• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

We all know the endgame. 50-45.

I have GSP UD in my picks and it pained me to click on him. Those are some points I do not want.

Who I want to win: Nick Diaz

Who I know will win: GSP

:/

Pretty much :(

Are you going to have a meltdown when Slippery Georges holds Diaz down for 5 5 minute rounds and as a result is awarded a win in what is referred to by the ABC as a "Mixed Martial Arts" contest?

Stop it you guys, you're giving me a semi.

Pengew

I don't buy that Hunto turned down the fight. Dana doesn't want either of the two bigger HW draws getting knocked out. He turned Hunt down and told him to shut up about it.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hunto said:
Jus so u know I don't turn fights down
Hunto said:
I have never turned down a fight and even wen I was injured I had to force myself not to fight your general fears no man but the almighty

From his twitter. We're not getting the full story here, obviously.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The first of our comrades, Akop Stepanyan, just shot down his opponent like HIND D missiles blowing up a resistance militia.

New GAF outrage: "Bros before Hos" trophy in God of War: Ascension.

b1zm8wM.jpg

bone_and_sinew

Russia went 2-1 tonight with two excellent finishes. The Mother Land is proud of comrade Akop's performance and comrade Frodo's complete outgrappling of a Nova União bjj black belt. Once again sambo proves its superiority over bjj.

The less is said about Sultan's disgraceful performance, the better. He will be erased from the record books and die like a dog without honor in a gulag.

Russia went 2-1 tonight with two excellent finishes. The Mother Land is proud of comrade Akop's performance and comrade Frodo's complete outgrappling of a Nova União bjj black belt. Once again sambo proves its superiority over bjj.

The less is said about Sultan's disgraceful performance, the better. He will be erased from the record books and die like a dog without honor in a gulag.

Sultan's gonna get buried alive.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
What was your budget like for the month you trained at Suwit? I just looked at the cost for accommodation and training for a month, and it is quite cheap. How much did you end up spending on food, entertainment, unexpected costs, etc. for the month, if you don't mind me asking? The most expensive part for me would definitely be the airfare coming all the way from Vancouver. Do you think it would be worth it to pay the extra money for 1 on 1 instruction? I'm new to Muay Thai (been doing kickboxing for a while), and it seems pretty cheap to pay the extra for private instruction.

I took roughly 15,000 Baht for training and accommodation, including pickup to-from Phuket Airport. There's a cafe and convenience store right next to (and owned by) the gym where I ate everything before and after training. A decent meal was 50-70 Baht. Getting an electrolyte drink and energy drink added a few extra costs as well, but unless you're going out to Patong and parting all the time then your stay will be ridiculously cheap.

My total budget for non-training and non-flights for the month was 10,000-20,000. I didn't do much partying, and ended up just buying two sets of gloves, shinguards, couple of shorts, t-shirts, etc with my excess money.

You can negotiate with the guy who administrates SuWit to get your meals included in your fee. It's good food, but eating it constantly will be grating. But like I said, around the corner is the Tiger Muay Thai / Phuket Top Team "infrastructure" that hosts a lot of restaurants and bars. Including a pretty good barbecue place.

And I'm not sure about 1 on 1, seeing as how I noticed pretty much everyone there including myself was getting 1-on-1 training. My instructor was taking care of me and another guy. When he held pads for me, the other guy would just do bag work, and vice-versa.

I was flying from Taipei, but even still my flights were the biggest expense.

bone_and_sinew

What's the trophy about? I don't want to go into the GOW thread.

edit: just googled. ROFL what a complete non-issue. It's a franchise with sex mini-games for crying out loud.

industrian

Oh yeah, I said that I "jacked" my foot at training on Tuesday night...

Well I woke up today unable to put any weight on it. A trip to the emergency room later and it looks like just a really bad sprain. So I've got a bunch of painkillers for the week.
After my issues with DVT and PE I get bent out of shape about any pain on my feet/legs...

Trying to find a place in Taipei that has crutches big enough for me was a hassle, but luckily I found a Buddhist-run charity/thrift store where they not only found me a pair of free crutches to use, but also gave me a free lunch.

bone_and_sinew

Oh yeah, I said that I "jacked" my foot at training on Tuesday night...

Well I woke up today unable to put any weight on it. A trip to the emergency room later and it looks like just a really bad sprain. So I've got a bunch of painkillers for the week.
After my issues with DVT and PE I get bent out of shape about any pain on my feet/legs...

Trying to find a place in Taipei that has crutches big enough for me was a hassle, but luckily I found a Buddhist-run charity/thrift store where they not only found me a pair of free crutches to use, but also gave me a free lunch.
You should write a book about your overseas adventures.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I took roughly 15,000 Baht for training and accommodation, including pickup to-from Phuket Airport. There's a cafe and convenience store right next to (and owned by) the gym where I ate everything before and after training. A decent meal was 50-70 Baht. Getting an electrolyte drink and energy drink added a few extra costs as well, but unless you're going out to Patong and parting all the time then your stay will be ridiculously cheap.

My total budget for non-training and non-flights for the month was 10,000-20,000. I didn't do much partying, and ended up just buying two sets of gloves, shinguards, couple of shorts, t-shirts, etc with my excess money.

You can negotiate with the guy who administrates SuWit to get your meals included in your fee. It's good food, but eating it constantly will be grating. But like I said, around the corner is the Tiger Muay Thai / Phuket Top Team "infrastructure" that hosts a lot of restaurants and bars. Including a pretty good barbecue place.

And I'm not sure about 1 on 1, seeing as how I noticed pretty much everyone there including myself was getting 1-on-1 training. My instructor was taking care of me and another guy. When he held pads for me, the other guy would just do bag work, and vice-versa.

I was flying from Taipei, but even still my flights were the biggest expense.
Okay, awesome. Thanks for the answer! I'm pretty positive I'll try out this gym in August. I'll probably be working in Japan in September and definitely want to do something fun and challenging before I start working full-time.

MOTHERFUCKER I HOPE YOU'RE PAMPERED

this conference call is amazing. so much more amazing than anything following it will be. diaz can't follow this up with anything anywhere near as awesome.

Nick Diaz is like MMA's less articulate version of Tupac with his general attitude.

Vio-friend, check your PMs for something we discussed briefly in nerd chat...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
MOTHERFUCKER I HOPE YOU'RE PAMPERED

this conference call is amazing. so much more amazing than anything following it will be. diaz can't follow this up with anything anywhere near as awesome.

Nick Diaz is like MMA's less articulate version of Tupac with his general attitude.

It was amazing, but he could top it. Imagine if he wins and tells Georges to take some time off to be himself and live his own life. In my dreams Diaz wins by guillotine in a re-enactment of that part in Guida/Maynard after Gray drops his hands.

The highlight for me was Nick turning GSP into the bad guy over the "he deserves to be beat down" comment. Anyone who lets Joe Silva pick their fights for them would be too safe and stale to tear down the facade with a truth bomb like that.

It was amazing, but he could top it. Imagine if he wins

yeah lol you can stop right there unfortunately.

the MMA gods really delivered big time on the Fuel card and it had been a very long time since we had that kind of catharsis. The gods blew their load in Japan and now we should prepare for 5 rounds of GSP sitting in half guard to make up for it.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
yeah lol you can stop right there unfortunately.

the MMA gods really delivered big time on the Fuel card and it had been a very long time since we had that kind of catharsis. The gods blew their load in Japan and now we should prepare for 5 rounds of GSP sitting in half guard to make up for it.

Oh I know. I clicked the decision button on my picks without hesitation just like everyone else. My most optimistic hope is that Nick scraps enough to get GSP's attention and his respect. Maybe a spirited enough contest will make Georges think twice about his thuggish desire to inflict violence on another human and instead follow the ways of a true martial artist like Diaz.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I just listened to the UFC Presser.

I literally spit my coffee out a couple time.

"Uneducated fool."

"I speak better english than you."

"Nick, listen to yourself."

Good stuff.

industrian

The normally composed Taiwanese masses seem to be making a hell of a noise outside my apartment.

I've just been informed that Taiwan (sorry, "Chinese Taipei") are playing Japan in a Baseball World Cup or whatever.

Baseball is seriously the most boring-ass sport in the entire world. Even Cricket has a modicum of excitement to it.

MjFrancis

Baseball is seriously the most boring-ass sport in the entire world.
Once I stopped drinking beer and wandering around the ballpark half the game and watched a game on television I discovered in fact that baseball was overpoweringly dull. It's the perfect sport for radio because it's slow enough that every play and piece of action can be called with accuracy. You can picture who is doing what at any given time save for the most fantastic of plays - the same can't be said for football or basketball. Listening to those is unbearable - nevermind the grating way most announcers scream "GOAL" in the former - but there's just too much going on at any given moment to have a clear picture in my head of the field or court.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
How much did you end up spending on food, entertainment, unexpected costs, etc. for the month, if you don't mind me asking?
Food and entertainment in that part of Asia (anywhere that isn't Seoul or Japan) is ridiculously cheap, especially if you're coming from Vancouver.

Taipei is sometimes a hard place to get around with a bad wheel. Hope you get better soon.

Baseball is seriously the most boring-ass sport in the entire world. Even Cricket has a modicum of excitement to it.
Don't take away the only thing those people have.

Heel

Does GSP view his fans simply as passive income to get his economy rolling?

http://www.twitter.com/GeorgesStPierre

Fun to read knowing this pampered motherfucker doesn't even use his Twitter to talk to his 600k+ apologists and is actually ran by his handlers pretending to be him.

GSP is as fake as a Takada fight in Saitama, playboys.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Is it entirely possible that GSP's handlers and management focus grouped the fuck out of his boring fighting style because it's less likely to alienate the casual fans. Perhaps their rigorous market analysis determined that excitement and the potential for violence would alienate soccer moms and the casual audience that feeds his money train.

Heel

A Reddit post from GSP's target male demo:

GSP is good for MMA. The bad boy attitude has been holding back the sport for ages. It's time for change. We need professional, humble athletes like GSP to carry the torch. This isn't WWE, this is a REAL sport. A guy like Diaz holding the belt would be horrible. We don't need this "smoke weed 4 life 209 stockton" crap.

GSP is one of the most popular athletes in MMA. He's subject to enormous pressure, I bet his contract had a clause about a publishing company overtaking his Twitter to promote products. I'd sign a deal like that in seconds, considering how much he gets paid for it. You would too! The dark place thing is cheesy/silly, but I don't see why it's such a big deal. Nobody is "raving" about it. This is an overnight thing.

The real issue: how is the sport compromised by GSP's agent running his twitter? All of the sudden he's the bad guy and you're cheering for Diaz?

Let me remind you that it was Diaz that no-showed press conferences and screwed himself out of a title shot (UFC 137). It was Diaz that decided that smoking weed for 2 weeks was more important than his fighting license (post UFC 143).

It was DIAZ that no-showed a world-class grappling match against Estima at the last minute and screwed over FANS that had paid to see him specifically.
Let's be real and remember who really needs a beatdown.

lol what a mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom