• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

VoxPop

Damn just read Yoshihiro Takayama is paralyzed from the neck down after a botched move on a pro wrestling show back in May

pixelation

Zero crow here. Mediocre event for me personally.

Conor's ground game being suspect has nothing to do with guys like Maia standing around doing nothing when they can't get a takedown or pull guard.

Much better to me than some numbered cards honestly, but every person's got a different taste. Yesterday most of the fighters were there to fight, they may not be the best figthers out there but they sure weren't lacking in the heart department.

zewone

Moreno is way too sloppy on the feet for someone as sharp as Perris. It was a clinic. Dana can't seem to catch a break with Mexican stars.

The irony being that Pettis is of Mexican descent.

Much better to me than some numbered cards honestly, but every person's got a different taste. Yesterday most of the fighters were there to fight, they may not be the best figthers out there but they sure weren't lacking in the heart department.

I mainly enjoying watching the highest level of combat. I can look up youtube fight comps if I'm looking for heart rather than talent.

VoxPop

Yeah it's not a huge deal to me. Maybe there's just been one too many duds these days and we got the Volkov/Struve card coming up next week. I'm guessing it's mainly because they didn't want any amazing cards as all the focus is on MayMac at the moment.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/36074210/mike-bisping
9Ci5qIx.png

Damn just read Yoshihiro Takayama is paralyzed from the neck down after a botched move on a pro wrestling show back in May
Wtf, that's really terrible. He must have been at the end of his career too, surprised he was still active.

I think she's going to be a straw weight?
Wow really? I thought she was missing at 125 and what not. I'm probably misremembering that though.

Edit: the phrase 'Mackenzie Dern misses weight' brings back a lot of results. She definitely should not be allowed to fight at strawweight.

Heel

Too strange that he has no NDA while the other sparring partners have kept their mouths shut. Paulie likely has his own agenda. Maybe trying to get a payday as a McGregor opponent if Conor stays boxing.

Fully in cooperation with McGregor. Stay woke, my friends.

Conor is gonna get his ass beat by Mayweather then just get another huge pay day fighting Paulie.

We will see Nick Diaz fight in the UFC again before we ever see Conor.

Haunted

"Whoa so you think there might be a secret government base on the opposite side of the moon? I wouldn't doubt it man. You never know whats up these days. Have you seen this video of a zebra fighting a hippo? It's crazy dude. Pull up that video. Check this out." *dead air for 20 seconds*

"Whoa that's a real zebra?"

"Yeah hell yeah man that's real. They'll totally f you up man. They're wild. They'll attack anything they don't give a shit. They're like honeybadgers and horses mixed together. Hey bring up that video of a honeybadger going ape shit on a mountain line. Can you find it? Bring that up. Here check this out .. "

etc etc
:lol :lol :lol

Conor is gonna get his ass beat by Mayweather then just get another huge pay day fighting Paulie.

nobody knows who paulie is, nobody will care about that fight. paulie is trying to get relevant by causing this fake drama and promoting his podcast.

Pauli/Conor in the UFC I could actually see. It'd be the opposite of the Mayweather thing. Conor would be the clear cut draw and money maker so he could make Paulie come into his world. It'd probably be the UFC's biggest event ever.

VoxPop

i know there are a bunch of rose fans in here

watch the MMA hour with pat/rose, really compelling stuff. if you remember, rose removed pat from cornering her, and this goes into everything~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKXSsCMPzQ

Just randomly listened to MMA Hour and it's pretty great getting an insight into all these fighters I wouldn't care too much about. Looking forward to Melendez, Felder, Barry and Rose's next moves.

I knew from the get go that there'll be issues with Paulie/Conor. Paulie has CTE and is retarded and Conors ego became massively huge that he cant hear anybody anymore. Very bad combo.

All Boxers care about is their image and record. Its why most fights fucking suck.

Its too difficult to become a household name in boxing. All they have as the ultimate marketing tool is their record. Undefeated fighters are still special even today.

Gotta love how everyone in boxing is like 30 and 0. It must literally be like that Simpsons episode where the promoters have their guys fight hobos who are being compensated with a warm meal.

Gotta love how everyone in boxing is like 30 and 0. It must literally be like that Simpsons episode where the promoters have their guys fight hobos who are being compensated with a warm meal.

Young boxers are often more protected because historically record matters more in boxing. You have a guy who is young and talented and promising you are going to feed him cans and bums to pad his record because a guy who is 22-0 w/ 18 KOs is more likely to get a prime time shot than someone who is 9-0 with 7 KOs. It's just dated perception stuff that is hard to overcome.

Levito

Banned
Casual watchers like undefeated streaks, it looks good on paper. Help promote a star more.

The one thing the UFC has historically been good about is not protecting champions from contenders; which does make it hard for them to make stars. I remember when they thought Cain was going to be a megastar and their ticket into the Mexican market then JDS KO'd him in 90 seconds. Good times.

It'd be nice if people just looked at who a fighter has actually beat as opposed to a win/loss ratio but what can you do.

Dysun

I don't mind the GSP/Bisping match up. Way more interesting than about anything else they can do with GSP at this point in WW

Meltzer has UFC 213 at 135k buys (lmao)

And UFC 214 at 860k

I think that 214 number is pretty great considering how poorly I felt the lead up was done. Jones being gone might have made him a bigger draw...will see.

VoxPop

Anderson Silva vs Kelvin Gastelum targeted for Shanghai.

Hopefully my old man can pull it off even though I like Gastelum.

Top Bottom