or the other. Had some trouble due to a broken PS3 controller. (Which I didn't realize was broken until I started playing another game and when I moved the controller the R1 button would just randomly activate). I should try it again sometime.

zulux21

Not the first series loss, but over the last two years the Rangers have a 4-8 record against the sox

ah yeah you are right, it wasn't the first series loss last year it was the first time you were swept.

I really don't know what's motivating me to watch, masochism? Maybe. It was only 3 bucks so I just said ah fuck it.

you seem to be an astro's fan, and I would imagine watching the young talent hopefully grow into something is why you are watching. I can have fun doing that, watching something like adam dunn strike out for the third time in a game with runners in scoring position again is just frustrating as I know he isn't going to grow into a great player, he is just going to continue to suck :/

that being said I have been enjoying following Conor Gillaspie.

Sanjuro

Blue Jays are salty as fuck. First they stabbed Farrell viciously in the back, now they are accusing our pitchers of cheating without any sort of merit?

Better hope Melky gives Ronero the good stuff.

Blue Jays are salty as fuck. First they stabbed Farrell viciously in the back, now they are accusing our pitchers of cheating without any sort of merit?

Better hope Melky gives Ronero the good stuff.

Stabbed Farrell in the back by releasing him to his dream job?

BFIB

Milwaukee, the Cards tried to give you the game last night, did you not want it?

That bullpen is fucking terrible.

EDIT:

Boggs sent to Memphis, Carlos Martinez, welcome to The Show!

Really impressive the way Haren has bounced back against some good comp after his terribad debut. Pitching is starting to look good.

Hitting is still pretty awful though. SMH.

Some holes are very difficult to fill, but finding two relief arms is about as easy as it gets. Call a couple people up from the minors and see who sticks; trade a few marginal prospects for some 7th inning guys, and so forth. It's the easiest possible problem to solve of all possible problems a club can have.

I agree with this, but until the coaching staff actually proves this is true, I'll continue to be frustrated as hell. This is the worst the bullpen has been in as long as I can remember. Even with Isringhausen started to go to shit, we still had some decent set-up guys. This is a situation where roughly half the bullpen is completely unreliable, and at best, we have ~2 decent/average relievers.

ohcubs.gif

Embarrassing.

eznark

Banned
Eating breakfast with my 2 year old daughter this morning and had MLBN on in the background. Between bites of cereal she causally looked up at the TV as someone made a diving catch. Totally without prompting she exclaims "wow, great catch!"

I am so proud. Her recognition of excellent performances in a baseball game is a milestone that far surpasses her first words and walking. What a great day!

bozeman

Yeah, I'm kind of excited about Carlos Martinez, although the burden of stabilizing a bullpen is pretty big to place on the shoulders of a guy who's never been above AA. Plus he missed all of Spring Training with visa issues so he might still just be getting loose.

This Jays announcers/Sox cheating thing...I don't buy it. But then again, I don't understand the need to put rosin on your forearm when there's a bag of the stuff on every pitching mound. Of course, now I'll be watching the pitcher between every pitch to see if it is a common practice. Jack Morris insists Clay was throwing spitballs.

Sanjuro

Yeah, I'm kind of excited about Carlos Martinez, although the burden of stabilizing a bullpen is pretty big to place on the shoulders of a guy who's never been above AA. Plus he missed all of Spring Training with visa issues so he might still just be getting loose.

This Jays announcers/Sox cheating thing...I don't buy it. But then again, I don't understand the need to put rosin on your forearm when there's a bag of the stuff on every pitching mound. Of course, now I'll be watching the pitcher between every pitch to see if it is a common practice. Jack Morris insists Clay was throwing spitballs.

Sweaty fingertips. Rosin on your forearm, mix.

Looking forward to the Ranger series. They should be about a thousand percent less salty than Toronto and their tight buttholes.

I think you can only go to the rosin bag itself once in between batters, which is why a lot of guys put it on the bill of their cap. I must admit, the stuff on Clay's arm looks a little weird. MLB Network did a side-by-side showing that in 2012, he didn't have anything greasy or shiny on his arm.

Did anyone within the Jays organization actually make an accusation? If not, they need to shut their booth the fuck up. That makes the team look incredibly bad.

eznark

Banned
I think you can only go to the rosin bag itself once in between batters, which is why a lot of guys put it on the bill of their cap. I must admit, the stuff on Clay's arm looks a little weird. MLB Network did a side-by-side showing that in 2012, he didn't have anything greasy or shiny on his arm.

The claim was he had something on his arm (and in his hair) that wasn't rosin. The Red Sox are claiming it was just rosin.

Did anyone within the Jays organization actually make an accusation? If not, they need to shut their booth the fuck up. That makes the team look incredibly bad.

Incredibly bad how? Teams have been accusing the Brewers of cheating by stealing signs in Miller Park for three years and I haven't seen the accusers being somehow negatively impacted.

Sanjuro

Right now it's just members of both their radio and television broadcast team. Hayhurst has ramped up his comments even further today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom