• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

Talon

We've known this for a few days, no? I feel like I read about it sometime over the weekend.

Medlen was so effective in the pen. He must be pissed, though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wait it has been confirmed he is moving to the mlb rotation? i know wood was demoted to start again in AAA. Wasn't aware of a decision for the mlb rotation though.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Derek Lowe just announced his retirement.

JnMz3.gif

lowefck2_2.gif

hemtae

Wrestling-gaf has invaded with the lack of baseball and I have no idea what's happening.

Good thing baseball comes back tomorrow to repel this horrible attack.

ESPN looks at 5 Trades That Need To Happen because the make so much sense:

Trade No. 1: Pittsburgh Pirates acquire pitcher Cliff Lee from the Philadelphia Phillies for shortstop Alen Hanson, pitcher Luis Heredia and second baseman Dilson Herrera
Trade No. 2: Philadelphia Phillies second baseman Chase Utley and catcher Carlos Ruiz to the Oakland Athletics for outfielder Michael Choice, second baseman Jemile Weeks and starting pitcher Michael Ynoa

Utley is an absolutely perfect fit for the A's. He does all the things that Oakland values, and despite his health issues over the past few years, he remains an elite player when he's on the field. His 126 wRC+ this year equals what Dustin Pedroia is doing for the Red Sox, and no one thinks he's over the hill. If he stays healthy, Utley could easily add two wins to the A's total over their rotation of second basemen, and he would provide another left-handed bat to a lineup that could use some thump from that side.

Ruiz, meanwhile, would provide the team with another catching option and a guy who could form a formidable platoon with John Jaso. While Derek Norris hasn't been bad, and Ruiz has been pretty lousy since coming off the disabled list, Ruiz has continued to pound left-handed pitching, which is Jaso's primary flaw. He's also good at gunning down would-be base stealers, and could serve as a defensive upgrade when the A's want to put their best run-prevention lineup on the field.

To get the Phillies to sell, the A's have to give them enough of a return to forfeit the right to make Utley a qualifying offer. Michael Choice may be the bait that would make Ruben Amaro bite. Choice ranked as the A's third-best prospect on Keith Law's preseason top 10, and while he hasn't yet taken a big leap forward, he's held his own in Triple-A and isn't that far from the big leagues. Given the Phillies' reliance on Delmon Young this season, they could certainly use some talent in the outfield. Choice could be able to contribute as soon as next season.

Weeks and Ynoa are lottery tickets whose early promise has mostly fizzled, but both could still develop into big leaguers at some point. Weeks is showing good on-base skills in Triple-A, though he might end up as a utility infielder. Ynoa, fresh from giving up a home run in the Futures Game, still throws hard but might profile best as a reliever. These guys provide some upside, but Choice is the guy who makes this deal work for Philadelphia. The A's would likely prefer to keep him in their organization, but facing an opportunity to make a substantial upgrade in a dogfight of a division race, they should take the plunge. You can replace a prospect like Michael Choice, but flags fly forever.
Thoughts Phillies/Pirates/A's GAF?

ESPN looks at 5 Trades That Need To Happen because the make so much sense:

Thoughts Phillies/Pirates/A's GAF?
No to both. If before the season started I had said Howard would be hurt all year, Doc would be hurt all year, Cole would big time, and the bullpen would be a disaster again, everyone would have said the Phillies would be 10 games under at least at this point in the season. They just had a great home stand and have a real shot at the playoffs. No way should they give that up.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Brandon Phillips said:
“I just feel like they didn’t have to sign Joey to that contract. He still had two more years on his,” says Phillips. “And for [the front office] to go out there and sign him before they sign me, and they knew I was going to be a free agent?” Phillips shakes his head. “I understand Joey’s a good player. He’s one of the best players in this game. But I feel like I am too. I told them that this is where I wanted to be. I begged them. I told everybody I want to finish my career here. And then they give someone a contract who didn’t ask for nothing?”

“To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened,” he says. “For [Castellini] to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face.”
http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/features/story.aspx?ID=2007148

jakncoke

Banned
We need hitting more than we need pitching so giving up 3 pretty top prospects for a 34 that makes 20 a year might not be the best.

RBH

It’s something that Bill Veeck knew and it’s a staple of the Minors: when all else fails, make sure you do creative promotions. The Miami Marlins have certainly taken this to heart for a date in late August.

Yes, the club that can boast the worst attendance in Major League Baseball in just the second season in a brand new ballpark is pulling out the stops on Aug 24th when they host a Legends of Wrestling Night which will feature over a dozen Hall of Famers, former World Champions and current professional wrestlers. You won’t get The Rock or Hulk Hogan, but former WWE/WCW Heavyweight Champion Bill Goldberg will throw out the first pitch, wrestlers will sign autographs during the game and then post-game there will be three to four wrestling matches inside the ring on the West Plaza of Marlins Park. While the list is subject to change, here’s who the Marlins have listed as appearing. No word on whether Jeffrey Loria or David Samson will be part of any cage matches:

* Bret “The Hitman” Hart (WWE Hall of Famer)
* Bill Goldberg (former WWE & WCW World Heavyweight Champion)
* Greg “The Hammer” Valentine (WWE Hall of Famer)
* Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake (former WWF Tag Team Champion)
* Koko B. Ware (WWE Hall of Famer)
* Jimmy “Mouth of the South” Hart (WWE Hall of Famer)
* The Nasty Boys (former WWF & WCW Tag Team Champions)
* Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart (former WWF Tag Team Champion)
* Bushwhacker Luke (former WWE superstar)
* The Genius (former WWE superstar)
* Mr. Anderson (former TNA World Heavyweight Champion)
* Chavo Guerrero (former WCW, WWE and TNA Tag Team Champion)
* Davey Boy Smith, Jr. (former WWE Tag Team Champion)
* Wes Brisco (current TNA superstar)
* Garett Bischoff (current TNA superstar)
http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?...tq-in-august&catid=71:sponsorships&Itemid=164

Top Bottom