• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

If I could ban jerks in rush hour, I most certainly would, yes.

Here's my advice to you: don't call other posters idiots, and then double down on it when they offer you a chance to recant. It won't end well for you, because we don't approve of obnoxious posters on this forum.
Gaming side would not exist without the...personalities.

Jubs

If I could ban jerks in rush hour, I most certainly would, yes.

Here's my advice to you: don't call other posters idiots, and then double down on it when they offer you a chance to recant. It won't end well for you, because we don't approve of obnoxious posters on this forum.

If a joke falls flat and is met with ire or derision, who's fault is that? The audience who didn't understand, the one who made the terrible joke, or both?

You call it a joke, but to me it came across as snark, which is most likely how Windu interpreted it also. Was he out of line to react the way he did? Probably. He should have just ignored it, but his reaction shouldn't come as a surprise, considering how sardonic your "joke" came across.

Opiate

Gaming side would not exist without the...personalities.

Actually, that's what I was thinking of.

Using my example again, I don't like Mario games and I've been pretty open about that. I think Uncharted is an objectively bad game, and I've said that before too. I think Halo is boring.

Moreover, those aren't jokes -- those are my honest opinions on the subject. If people questioned me, I would double down on those positions. And yet, I have not once (to my knowledge, I can't obviously read every post) been called an idiot or a retard or any other pejorative for being so intensely critical of those hallmark games over on gaming side.

But certainly, the gaming side is not jerk free, and we do ban quite a few posters over on gaming side every day and every week (6 gaming side bans in the last 24 hours, according to our logs). Just not as commonly for stuff like this.

suEcide

Man, this was my worst fear when it was announced that Dickey was going to the Jays. I was very excited with his aquisition, but shit man, I knew the knuckleball was never a sure thing, and if it ain't dancing, he's getting tee'd off on. Such as today.

Mets fans assure me as the season wears on, Dickey improves greatly...but his first two starts are really worrying me.

Sharp

would you mind posting the list here, kinda curious
This is for 2012:

Stras, Medlen, Scherzer, Lee, Price, CC, Dickey, Shields, Estrada, King Felix, Hamels, Kershaw, Sale, Verlander, Greinke

With the possible exception of Medlen (SSS) I think these are all 1As.

Opiate

If a joke falls flat and is met with ire or derision, who's fault is that? The audience who didn't understand, the one who made the terrible joke, or both?

I have definitely had jokes fall flat before. I do not usually call people idiots because I didn't find their joke funny; I just don't laugh.

You call it a joke, but to me it came across as snark, which is most likely how Windu interpreted it also. Was he out of line to react the way he did? Probably. He should have just ignored it, but his reaction shouldn't come as a surprise, considering how sardonic your "joke" came across.

Okay, here's some advice for the future: I am not honestly comparing one-team fans to oppressive cultural patriarchy spanning millenea. That is not a comparison that a reasonable person makes, and one can reasonably assume that such a comparison is made in jest.

If that point wasn't obvious before, I certainly made it clear with the followup. Note again; Windu did not just call me an idiot, he doubled down on it when offered a chance to step back.

Man, this was my worst fear when it was announced that Dickey was going to the Jays. I was very excited with his aquisition, but shit man, I knew the knuckleball was never a sure thing, and if it ain't dancing, he's getting tee'd off on. Such as today.

Mets fans assure me as the season wears on, Dickey improves greatly...but his first two starts are really worrying me.

On Drunk Jays Fans, I saw a comment that said his ERA for April last year was nearly twice what it was the rest of the season. Hopefully that happens this year, and soon...and hopefully his being in a tougher league doesn't negate his possibility of improving.

Opiate

Not so weird when you realize that pitching talent isn't evenly distributed and the fact there are definitely fewer than 30 aces in the majors. Maybe 10 aces or so at any given time?

This actually would be an interesting discussion in itself. We'd have to set some objective criteria for an "Ace," but my gut feeling is that 10 is about where I'd set the bar, too. Maybe 15. I'm not sure which criteria to rely on: perhaps xFIP? Or isolating home run/strike outs?

Sharp

This actually would be an interesting discussion in itself. We'd have to set some objective criteria for an "Ace," but my gut feeling is that 10 is about where I'd set the bar, too. Maybe 15. I'm not sure which criteria to rely on: perhaps xFIP? Or isolating home run/strike outs?
I used SIERA above.

suEcide

On Drunk Jays Fans, I saw a comment that said his ERA for April last year was nearly twice what it was the rest of the season. Hopefully that happens this year, and soon...and hopefully his being in a tougher league doesn't negate his possibility of improving.

If that's the case, his ERA for the rest of the season should be around 8.00 then =/

Opiate

I used SIERA above.

That's a good choice as well. I do think we'd need to establish some rules for consistency, though; for example, Dickey has had two great years framed by virtual nothingness on one side and a bad start on the other. Part of the problem with defining "aces" is that by the time you're convinced that they are an ace and can reproduce those ace-like results reliably, they are already past their prime and beginning decline. Very, very few pitchers are an "Ace" for, say, 5+ years, so that you can soundly establish their role as an "Ace" and have them keep performing at that level for several years after that.

I'd say pretty much anyone who performs at that level would be at or near hall of fame quality, basically.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd be interested to see a comparative xFIP/SIERA ranking of who the media calls aces and who are actually aces. Like Fatbathia is called an "ace" pretty regularly. What is his (and others like him) SIERA-to-ERA GAP vis-a-vis other "aces" or "pitchers who know how to win" or something. I'm too lazy to look. But I see Fatbathia throwing 89mph and I am not in a good mood.

rinse82

No one gives a shit about our depleted farm, Shi.

Plus he isn't meant for tv, dude is bumbling every other word, crazy nervous.

JCizzle

I'd be interested to see a comparative xFIP/SIERA ranking of who the media calls aces and who are actually aces. Like Fatbathia is called an "ace" pretty regularly. What is his (and others like him) SIERA-to-ERA GAP vis-a-vis other "aces" or "pitchers who know how to win" or something. I'm too lazy to look. But I see Fatbathia throwing 89mph and I am not in a good mood.

He stopped eating a box of lucky charms a day, leave his diet alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom