• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

I thought that after the very first fight. I haven't watched since episode three, but it sounds like nothing has changed in that regard. Being a great athlete does not necessitate great coaching ability - as Jon Jones as reminded us.

Yup, it speaks volumes that Luke Barnatt is going out to train with Chael after the show is done. Jones is too young and self involved to be a good coach, he really couldn't give two shits about anything but his own image.

Sonnen is one of the nicest guys in the sport, along with having good natural coaching instincts.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
With being 25 and all, I'm not surprised in the least that Jones doesn't have good coaching chops. It's something that grows with time.

Jones is too young and self involved to be a good coach

Basically this. Coaching/mentoring is a transformation brought on by age, experience and humility.

Here is the full 158 countdown if anyone is interested. And yeah I don't think Jones is a very good coach at all. While I understand he was in a tough position with that wild card pick last night, I was really disappointed that he went with the Jackson affiliated fighter instead of the guy who showed a lot of talent and promise

Yeah that irked me a lot. Clint looks to be the more talented/more entertaining and more likable guy. Bubba this entire season was full of himself, not impressive and has a boring style. To top it off all he did all season was bitch and cry about giving himself the easiest most winnable fight. And LOL at him losing to Team Sonnens worst guy. He only got that wild card cuz hes friends with Jones.

With being 25 and all, I'm not surprised in the least that Jones doesn't have good coaching chops. It's something that grows with time.

Basically this. Coaching/mentoring is a transformation brought on by age, experience and humility.

Dom Cruz was a great coach. I don't think age has all that much to do with it. Also how old was GSP when he was a TUF coach for the first time?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I thought that after the very first fight. I haven't watched since episode three, but it sounds like nothing has changed in that regard. Being a great athlete does not necessitate great coaching ability - as Jon Jones as reminded us.

TUF has had some really crappy coach-fighters. Nelson was horrible. Hughes was horrible. Rampage was horrible. Koscheck was horrible. Shamrock was horrible. Rich Franklin actually told one of the guys to take a fucking knee to avoid headkicks.

TUF has had some really crappy coach-fighters. Nelson was horrible. Hughes was horrible. Rampage was horrible. Koscheck was horrible. Shamrock was horrible. Rich Franklin actually told one of the guys to take a fucking knee to avoid headkicks.

I remember that. Has he ever explained this years after? Seems very un-Franklin like thing to coach people on.

Ill say Nelson and Huges were bad, but Rampage and Shamrock as coaches were downright embarrassing. Shamrock has to be the worst coach ever on the show. Shamrock managed to make Tito look like a good guy.

Thinking back, Bisping and Mayhem were both very good coaches as was Evans.

Yeah that irked me a lot. Clint looks to be the more talented/more entertaining and more likable guy. Bubba this entire season was full of himself, not impressive and has a boring style. To top it off all he did all season was bitch and cry about giving himself the easiest most winnable fight. And LOL at him losing to Team Sonnens worst guy. He only got that wild card cuz hes friends with Jones.

I'll give you more entertaining and likable.. but not more talented. If you watch the fights again, Bubba clearly has a more well rounded skillset. And though he failed to deliver, he didn't give the fight away like Clint did with that horrible takedown attempt.

And Jones given reason isn't exactly untrue. Clint is 25 while Bubba is 29. Considering that Bubba is not nearly as athletic he's get less time to make something of himself so why not give him another shot? Clint still has time to get himself into a bigger camp, round out his skills, and get into the UFC (if he isn't given a shot at an undercard slot anyways which Dana typically does with a lot of the non-winning cast). And considering that Clint's ground skills are bad and Casey's are legit it makes more sense from a match up perspective as well.

I'm not saying Jones didn't pick him because they're the same camp. That obviously weighed heavily in the decision... but I don't necessarily think it was a bad decision.

That's cuz Matt Serra is shorter than me and was fighting guys 5'10" and up.

MjFrancis

I thought Wanderlei was pretty awful too, but from what I understand no one watched TUF Brazil. If he wasn't a coach I wouldn't have, either. He was pretty funny and was constantly ragging on Vitor Belfort.

I'll probably catch shit for this but I thought Tito was a pretty good coach both times (though Dana tried to throw him under the bus at the end of the Tito v. Liddell season). I don't think I've seen any other coach specifically try to drill guys who were already eliminated on how to counter the techniques that beat them.

ShaneB - since you've found a new love for reading, what would you say is the best book you've read in the past year?

The best and the worst were on the same season. Season 3 Shamrock and Ortiz. Shamrock was atrocious. Worst coach ever ... the only person to give him a run for his money was Rampage. Tito surprisingly seemed like an awesome coach. He should probably just stick to that instead of ruining people's careers as a business manager. Poor Cyborg.

I'll probably catch shit for this but I thought Tito was a pretty good coach both times (though Dana tried to throw him under the bus at the end of the Tito v. Liddell season). I don't think I've seen any other coach specifically try to drill guys who were already eliminated on how to counter the techniques that beat them.

He was a good coach and Shamrock made him look so much better as well

SteveWD40

Only coaches I felt got it were Sonnen, Bisping and Rashad, funnily enough all talking heads on Fuel, Stann would be great as well.

Edit: yeah I forgot Tito, as much as it pains me he was soild.

Heel

I do think Jones is a crappy coach, but I also thought Chael's team was going to run away with this thing. I still think someone from Chael's team will win it, though.

With Uriah on Chael's team, I think it's pretty much a given. Jones really should've picked him up. I think his style and athleticism would've worked well with Jones assistant coaches.

I don't think you can judge Shamrock's professional coaching by his TUF season. He only took the job to get the Tito fight. Dana wouldn't give him the fight without the show. So he just didn't give a shit at all.

Friends, how would Funky Ben Askren fair against GSP?

Uriah Hall is gonna win the season. I can't see him losing to anyone.

I feel like he's already being put out there as a champ between the commercials and appearing at all the PPV events. I think they're working early to make him into the next big thing. Maybe in two years or so he can fight Weidman for that strap.

Heel

Friends, how would Funky Ben Askren fair against GSP?

How about against Bisping?

9XABdMO.png

Nothing better than a wrestlefucker being self-aware. Fitch and Guida could learn a thing or two from Funky Ben.

Friends, there is a new thread about a PS3 game that I feel will be very very relevant to your interests:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523209

I bought the first game and it was awful. Stopped playing it after 2 or 3 hours and never popped it in again. I felt borderline strange playing an all loli game too. I was interested in it because I thought it was going to be like Segagata or something that sounds like that

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Speaking of, I'm quite disappointed by the new God of War even after going in with low expectations. I also find some hilarity in DmC being the highest reviewed action game of the big 3 games to start the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom