• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set off a large nuclear device on the moon to knock it off its orbit and affect the tides of earth with the goal of putting the state of Florida under water. Relocate the teams as desired.

Problem solved.

JCizzle

The blue Jays are why I always worry about al teams assembling nl all stars and expecting to be immediate favorites. Dickey is giving up rockets everywhere. To be fair though, reyes has been outstanding

clemenx

Banned
I love Dickey and all but putting all that trust in a Knuckleball pitcher is just not a sound idea.

I really hope he can bounce back though.

JCizzle

I love Dickey and all but putting all that trust in a Knuckleball pitcher is just not a sound idea.

I really hope he can bounce back though.

I love how fast he works. If Beckett gave up five runs in an inning he'd take 45 sec per pitch by now. Dickey just keeps on doing his thing.

The blue Jays are why I always worry about al teams assembling nl all stars and expecting to be immediate favorites. Dickey is giving up rockets everywhere. To be fair though, reyes has been outstanding

I'm not worried - it's going to take all these guys several starts to get acclimatized and perform to their regular standards.

I am worried however that so many Jays fans seem to have expected us to go 162-0.

Opiate

THIS. The only thing that really baffles me about your perspective on baseball, Opiate, is your apparent mild surprise at encountering so much inherent "tribalism" on sports-GAF, as if it weren't a deeply fundamental part of nearly all sports and sports fans, period. It sounds like you have considerably less interest in the "romance" of baseball than even most of the people who invented, advanced and popularized rational, stat-based analysis of the sport (Bill James, etc.). I'm not saying you're unique, but your near-total enjoyment of baseball as a random number generator is an extreme outlier in sports fandom. It's totally fine to enjoy it however you enjoy it--and you sure as hell know what you're talking about in this regard--but I'm just surprised you haven't felt this disconnect in literally every sports conversation you've ever had, unless you just don't talk about sports in real life much.

MLB-GAF is about as saber-friendly, sober, and light-hearted as it's going to get for a semi-random collection of baseball fans on a message board.

Oh I'm not surprised at meeting people with different perspectives, I'm surprised that my different perspective seems to incur ire so frequently. I actually love speaking to people with differentviewpoints (like Sharp), but only under the condition that we don't get angry with each other and call each other idiots because we don't agree.

I'm also known for being data driven and dry over on the gaming side, for example, where I play mostly PC-centric strategy games and hate Mario, Halo and Uncharted. This makes me in many ways an outsider there, too, and yet I very rarely seem to incur anger the way I can here (And other sports threads).

Opiate

In many ways, it does. We do our fair share of statistical analysis, but we also do our fair share of individual team discussion and, yes, even sometimes root for other teams to fail. There's plenty of room for both.

I think this is a really good description of what I was trying to get at, yeah. Å lot of people do come to this thread just for this, rather than for detailed analysis of baseball. Like I said above, we do some of each.

The hostility in this thread is really mild. I think most of the people posting here recognize that baseball is just a game and not worth getting too worked up over. The fact that there are so many games in the season probably helps people keep perspective a bit better than it does in some sports.

It sounds like we mostly agree on these topics. Or close enough for horse shoes.

Then why ask about backup teams? Clearly, rooting for a team at all (or caring about who is rooting for what teams) implies some level of vested interest in the success of one team (and/or the communities built around fandom), even if the reason is only to keep the games interesting and reduce the overwhelming amount of information you would otherwise have to track. It's okay to admit you care a little more about the Cardinals than you do other teams, just as I would say most fans who come here intending to post exclusively about their teams still get caught up in stories like Trout's run last year, or the Chapman bullpen / starter discussion.

I do care more about the Cardinals. That isn't something I've hidden; as I said, I make narratives out of these random number generators as I see fit, and I try to make them primarily for the Cardinals.

But if the Cardinals should fall, then I'm quite happy to move along and continue operational analysis of the number generator with other teams.

Talon

Oh I'm not surprised at meeting people with different perspectives, I'm surprised that my different perspective seems to incur ire so frequently. I actually love speaking to people with differentviewpoints (like Sharp), but only under the condition that we don't get angry with each other and call each other idiots because we don't agree.

I'm also known for being data driven and dry over on the gaming side, for example, where I play mostly PC-centric strategy games and hate Mario, Halo and Uncharted. This makes me in many ways an outsider there, too, and yet I very rarely seem to incur anger the way I can here (And other sports threads).
MLB-GAF is literally the friendliest community thread on this entire forum.

You made a shitty, almost entirely unrelated joke calling sports fandom archaic in a sports thread. If you're that upset about being called an "idiot" for said crappy joke, I mean, damn, do you never drive during rush hour?

Opiate

MLB-GAF is literally the friendliest community thread on this entire forum.

You made a shitty, almost entirely unrelated joke calling sports fandom archaic in a sports thread. If you're that upset about being called an "idiot," I mean, damn, do you never drive during rush hour?

If I could ban jerks in rush hour, I most certainly would, yes.

Here's my advice to you: don't call other posters idiots, and then double down on it when they offer you a chance to recant. It won't end well for you, because we don't approve of obnoxious posters on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom