• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Going by WAR, the 2013 Giants have the best offense in MLB and the 19th best pitching.

Sounds crazy, but then I noticed that by WAR the 2012 Giants had the 5th best offense and the 18th best pitching (probably because Lincecum was unbelievably bad).

2010 had the 5th best offense and 6th best pitching.

So the "no offense, great pitching" narrative may have been false from the beginning. It is just becoming obvious now, because the pitching is downright terrible, and it isn't limited to one guy they could avoid starting in the playoffs.
If you're intent is to purely measure their hitting prowess, you shouldn't use WAR as it includes their superlative defensive numbers. They're 5th best in team wRC+ though, so they have still been pretty good with the stick.

And I'm assuming you're using fWAR, which isn't friendly to pitchers like Matt Cain. B-Ref WAR or SIERA would be better things to look at.

Keylow415

Going by WAR, the 2013 Giants have the best offense in MLB and the 19th best pitching.

Sounds crazy, but then I noticed that by WAR the 2012 Giants had the 5th best offense and the 18th best pitching (probably because Lincecum was unbelievably bad).

2010 had the 5th best offense and 6th best pitching.

So the "no offense, great pitching" narrative may have been false from the beginning. It is just becoming obvious now, because the pitching is downright terrible, and it isn't limited to one guy they could avoid starting in the playoffs.

we were a really good offense of team on the road last year and at home our pithing is very good for the most part so that why the War number look what they look like last year. this year our offense has been really good but your pitching has had so many blow up inning its crazy.

ParedesBlowsit.gif
It's still no

astros.gif

Come ON, how about James Shields gets a little run support?

Oops, didn't realize I was repeating you DP but yeah, good grief. He's rightfully pissed off, too.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So, what are the odds that Bryce Harper finishes with worse numbers and a lower WAR than Justin Upton, and the Braves win the NL East, but Harper still gets more MVP votes? Like 80%?

zulux21

Chris Sale vs the Angels this year (aka Sale's last two starts)
16.2 innings pitched
19 KO
3BB
4 hits
no earned runs.

Angels have to be happy that they won't see Sale again this year unless both the white sox and angels make it into the playoffs

zulux21

Shit. Down to Hos. Aka game over.

That's about as frustrating a loss as you can get. And piss off, Rex.

i feel bad for shields, the way he has pitched so far this year he deserves to have a few more wins.

I can't imagine how that messes with a guys head, where you are pitching well but getting no run support in most of your starts.

anyways, the white sox are starting to look better as a team, a 4 game winning streak aside they look more comfortable at the plate and are making less stupid errors. if those come around and their pitching stays where it is at they could easily be back in the running for first place next month. At least they aren't alone in last in the division anymore, technically they are in front of the twins in win percent now (plus 4 games back isn't that horrible at this point in the season.)

Opiate

Lol? The fuck kind of baserunning was that Cleveland?

Is this a real question? Until some word comes out of Miggy bein on some PED's ... I'll take him over any RHB today.

Pujols has a notably higher career OPS, higher career OWAR, higher career wOBA, and a much better BB/K ratio than Cabrera. I do not see how he doesn't win this discussion if we're only talking about players in the last 15-20 years. The worst you can say is that he's falling off young, but we'll see where Cabrera is in two years to compare.

i feel bad for shields, the way he has pitched so far this year he deserves to have a few more wins.

I can't imagine how that messes with a guys head, where you are pitching well but getting no run support in most of your starts.

Yeah he's 2-4 with a 2.3ish ERA. How the hell. Also, all four of those losses were by a single run. AND... worst of all (I guess), he pitched eight innings in all four losses.

He deserves to get to punch every single teammate in the stomach.

zulux21

Yeah he's 2-4 with a 2.3ish ERA. How the hell. Also, all four of those losses were by a single run. AND... worst of all (I guess), he pitched eight innings in all four losses.

I do find it a little funny that one of his wins was the only non quality start he has made this season.

I know how frustrating it is as a fan watching that though. I can't remember if it was floyd or danks for the white sox a few years back but I recall them going through a streak of like 13 games where they were lights out and didn't get a single win because the white sox averaged like 1 run a game when he was pitching. and the worst part was it was a year that the white sox offense was pretty good :/

Link

The Autumn Wind

We Mets fans call it Harvey Syndrome. (Formerly known as Santana Syndrome.)

Pujols has a notably higher career OPS, higher career OWAR, higher career wOBA, and a much better BB/K ratio than Cabrera. I do not see how he doesn't win this discussion if we're only talking about players in the last 15-20 years. The worst you can say is that he's falling off young, but we'll see where Cabrera is in two years to compare.

Pujols is definitely one of the greatest RH hitters.

Macattk15

Spent most of his time in the sissy NL. I don't want him.

That and he's 40 now.

CHICAGO -- Although Ike Davis snapped an 0-for-24 skid Friday in a 3-2 win against the Chicago Cubs, the internal discussion about potentially demoting the first baseman has only intensified, ESPNNewYork.com has learned.

In fact, Davis may not have much more than the weekend series at Wrigley Field to show enough to stave off a demotion, according to a team source. The front office is said to be more eager to demote Davis than Terry Collins, who fought for Davis to remain at the major league level last year.

One telltale sign a change may be coming: Andrew Brown played first base Friday with Triple-A Las Vegas after previously playing only outfield for the 51s this season. Brown actually has played more minor league games in his career at first base than any other position. He went 3-for-15 during a stint with the Mets that ended Monday when Rick Ankiel was signed.

Brown, who is on the 40-man roster, would need to remain in the minors for 10 days, so he could not be swapped for Davis until the middle of next week. Zach Lutz also is on the 40-man roster and would be a candidate, but the organization likely would view Brown as the best choice. Josh Satin, although he is hitting .303 with the Pacific Coast League club, is not on the roster. That puts him at a decided disadvantage, even though he has been Las Vegas' primary first baseman.

Davis is hitting .160 with four homers and nine RBIs in 131 at-bats this season.
herman_cain_smile.gif

Jon Heyman:

-- The Yankees have acquired Reid Brignac from the Rockies in exchange for cash considerations. The Rockies will receive $75,000 from the Yankees. Brignac was hitting .250/.294/.375 with 1 home run and 6 RBIs in 29 games for the Rockies before being DFA'd on Thursday to make room for D.J. LaMahieu on the 25-man roster.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

He's falling off "young" :wink :wink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom