• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

That's a good choice as well. I do think we'd need to establish some rules for consistency, though; for example, Dickey has had two great years framed by virtual nothingness on one side and a bad start on the other. Part of the problem with defining "aces" is that by the time you're convinced that they are an ace and can reproduce those ace-like results reliably, they are already past their prime and beginning decline. Very, very few pitchers are an "Ace" for, say, 5+ years, so that you can soundly establish their role as an "Ace" and have them keep performing at that level for several years after that.

I'd say pretty much anyone who performs at that level would be at or near hall of fame quality, basically.
Well, if you want consistency, your best bet is probably just to take WAR over 5 years (bWAR, not fWAR, since RA/37PA stabilizes after about 3 years), weight for recency, and grab everyone more than, say, 2 standard deviations above the mean. That's a very selective definition though and I think it would miss a lot of people who I would be happy to call "aces."

Sanjuro

Theoretically every team has an ace. I think it's smarter to identify that type of pitcher, but in most conversation it's your number one regardless.

Opiate

Did BJ fans just boo their ace off the mound after his second start? Hoooo boy.

I'm honestly always surprised by these sorts of behaviors. Not only are they mean (obviously), but I would presume they are also counterproductive.

If I were a good player who knew that -- despite being good -- I am perfectly capable of having a bad stretch of games (let alone just two games), I wouldn't want to go to a place where my own fans start booing me for even a brief lapse in greatness.

I'm aware that ultimately money is by a wide margin the primary deciding factor, but if the money were close, I'd go to the place where the fans were less likely to boo me for 2 bad starts.

Sharp

Man, 'Ace' pitchers in this game looking damn shaky, but surprisingly it hasn't led to many runs. Dat NL Pitchers Spot Salvation.
Three runs each against Stras and Cueto after four qualifies as "many," I think. I really want to see more strikeouts though, this pitch to contact shit makes me nervous.

zulux21

Well that did not last long.

i don't have video for the white sox game (I don't usually get mlb.tv until june or so)
is this gameday accurate?
2vL1T
aka was the ball completely killed?

rinse82

I'm honestly always surprised by these sorts of behaviors. Not only are they mean (obviously), but I would presume they are also counterproductive.

If I were a good player who knew that, despite being good, I am perfectly capable of having a bad stretch of games (let alone just two games), I wouldn't want to go to a place where my own fans start booing me for even a brief lapse in greatness.

I'm aware that ultimately money is by a wide margin the primary deciding factor, but if the money was close, I'd go to the place where the fans were less likely to boo me for 2 bad starts.

Toronto boos everyone.

IF someone has a recording of Ace (Blue Jays mascot) slamming into the outfield wall, we could really use a gif of that. They just showed it in slow-mo on Sportsnet and it could come in handy.

Three runs each against Stras and Cueto after four qualifies as "many," I think. I really want to see more strikeouts though, this pitch to contact shit makes me nervous.

The good pitchers can take a terrible start and turn it into a quality start.

Win or lose, I am very pleased with how the Reds have played this series. Teams may beat the reds with home runs, but I have yet to see a huge collapse inning. However, we are due for one right about in the 7th inning. Book it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom