• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Thiago Tavares vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov

iAQX736Ez1gjg.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine took place January 12, 2013 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena Oklahoma City, OK. The entire Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine payroll can be seen below, however these figures do not represent a fighter's total earnings, as sponsorship money and discretionary post-fight bonuses are not publicly disclosed.

Main Card
Tarec Saffiedine ($19,500 + $19,500 = $39,000) def. Nate Marquardt ($40,000)
Daniel Cormier ($60,000 + $60,000 = $120,000) def. Dion Staring ($8,000)
Josh Barnett ($250,000 + no win bonus = $250,000) def. Nandor Guelmino ($12,000)
Gegard Mousasi ($175,000 + no win bonus = $175,000) def. Mike Kyle ($25,000)
Ronaldo Souza ($72,500 + $28,000 = $100,500) def. Ed Herman ($34,000)

Preliminary Card
Ryan Couture ($15,000 + $7,000 = $22,000) def. KJ Noons ($41,000)
Tim Kennedy ($55,000 + $25,000 = $80,000) def. Trevor Smith ($8,000)
Pat Healy ($27,000 + $15,000 = $42,000) def. Kurt Holobaugh ($9,000)
Roger Gracie ($47,000 + $47,000 = $94,000) def. Anthony Smith ($10,000)
Adriano Martins ($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def. Jorge Gurgel ($10,000)
Estevan Payan ($6,000 + $6,000 = $12,000) def. Michael Bravo ($6,000)

those are some lopsided ass salaries

knee

Posting that gif in every Bisping thread is Sherdog law, as if it's in anyway relevant considering it was 4 years ago, the only stoppage he has and would have ko'd anyone.

I wouldn't know. I stopped going to Sherdog some time ago-- well before that fight, actually.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Who the fuck is Khabib Nurmagomedov?

*googles*

Oh yeah, the one Russian guy on planet Earth who actually smiles!

On a more depressing note, looks like DmC is reviewing well. Seems we will never get old DMC back. Living in the early 00's indeed ; )
DMC may be dead but as long as Platinum Games lives we will be getting superior character action games.

Bendo vs. Gilbert at UFC on Fox 7 :eek:
You guys hear that? That's the sound of the air coming out of an inflated can for 5 rounds.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
LOL @ Caniel and Barnett making so much cash. If I'm Uncle Dana, I offer them 6 & 6 and tell them to take it or leave it.

bone_and_sinew

LOL @ Caniel and Barnett making so much cash. If I'm Uncle Dana, I offer them 6 & 6 and tell them to take it or leave it.
Barnett will probably get the boot, too much past-drama and you legit never know whether he'll pass a drug test or not. Plus he's already 35, not exactly a spring chicken
unless he's on TRT or HGH which he probably is

I'd keep Cormier even with his current salary. The UFC should be grooming this guy as a star. Olympic-caliber athlete, cuts hot promos, has exciting fights with an observable evolving set of skills, two-division flexibility. They should be striking while the iron is hot, especially since he'll be 34 in March.

bone_and_sinew

Those inflated salaries are part of the reason Strikeforce needed to be sold to begin with, with a certain Russian and his cronies being the biggest salary drain of all.

Vio-Lence

Banned
pitbull wrath of the khans part 5 dropped the other day. i listened to it at work, pretty nice finale to the series. 2 hours and 8 minutes :)

http://i.imgur.com/s0Pfi.gif[IMG]

This is Bispings curse, he was going to get KO'd, smoked and laid out according to many, Stann was legit etc...

Then Bisping beats him and it's "lol Brian Cann".

Bisping v Mayhem, well they both looked like shit due to the short training camp, doing TUF for months with little training, the usually lean Mike looked chubby going into that fight.

