• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozeman

The Cards FO has been pulling the right strings the past few years so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt regarding Sanchez's health status and future potential. Exposing him to waivers when they could've dropped the likes of Marte or Curtis from the 40 man doesn't make a lot of sense.

Marte is still on the 40 man?!?!?!? Seriously, if they had any plans to use him they would have brought him up already this season. The man has nothing and there's too many good, young pitchers ahead of him to risk bringing him up. If he pitches for the Cards this season then we are in deep shit and something went HORRIBLY wrong. Marte is the first guy I dropped in my MLB The Show 13 franchise. Just released him. Useless.

Marte is still on the 40 man?!?!?!? Seriously, if they had any plans to use him they would have brought him up already this season. The man has nothing and there's too many good, young pitchers ahead of him to risk bringing him up. If he pitches for the Cards this season then we are in deep shit and something went HORRIBLY wrong. Marte is the first guy I dropped in my MLB The Show 13 franchise. Just released him. Useless.
Yep. So either they're severely overrating Marte's worth or they are really down on Sanchez's future ability. Eduardo hasn't really been the same since his shoulder injury, after all.

Sharp

Say what? Explain this....
Pitcher wins and losses. Cute concept but it leads to mismanagement of arms and pitchers valuing the wrong things (not to mention bad contracts with incentives tied to total wins, which helps lead to pitchers refusing to admit injury). Or do you really think Soriano getting the win if the Nats score and hold on this inning is indicative of anything?

McNei1y

I think the more amazing stat is that Javi Lopez has struck someone out 7 straight times.

CWXsSDU.gif

Sounds like Yunesky Maya is coming out in the 10th.

bozeman

Yep. So either they're severely overrating Marte's worth or they are really down on Sanchez's future ability. Eduardo hasn't really been the same since his shoulder injury, after all.

I'd give a little more time for a 24-year-old with an electric fastball and slider over a 33-year-old guy who looks like a dumpy Lee Smith who they didn't even trust when the bullpen was in full implosion mode a few weeks ago.

I'd waive Cleto over Sanchez, too.

bjb

Banned
Pitcher wins and losses. Cute concept but it leads to mismanagement of arms and pitchers valuing the wrong things (not to mention bad contracts with incentives tied to total wins, which helps lead to pitchers refusing to admit injury). Or do you really think Soriano getting the win if the Nats score and hold on this inning is indicative of anything?

So what's your solution - eliminate wins and losses entirely, or just restructure the way in which they're tallied?

Sharp

GL with that.never gonna happen
Yeah... on the plus side I think robot umps are gaining traction.
So what's your solution - eliminate wins and losses entirely, or just restructure the way in which they're tallied?
Replace them with bWAR (for contract purposes, anyway--or if you're really concerned with a really good defense inflating your contracts, use some combination of SIERA and IP). Makes way more sense since it's tied directly to individual accumulated value rather than factors out of your control like run support. In terms of how games "feel" WPA captures that pretty much perfectly, way better than either WAR or pitcher wins do.

McNei1y

Throwing Maya out there is pretty much waving the white flag. I still can't believe he's on the 40 man after all of these years.

Sharp

Most predictable outcome ever? I say yes.
Or maybe babies like Strasburg should pull their head out of their ass and quit worrying about personal stats. I like my solution.
In case you hadn't noticed, my primary concern with stats like this is that they're actually part of contracts and affect your future payday. If you think Kimbrel doesn't care about his save total, you are soooo wrong.

Sharp

Guys, relax. It was a homer off Yunesky Maya. In the professional sports world that is an achievement roughly on the level of catching a popout.

I'm laughing.

Also, grats to Trout, although I still argue that the cycle is a kind of silly statistic, but it's fun none-the-less. I want to see a natural cycle in person some day.

Descalso was a triple short of the cycle, but I'm sure he'll settle for what he did manage to pull out of his ass last night.

Runus

Just caught up with what happened in the Braves game last night after I went to bed. Gattis is so amazing. I am getting one of his shirts next week, lol. Great come back by the Braves after falling behind late. This team is rolling again right now. Time to bring out the brooms this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom