• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

eznark

Banned
If you had to choose between Kershaw and Harvey going forward who would you pick? Forget about contracts.

Effectively Wild podcast did a nice segment on this a week ago. Pretty interesting. I think they ended up agreeing on Harvey solely on contract and age.

of course I don't hate the idea of just getting rid of two teams to fix the interleague junk... but that doesn't seem fair to the 30 marlins fans nor the 100 astros fans :p... plus I doubt the players union would go for the idea of killing off 50+ major league jobs by killing off two teams.

Why get rid of two teams? Wouldn't it make more sense to add two? That way we'd have two leagues, each with sixteen teams, which would break down into eight divisions (4 AL, 4 NL), each consisting of 4 teams. If they put teams into...I don't know, Montreal and Portland, and returned the Astros to the NL, the divisions could be something like:

AL EAST: Red Sox, Yankees, new Montreal team, Blue Jays
AL CENTRAL: Twins, White Sox, Tigers, Indians
AL WEST: Royals, Rangers, Rays (who, obviously, aren't western-based, but whatever), Orioles (also weird, but again, whatever)
AL PACIFIC: Mariners, new Portland team, Athletics, Angels

NL EAST: Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Pirates,
NL CENTRAL: Brewers, Cubs, Cardinals, Braves
NL WEST: Rockies (or Diamondbacks), Astros, Marlins, Reds
NL PACIFIC: Padres, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks (or Rockies)

I've only done very basic math for scheduling, but then the schedule could still be moderately unbalanced (say...16 games against each team within your division, and 8 games against all the rest of the teams in your league), and they'd still have room for 18 interleague games per year. It would reduce the number of play-off teams (and, thus, games and revenue, which is why this will probably never happen), but at the same time each team would be competing with fewer teams for a play-off spot.

BFIB

I'd vote for doing away with divisions all together, and just having NL and AL. Top 5 records make the playoffs, obviously best record has home field for their respective league. Bottom 2 have their one game playoff to determine who goes on, and then home field for the WS is decided by overall record.

Obviously MLB loves having the divisions because its something for teams to tout, even if they don't win it all. But to me, with the unbalanced schedule, and adding in interleague all year round, whats the point in having divisions? Especially for one like the NL Central, where the Pirates are considered a Central team.

turnbuckle

I'd take Kershaw and wouldn't have much of a second thought. He's barely a year older than Harvey and his track record alone is a big plus. That and he's having as good a season as he's ever had and (going by baseball-reference) he's been more valuable than Harvey.

If we're talking about $ and contracts, then of course I'd pick Harvey.

And, we already have too many teams in this game. Would much prefer dropping down to 28 and cutting some of the fat.

Would prefer a balanced schedule so I didn't have to see the Tigers play like 70+ games a year with either the Royals, Indians, Twins, or White Sox. Ugh.

eznark

Banned
No divisions, no playoffs. Balanced schedule, no inter-league. Winner of the AL plays the winner of the NL.

That's fucking pure. That's fucking beautiful.

zulux21

Why get rid of two teams? Wouldn't it make more sense to add two? That way we'd have two leagues, each with sixteen teams, which would break down into eight divisions (4 AL, 4 NL), each consisting of 4 teams. If they put teams into...I don't know, Montreal and Portland, and returned the Astros to the NL, the divisions could be something like:

AL WEST: Royals, Rangers, Rays (who, obviously, aren't western-based, but whatever), Orioles (also weird, but again, whatever)

I've only done very basic math for scheduling, but then the schedule could still be moderately unbalanced (say...16 games against each team within your division, and 8 games against all the rest of the teams in your league), and they'd still have room for 18 interleague games per year. It would reduce the number of play-off teams (and, thus, games and revenue, which is why this will probably never happen), but at the same time each team would be competing with fewer teams for a play-off spot.
my get rid of two teams comment was in response to Mr. Enigma saying 30 teams was enough. I stated earlier I was in favor of adding two teams to get rid of interleague play all season long (even said I wasn't totally against 6 new teams)

I am curious though how adding another division means less play off teams as it would still amount to 8 real play off teams (I personally don't consider the loser of the wild card play in game a play off team, only the team that actually gets to play in the play offs is a play off team)

Isn't gambling the main reason why there are no professional sports teams in Vegas?

most likely :p

A baseball team in Vegas would be huge. There are a ton of people that live here plus so many people visit everyday. I think it hasn't happened though because the sports books are not allowed to take bets on local teams games.

And, we already have too many teams in this game. Would much prefer dropping down to 28 and cutting some of the fat.

How do you figure? Pre-expansion, there were 16 teams that drew from a population pool primarily comprised of white Americans (so around 30 million people, according to Census data). Baseball is way more global now (not to mention fully integrated), so there's no reason to think that there's not enough talent to support twice as many teams.

my get rid of two teams comment was in response to Mr. Enigma saying 30 teams was enough. I stated earlier I was in favor of adding two teams to get rid of interleague play all season long (even said I wasn't totally against 6 new teams)

I am curious though how adding another division means less play off teams as it would still amount to 8 real play off teams (I personally don't consider the loser of the wild card play in game a play off team, only the team that actually gets to play in the play offs is a play off team)

Semantics, then -- and speaking as a Blue Jay fan, even losing the play-in game would be more postseason baseball than I've seen in 20 years. (And sorry, I saw the add 6 teams comment, but I totally missed that it was you saying it.)

zulux21

Baseball should not add more playoff teams. NBA is a damn joke with all those teams

oh i am in absolute agreement with this.... even if baseball went crazy and decided to double the number of teams in baseball I don't want to see the playoffs increased to more than the 8 teams facing off. One of the main reasons I can't get into hockey is because the season seems meaningless with half the teams making the playoffs.

tough if we are stuck with a wild card play off like we have I am also in agreement that it needs to be a 3 game series not just a 1 game crap shoot that it currently is.

Semantics, then -- and speaking as a Blue Jay fan, even losing the play-in game would be more postseason baseball than I've seen in 20 years. (And sorry, I saw the add 6 teams comment, but I totally missed that it was you saying it.)
ah I suppose that it is just semantics, but the wild card play in game in it's current state is just a joke.
How do you figure? Pre-expansion, there were 16 teams that drew from a population pool primarily comprised of white Americans (so around 30 million people, according to Census data). Baseball is way more global now (not to mention fully integrated), so there's no reason to think that there's not enough talent to support twice as many teams.

baseball easily has the talent to support more teams at this point, beyond that as I said before I would still really love to see a team in Mexico to expand baseball to a little bit more of the world.

Heck I don't think I would be completely against the idea of making baseball a world wide thing, were it's broken into like 4 leagues (NA, EU, asia and uh... not sure about the last one lol) where the teams just play in their own leagues for the season and then playoff time we really have a world series where the top two teams from each league makes it to the play offs leading to an actual face off of the best in the world. Obviously there would be some problems with such a thing as the difference in talent between areas would lead to balance issues (as draft picks would likely be chosen and signed mostly in the area they are from).... and since you wouldn't limit what teams people can play with, it would also suck for the trade deadline when you were suddenly shipped off from a NA team to an asia team. so it would need a lot of thinking out, but i wouldn't hate the idea of baseball expanding globally. (I also understand this will likely be seen as crazy talk :p)

Baseball should add as many playoff teams as it takes to get the Mariners into the playoffs. Don't nobody want to see King Felix and Prince Oliver in a 7 game series.

RBH

Over the past couple months, it has been apparent the Braves will attempt to gain bullpen depth before the July 31 Trade Deadline. But with all indications that Alex Wood will join Atlanta’s starting rotation before the end of the month, it now appears the team’s specific priority is to add a left-handed reliever.

The Cubs’ James Russell, the Brewers’ Mike Gonzalez and the Astros’ Wesley Wright are among the left-handed relievers on general manager Frank Wren’s wish list. While Wright is considered a candidate, it appears the Braves are more interested in the possibility of dealing for either Russell or Gonzalez.

With Wood currently preparing to make one or two Minor League starts before returning to the Majors, Luis Avilan stands as the only left-handed reliever in Atlanta’s bullpen. Avilan has proven himself as a valuable setup man. But the 24-year-old southpaw has already made a professional-high 43 appearances and his 3.38 FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) is not nearly as comforting as his 1.40 ERA.

There is reason to believe Wood could replace Kris Medlen in the rotation and if this proves to be true, Medlen would likely be moved back to a relief role. Like Jordan Walden, Medlen would serve as a right-handed relief option, whose changeup has provided him success against left-handed hitters.

Still the Braves would like to add a left-handed presence to their bullpen. Russell, who is currently in his first arbitration-eligible season, has limited left-handed hitters to a .189 batting average and .218 on-base percentage. Right-handed hitters have hit .316 and compiled a .400 on-base percentage against him.

Gonzalez, who served formerly served as a closer in Atlanta, has proven to be more versatile. Right-handed hitters have hit .233 with a .361 on-base percentage against him. Left-handed hitters have batted .257 with a .325 on-base percentage against him. The 35-year-old veteran would be a free agent at the end of this season.

The Braves are also looking for a backup infielder to fill the void created when switch-hitter Ramiro Pena was forced to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery last month. Paul Janish is more than capable of providing solid defense in this role. But the club would like to find a better offensive option, preferably one that can hit from the left side of the plate.
http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2013/07/18/braves-searching-for-a-left-handed-reliever/

I suppose, though that would work even better to try to attract tourists as that would mean you could count on it always being comfortable in there and not having games cancelled due to rain.

I am sure there are other spots than las vegas that would work well as well, it's just the one I can think of that has the best revenue potential that isn't another California or New York team.

I would love it if they build a stadium for a new team. Since Vegas is turning into a family spot, baseball would be a good attraction plus more jobs. That city or Reno.

Derek Lowe just announced his retirement.

JnMz3.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Did this a long time ago, realigned mlb based on time zones and tried to keep the rivalries together. There would be a balanced schedule for the divisions with no interleague play and no wildcard. Division winners would play in CS then league winners would play in WS. I forget on what schedule I came up with, but it each division opponent played the same games, a little more between the division and a little less with the other division in order for it to work. And as I said, used time zones to do it. League 1 is all eastern time zone teams. Basically kept mostly NL/AL division split to keep the rivalries in place, although I believe I did another version which I can't find right now that had them split more based on location, basically southern most eastern time zone teams and northern. And then of course in league 2 divisions are split up with central time zone teams and mountain/pacific time zone teams. 16 in league 2, 14 in league 1.

League 1

Division A

Braves
Reds
Pirates
Marlins
Nationals
Phillies
Mets

Division B

Tigers
Indians
Blue Jays
Rays
Orioles
Yankees
Red Sox

League 2

Division A

Astros
Cardinals
Brewers
Cubs
Twins
Royals
Rangers
White Sox

Division B

Giants
Dodgers
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Mariners
A's
Angels

jakncoke

Banned

montreal team? rays n orioles in the west? marlins and reds as well? the only thing you did well was move pirates back into the east

22. Nick Castellanos, 3B/OF | Detroit Tigers (age 21)
Current level: Triple-A (Toledo)
Preseason ranking: 38

Castellanos is now a full-time right fielder, which hurts his potential value relative to what it might have been had he stayed at third base, but he's putting together a solid season as one of the International League's youngest everyday players, working the count more effectively while already setting a career high in home runs.

He might be more above-average regular than superstar after the position switch, which still makes him very valuable and a likely trade target for sellers this month.
Would deal Parnell for him in a second and not think twice.

montreal team? rays n orioles in the west? marlins and reds as well? the only thing you did well was move pirates back into the east

1) Considering that Loria has subsequently run a second team into the ground, I think it's safe to say the problem isn't with Montreal. It's a city with 3m+ people, and their hockey, soccer and football teams all draw. Give them a baseball team that's not owned by a scumbag and that doesn't play in a decrepit dumpster, and it'd do well.

2) Rename West South, and suddenly the Rays and Marlins fit. The Orioles and Reds less so, but it's not as if it's significantly worse than the way it is now.

Top Bottom