I still agree with you that Vitor will win, I just don't think it will be a devastation, more like a flash TKO that Bisping walks away from after it's stopped.[/QUOTE]
I've been calling him Brian Cann since his LHW days. He showed a bit of promise at 185 with his first win but his wins over Leben and Santiago weren't huge achievements IMO. Leben was sick as fuck the night of their fight and had already fought twice in the weeks prior which is unheard of, and Jorge Santiago is a very flawed fighter who was only good for competitive wars with Japanese cans who are even worse than American cans. By the time Chael Sonnen subbed Cann easily and then cut his awesome promo, Chael didn't really gain much by a quick submission of him because he was already regarded to be Brian Cann. OF course some of that may have just been irrational Sonnen hate and a resistance to give him the recognition he was due, but the sentiment was already there. Then you have Sakara who is more known for the fights he pulls out of than the ones he actually makes it to, and this guy is ridiculously flawed too. Everyone who knew their shit had Bisping winning by decision vs Cann and didn't take him too seriously even before that fight.

bone_and_sinew

As a post-fight self-promoter, Cormier did even better, attempting to chart his own course for 2013 by calling his shot with two major matchups in separate divisions. First, he said he would like to fight Frank Mir at the rumored UFC on FOX 7 show in San Jose, California, and after that, he wants to make the drop to light-heavyweight to fight divisional champion Jon Jones.

Whoa.

If Cormier's desire was to stoke the fires of fans and plant a seed in the minds of the UFC brass, check and check. It was a master class in promotion.
We see call-outs all the time, but who calls out two guys in one night? It was a plan audacious, brilliant and downright ballsy.

"No, nothing's been signed," he acknowledged a short time later in the Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine post-fight press conference. "This is just what I said in my ideal universe, that's what would happen as this year goes on. It could not happen, but if it doesn't, I'll just keep plugging away."

You can't blame the guy for trying. In fact, we should probably credit him for it. Too often, we see fighters waste the few precious seconds of microphone time they get after winning, a moment when the whole mixed martial arts world is watching them at once. You can understand their desire to thank their coaches and teammates, but it's a time that is much better spent building interest in what is next. Few of them do, even when prompted to address what opponent they might prefer to see in their immediate future.

But last night, he also had a secondary goal of jumpstarting his UFC career with his words. It is perhaps a byproduct of his age and intelligence that motivated Cormier to offer his comments and attempt to set events into motion.

"Now that [Strikeforce] is over, I'm going to head over to the UFC and hopefully be more busy, more active," he said. "I mean, I'm old. I'm 33 years old and I just started so I've got to get busy and take advantage of my athletic prime."

2012 was mostly a year of frustration for Cormier, who fought once, had a fight canceled and spent two separate parts of the year nursing a broken hand back to health. With his 34th birthday looming in March, he's not content to let 2013 play out, instead choosing to take control of his destiny and at least ask for what he wants. Time and again, we've seen the UFC bosses reward vocal fighters who take such action.

In asking for two major names at once, the bold heavyweight may get neither, but at least the decision-makers know his ambition, at least the fans can grasp the depths of his drive. Either way, Daniel Cormier is coming, and Mir and Jones are officially put on notice.

Mike Chiappetta knows what's up. If Cormier loses to Jones he can still use a potential Mir win (who at this point is basically a title-shot gatekeeper) to stay in the mix at heavyweight. War Black Fedor!

MjFrancis

Bendo vs. Gilbert at UFC on Fox 7 :eek:
I've honestly never watched Melendez fight. I've seen highlight reel stuff, but no full fights. The only reason I know he's a can crusher is because MMA-GAF told me so. That and he previously passed on joining the UFC.

Probably better for his paycheck for this April 20th FOX fight.

bone_and_sinew

Big Foot Silver got destroyed by Cormier 9 months after having just destroyed Fedor. MMA-Math between common opponents has spoken.

I still can't believe that Bigfoot beat down Fedor like that. It really made Fedor look terrible to many MMA fans. It's Ok to get submitted by Werdum and KOd by Hendo, but to get your ass kicked by Bigfoot? Yeah that should have never happened especially on how he got Molly whopped 2 fights in a row right after that.

I still can't believe that Bigfoot beat down Fedor like that. It really made Fedor look terrible to many MMA fans. It's Ok to get submitted by Werdum and KOd by Hendo, but to get your ass kicked by Bigfoot? Yeah that should have never happened especially on how he got Molly whopped 2 fights in a row right after that.
My opinion of the Fedor/Hendo fight being stopped too early still stands.

Heel

I still can't believe that Bigfoot beat down Fedor like that. It really made Fedor look terrible to many MMA fans.

Appreciate the career as a whole, not its Vadim-tarnished end. Father Time took The Great Fedor deep into the 5th with his tremendous, Cain-like cardio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom