• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

I think I've settled on my two ballparks I'm travelling to see this year:

Baltimore in June (Yankees series)
Kauffman in August (Twins series)

Orioles and Royals fans, whats good to see in each respective city?

Make sure you go visit the areas in Baltimore where they filmed "The Wire".

Sanjuro

The dome is supposed to help the knuckleballer. No wind, especially when closed.
Dickey trying to figure out his own shit is the only hope because the pitching coaches probably have no idea how to help.

Usually. Depends on the knuckleballer. Wakefield had some of his best games in the dome, but he liked playing outdoors more. His knuckleball was very different than Dickey's.

Sanjuro

Baltimore has spinning blue lights instead of street lights in some areas. You know, to scare the criminals away.

Basically you have a couple blocks around the ballpark before you get stabbed. Get a hotel right next to the park, take a ferry or cab to the historical downtown area for some nice brews.

I think I've settled on my two ballparks I'm travelling to see this year:

Baltimore in June (Yankees series)
Kauffman in August (Twins series)

Orioles and Royals fans, whats good to see in each respective city?

Well, for one thing, do not fail to go to the Negro Leagues museum before you leave KC:

baseball-attractions-negro-league-baseball-museum-jpg_084647.jpg

Also, prepare to eat some BBQ. I recommend going to one or more of the following:

-Arthur Bryant's at 16th and Brooklyn (the granddaddy of all KC BBQ),
-Gates (the other granddaddy of KC BBQ),
-OK Joe's (the one that everybody likes the best these days. Definitely new school, they've only been around since the 90's; famously located in a gas station)
-Jack Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ (fancier sit-down BBQ)

...and there are TONS of other great places, too, but those four are generally considered to be the top-tier.

If you care about soccer even a little bit, you should catch a Sporting KC game while you're in town, if possible. It's an unbelievable atmosphere that I really think few other sports teams can match.

There's more to recommend, too, depending on what part of town you wind up staying in.

Baltimore has spinning blue lights instead of street lights in some areas. You know, to scare the criminals away.

Basically you have a couple blocks around the ballpark before you get stabbed. Get a hotel right next to the park, take a ferry or cab to the historical downtown area for some nice brews.

The Wire was about the whole goddamn city.

aFIGurANT

I'm sure you'd be fine in a rental car driving over 35 mph throughout the city. If I ever made it out there I would definitely try to take in a little bit of the actual streets and see how dramatized or factual the west side was compared to the east side. Just my 2 cents as an avid Wire fan.

Sanjuro

What does the Wire have to do with Baltimore's image? I'm just assuming it's a show about people getting shanked/shot left and right.

Talon

What does the Wire have to do with Baltimore's image? I'm just assuming it's a show about people getting shanked/shot left and right.
It's a show about the failure of institutions, and the inability of individuals to spur collective action even when people in power know the fixable issues.

There's no agency to spur change, especially when they are systemic issue that don't personally involve us.

Sanjuro

It's a show about the failure of institutions, and the inability of individuals to spur collective action even when people in power know the fixable issues.

There's no agency to spur change, especially when they are systemic issue that don't personally involve us.

Maybe I'll finally check it out. Have been looking for a new show to watch.

Talon

The Cubs intentionally walked Bettancourt. HAHAHAHA
It became clear to me that Dale Sveum is the dumbest manager in that division in about three games.

Then I watched the Braves - Cubs series over the weekend, and I'm convinced he's the worst manager in the NL.

Talon

Haha I know it was. But I meant the "finer" parts of Baltimore which were shown.
? The show displayed every part of the city, from mostly the west side to the north side. There are only a handful of instances I can remember them showing the Inner Harbor in any detail - Prop Joe's parlay between String and Omar, String's apartment, maybe a dinner or two.

Macattk15

? The show displayed every part of the city, from mostly the west side to the north side. There are only a handful of instances I can remember them showing the Inner Harbor in any detail - Prop Joe's parlay between String and Omar, String's apartment, maybe a dinner or two.

When I said finer. I meant where the majority of the show took place. Omar's hood. D'Angelo's turf etc.

I'm not familiar enough with B'more to know where those areas are ... they just LOOKED terrible.

I've only been to the Inner Harbor myself ... so I enjoyed my time in Baltimore.

BFIB

Garcia looking sharp again.

If he can somehow win on the road, he's going to have a fantastic year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom