• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it entirely possible that GSP's handlers and management focus grouped the fuck out of his boring fighting style because it's less likely to alienate the casual fans. Perhaps their rigorous market analysis determined that excitement and the potential for violence would alienate soccer moms and the casual audience that feeds his money train.
GSP allowing focus groups to dictate his fighting style? Sounds plausible enough to me.

GSP's handlers and management focus grouped the fuck out of his boring fighting style because it's less likely to alienate the casual fans. Their rigorous market analysis determined that excitement and the potential for violence would alienate soccer moms and the casual audience that feeds his money train.

0380_a7nr.gif

Heel

GSP allowing focus groups to dictate his fighting style? Sounds plausible enough to me.

"Mr. SP, your core fanbase of 18-35 year old wives and moist white males do not like you being mean to your opponents after you've clearly bested them. It's too violent, and unnecessary to hurt them more than what's needed to win in their eyes.

Please pepper them with jabs, grapple and emphasize athleticism for 25 minutes for maximum ROI."

Vio-Lence

Banned
"Mr. SP, your core fanbase of 18-35 year old wives and moist white males do not like you being mean to your opponents after you've clearly bested them. It's too violent, and unnecessary to hurt them more than what's needed to win in their eyes.

Please pepper them with jabs, grapple and emphasize athleticism for 25 minutes for maximum ROI."

ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE.

MjFrancis

It's funny that when I explain the highlights of Bad MMA to people who aren't in the know, they always tell me it sounds more entertaining that the MMA the UFC has them paying for.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It's funny that when I explain the highlights of Bad MMA to people who aren't in the know, they always tell me it sounds more entertaining that the MMA the UFC has them paying for.

The magic of Bad MMA is when the bookers inadvertently just book wave upon wave of 1st round squash matches due to their inability to discern about just which one of the 3-2 fighters they're pairing up is actually any good.

MjFrancis

The magic of Bad MMA is when the bookers inadvertently just book wave upon wave of 1st round squash matches due to their inability to discern about just which one of the 3-2 fighters they're pairing up is actually any good.
I'd like to believe it's an intentional effort to satiate the crowd's thirst for blood.

ShaneB

When you generally look at an events results of 10 fights, and one card is nothing but round 1 finishes, and the other card is 10 decisions... what looks like the better card with a quick glance?

I love great fights, we all do, but we all love squash matches too, don't kid yourself. The great fighters get great fighting anyone, and when they're on top, the super fights never happen because these bums never want to fight anyone that they might lose again.

industrian

I'd like to believe it's an intentional effort to satiate the crowd's thirst for blood.

Well, every regional promotion's booker has their own version of Gary Goodridge on their speed dial. For better or for worse. But 90% of the time it's a case of "Oh shit. Can you fight on <date>!?! Please say you can fight on <date>!!"

Asian cards in particular suffer from this. You have a handful of decent fighters who could make it to Bellator, a truckload of debutants, a bunch of shitty 3-7s that need recycled and maybe - just maybe - 1 dude who could make it to the UFC.

When you generally look at an events results of 10 fights, and one card is nothing but round 1 finishes, and the other card is 10 decisions... what looks like the better card with a quick glance?

I love great fights, we all do, but we all love squash matches too, don't kid yourself. The great fighters get great fighting anyone, and when they're on top, the super fights never happen because these bums never want to fight anyone that they might lose again.

When fights go to a decision, two things spring to mind:

A) One or both fighters lacked the decisiveness needed to finish either due to fatigue, lack of skill/conditioning, or just general unwillingness.
B) The fighters are too high-level and too conditioned to be finished.

A is obviously a shit match. B will probably be fight of the night.

But as with any sport that allows for draws/judging, only proper fans of the sport will appreciate (B) fully. Just like only fans of soccer will fully appreciate a high-octane 0-0 match.

Vio-Lence

Banned
To me it's all about intent. There are fights that have gone to decision that were great fights. Did Shogun and Henderson go to decision? Yes. Where they trying to kill each other and finish the fight for 25 minutes? Fuck Yes.

industrian

To me it's all about intent. There are fights that have gone to decision that were great fights. Did Shogun and Henderson go to decision? Yes. Where they trying to kill each other and finish the fight for 25 minutes? Fuck Yes.

That's precisely what I mean by B.

The other fight on my head as a good example was Erick Silva vs. Jon Fitch. Both dudes went at it like they were on fire, but they were just too good to be finished.

Vio-Lence

Banned
That's precisely what I mean by B.

The other fight on my head as a good example was Erick Silva vs. Jon Fitch. Both dudes went at it like they were on fire, but they were just too good to be finished.

I agree, but I think a lot of decisions stem from Option A. I think most guys get into the cage with no intention of winning the fight by stoppage and go out there trying to execute a weak ass game-plan to win by points per the unified rules.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
But watching Maia fitch Fitch was awesome. I never cheered more for someone to just hang on and stall in my life.

MjFrancis

But watching Maia fitch Fitch was awesome. I never cheered more for someone to just hang on and stall in my life.
That was an oddity. It was only entertaining when you considered who Maia was doing the lay and pray on. Were any of the circumstances changed it would be an A fight, for lack of willingness to finish.

I didn't mind Fitch/Maia. Its not like Maia was just holding down LnP style. He was actively going for the sub. Im always down for a good grappling fight Saku/Newton style.

The worst fights are when fighters are stalling fights when pressed up against the cage. I fighting hate that.

Heel

The rumor is Mark Hunt didn't actually turn down the fight but asked for more money. Allegedly only making $6k/$6k from the Ultimate so I can't blame him.

Curious what this "GREAT conversation" with Dana Candie was all about. Maybe he's flying someone out with a suitcase of money PRIDE style to cement the deal.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Curious what this "GREAT conversation" with Dana Candie was all about. Maybe he's flying someone out with a suitcase of money PRIDE style to cement the deal.
"Let JDS and Overeem fight first, you get the loser of that fight, and we'll restructure your contract."

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
JDS doesn't want to wait for Reem.

Anyone find it funny that it took Diaz to show everyone that GSP is super cocky and talks shit?

Everyone talks shit when they argue with someone they don't like. Georges just had to be pushed into that dark place.

BAD MMA is entirely run on early Mike Tyson booking. just feed complete cans to the 4 or 5 semi-decent guys you have for the highlight reel KOs and Subs.

and it should remain that way, it's how you get people over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom