• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Good start to the series. Just have to hope they can take 2 out of the next 3 then go into Arizona and beat the living shit out of them.

zulux21

Angels won? I hope this is the beginning of the resurgence of the Los Angeles teams. I need some of that winning to rub onto the Dodgers!

im really hoping they don't start winning until the 20th or so... as I really want them to lose 7 of their next 10 games (they can win the ones against KC but I want the white sox to destroy them lol)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Gonzalez credited Teheran's success to his willingness to throw his changeup, which he had been hesitant to throw in his previous five starts. The young hurler struggled to command the pitch when he changed grips last year. But in this outing, he went back to the grip he had used when his changeup was considered one of his better pitches during his early Minor League days.
braves need to stop messing with him.

eznark

Banned
Anyone else going to the Reds - Brewers game tonight? Assuming the weather isn't shitty I'm heading down. Fucking pumped to see Cingrani.

Is there any truth to the Utley to Baltimore rumor? We definitely need a second baseman, but I wouldn't want to part with much for a rental.

I heard that on CSN the other day, they said it was only if the Phils are out of it around the deadline but there is no way that will happen. They always do better in the 2nd half under manuel and they are only a few games out of the WC spot now. No way would Ruben trade their most popular player if there is any chance of making the playoffs. Phils only have a year or 2 left before they have to blow stuff up and totally start over. No sense in trading Utley.

The second Wild Card is going to stop a lot of people from unloading now, even if they are a few games below .500 on July 30. Remember how the Phillies and Brewers came almost out of nowhere last year and got within two games of the second Wild Card at the end of the season?

see5harp

What about Bumgarner? He's been dam. Good so far.

Okay yea mad bum has been really good. It really seems like with all of our starters, it's the one big inning in teh middle of the game that does it and it's some error that keeps a rally going.

I really hope that baseball takes away replay power from the crew chief. On Mike and Mike they said that the other umps were asking Angel to overturn the call but he refused. There has to be a way to fix that. Maybe they should do like hockey does and have the replays go to a different location where the call can be made.

Riggs

Banned
I really hope that baseball takes away replay power from the crew chief. On Mike and Mike they said that the other umps were asking Angel to overturn the call but he refused. There has to be a way to fix that. Maybe they should do like hockey does and have the replays go to a different location where the call can be made.

Angel .... lol

Dude is a joke.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The second Wild Card is going to stop a lot of people from unloading now, even if they are a few games below .500 on July 30. Remember how the Phillies and Brewers came almost out of nowhere last year and got within two games of the second Wild Card at the end of the season?
The changes in the latest cba about pick compensation should balance out the demands from the few sellers, so i think the prices for players will remain similar. I believe a player has to be with a team for a full season in order to get a pick when offered arb. So you can't trade for half a season of a player, offer him arb and get a pick.

The changes in the latest cba about pick compensation should balance out the demands from the few sellers. I believe a player has to be with a team for the full season in order to get a pick when offered arb. So you can't trade for half a season of a player, offer him arb and get a pick.

Correct. A team has to have a player the entire season in order to get compensation for a declined Qualifying Offer and the player leaving.

3N16MA

Banned

Angel Hernandez is a douche and knows it. He holds grudges against players, makes terrible calls, and loves when his name is mentioned. He should be fired for being such a moron but the union will always have his back.

Riggs

Banned
How did the umps and Bo Porter get away with that pitcher change .... what the fuck lol. Just saw on MLB tv from last night. It's god damn amateur hour lately with these umps.

delmon.gif

RBH

i

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9259370/miami-marlins-fan-woes/

About half a block from Marlins Park, a hunchbacked stadium in Miami's Little Havana neighborhood, a scalper named Shorty spoke in a stage whisper. "Need a single?" he asked.

I did.

"Give me 10 bucks," Shorty said, cupping a crumpled ticket in his hand.

Under normal circumstances, a scalper has the advantage in these encounters. Shorty would have massaged the market for that night's Mets-Marlins game before I even showed up. But I knew all about the Marlins. I knew they had the worst record in baseball. I knew Marlins Park had become an ocean of empty blue seats. I knew Giancarlo (né Mike) Stanton, the only superstar left after the Marlins' clearance sales, had strained his right hamstring the night before and was out for weeks. Stanton was being replaced in the lineup by a guy named Marcell Ozuna, who jumped straight from Double-A. Ten bucks?

I must have looked skeptical, because Shorty played up the illicitness of our transaction. He pulled me into a parking garage. "There's a cop over there," he said.

Let the cop come, I thought. If baseball tickets were narcotics, this thing in his hand would count as "trace amounts." It had next to no value.

"I got four bucks," I said.

Shorty took the money and vanished.

That was how I got into Marlins Park on April 30, for the first of two games. Four measly bucks put me in a seat on the lower level, a ways down the third-base line, without a seatmate on any side. It was a perfectly lonely place to think about what happens when Major League Baseball is played in front of nobody, about whether we should go to a stadium in such circumstances, and about the trickle-down effects such a decision has, in turn, on people ranging from the Marlins players to Shorty the scalper.

I was sipping a Diet Pepsi and eating a hot dog when I realized I'd forgotten to look at the actual price on my ticket to see what kind of bargain I'd gotten. I looked. It was … one dollar.

I had overpaid.

:lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
I used to go to at least half a dozen games a year (mostly when the Mets were in town, but sometimes just to a random game when they ran ticket specials) when they played in Sun-Life, but for a variety of reasons, I have not once been to Marlins Park, and have no plans to go anytime in the foreseeable future.

Jarate

Banned
Hey guys, ive been wanting to read a good book on thenhistory of baseball becuase i find the subject awesome. I would like something more like a textbook as opposed to some stories about a specific story or year. Anyone got any suggestions?

see5harp

I don't know about an entire book on baseball but you should try and find a copy of DeLillo's Underworld and read the Intro/prelude. That's probably the best description of a baseball game/or any important moment in history that I've ever read. I forget that you can actually buy it separately as Pafko at the Wall.

here's an little sample: http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0925/1255241.html

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hey guys, ive been wanting to read a good book on thenhistory of baseball becuase i find the subject awesome. I would like something more like a textbook as opposed to some stories about a specific story or year. Anyone got any suggestions?
I have this and it's great, but it only runs through 2000. I wish they'd update it.

Jarate

Banned
Also, does anybody in this thread work for the baseball teams they like

Im a security guard for the phillies which allows me to watch all the home games starting at around the 4th inning.

Riggs

Banned

Im a security guard for the phillies which allows me to watch all the home games starting at around the 4th inning.

Nice dude, wish I worked for the Red Sox lol. I would get fired for watching the games instead of doing my job probably.

Jarate

Banned
Nice dude, wish I worked for the Red Sox lol. I would get fired for watching the games instead of doing my job probably.

Secuirty is fairly nice, as you get to watch most of the game during that time

Although being a security guard for philly is a wee bit intimidating at times. Its a lot better the my previous job of cooking french fries down there

hemtae

One of the braves people posted something about working for the Nationals I think

Riggs

Banned
Secuirty is fairly nice, as you get to watch most of the game during that time

Although being a security guard for philly is a wee bit intimidating at times. Its a lot better the my previous job of cooking french fries down there

Hell I bet, Philly is crazy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom