• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChits

Speaking of, I'm quite disappointed by the new God of War even after going in with low expectations. I also find some hilarity in DmC being the highest reviewed action game of the big 3 games to start the year.

After the third God of War, I pretty much lost all interest. Hopefully if they continue with the series they introduce a new mythology.

Speaking of, I'm quite disappointed by the new God of War even after going in with low expectations. I also find some hilarity in DmC being the highest reviewed action game of the big 3 games to start the year.
Yeah I wasn't too hyped about Ascension to begin with but then I downloaded the demo and holy shit dat framerate. It was so bad and saved me from wasting $60 on it.

FACE

Banned
The internet sure as shit likes Veronica Mars(or Kristen Bell), huh? I remember seeing a few random episodes of it on the Warner Channel(I think) and they were painfully unfunny.

Party Down was cool, I'd pay for a revival of that.

Heel

Forget about God of War, Super Stickman Golf 2 for iOS devices comes out tonight with turn-based online multiplayer for the low price of 99 cents.

Let's hit the links, playboys. My chip game is unstoppable.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The internet sure as shit likes Veronica Mars(or Kristen Bell), huh? I remember seeing a few random episodes of it on the Warner Channel(I think) and they were painfully unfunny.

Party Down was cool, I'd pay for a revival of that.

Party Down is so good. I wish it was back on Netflix streaming again so I could watch it for a 4th or so time.

Just watched TUF - fuck that Bubba guy. I would've gone with Hester but I guess Jones had to pick Bubba cause he knew him from before.

The new pope is from Argentina, I sincerely hope my fellow brazilians are very salty right now.

Do Brazilians generally hate Argentinians?

The internet sure as shit likes Veronica Mars(or Kristen Bell), huh?

iMeRgQjPmEsZ6.gif

dream

I wrote an essay about Rush vs Nick for my 4 remaining friends.

What started out as a press conference turned into a game of Nick Diaz venting on everything from being yelled at by a soccer mom, portraying welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre as being pampered, complaining about how mixed martial arts fights have become boring, and being mad at what is being said when it comes to promoting the 3/16 title fight at Montreal’s Bell Centre.

"I don't get a lot of recognition for what I have to do here," said Diaz (26-8) in one of his long venting rants. "A lot of these guys go to red carpet events, are in magazines I think I'd be pretty upset. I'm coming to whip this guy's ass. This fight is happening and nobody knows who I am. Well, everybody does. But as far as mainstream magazines, and Nike and Adidas, I'm left out of that. I just think I should be given the credit that I deserve, and that Georges St-Pierre (23-2) should be given the decorated opponent that he deserves. And I'm hardly that from the fans' perspective and people's perspective. And that makes me pretty angry. And I come off on a video pretty angry. You can't say I'm disrespectful because I'd like the acknowledgment that I've gotten over the last months or weeks from Georges St-Pierre, because he'll tell you he believes I'm the right guy to be in this position."

What was clear is Saturday’s fight, in what will likely be the biggest PPV event in North America since Pacquiao vs. Marquez in December, and biggest in MMA since the Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen fight in July, is a match of social opposites. St-Pierre, who, as Diaz said, readily admitted Diaz is the right guy to be in the position, is focused on retaining his title. He’s also concerned with protecting his squeaky-clean image of being the polite, well-behaving Canadian sports hero, who in his country, is the face of a misunderstood sport. He’s at least partially responsible for Canada being so much stronger of a market for UFC than the U.S. per capita, and the fact the Canadian media was well ahead of the American media in accepting MMA as a mainstream sport.

With Diaz, he sees that as being phony, mad at St-Pierre for saying he's disrespectful and deserves a beat down when promoting the fight, although it was Diaz who started the game by claiming that St-Pierre had faked an injury to get out of a previously scheduled fight with him. And even there, the timing doesn't fit. St-Pierre's injury took place after Diaz was pulled from the October 29, 2011, fight, and was replaced by Carlos Condit, due to no-showing two press conferences.

But Diaz feels the world misunderstands him, and he's not really the bad guy in this conflict. Diaz, in his mind, is standing up for martial arts, the skill of boxing and Jiu Jitsu against rules that allow strength and athleticism to beat technical skill in the sports Diaz has devoted his life to. And he feels he's standing up against the sometimes contrived hype used to promote a fight, yet he’s benefitting the most from the exact same thing.

It’s using his mouth insulting the champion, combined with his unique charisma, that put him in the position to get a title shot coming off a loss and then a one-year drug suspension for his second marijuana test failure in Nevada.

"I guess I like to think I'm talking up my defense," said the Stockton, Calif. native, who was the welterweight champion in Strikeforce before coming to UFC for a title fight that has been delayed for two years due St-Pierre's injuries and Diaz's suspension. "You never know how things are going to come off on video. It doesn't matter. I've already come off a certain way to people, to the world. I'm already down that road and there's no going back."

But Diaz sees his role differently.

"I'd like to be thought of as someone who keeps it real," he said. "I don't like that I'm made out to be this evil person, who needs to be shot down and conquered. If anything, I'm the super hero coming in with the anti-bullshit.”

"This is mixed martial arts some boring ass shit we're watching," he said. "I like Georges. I'm a fan of Georges St-Pierre. I appreciate everything he does, and how he does everything to win, and it meets the scoring criteria that sucks. It really fucked it up for everybody, makes it especially about the strong wrestlers."

"People will see mixed martial arts for what it is and what it used to be," he said. "They've manipulated it, the scoring, the judging system. I think they should take the elbows out, too. It nullifies the action. That's how it works. One day people are going to realize it, and realize that this motherfucker was saying it the whole time."

"Being stronger and explosive, beating you to the punch in five minutes, it's not what martial arts is about," said Diaz. "Fans can recognize this. I've watched a shitload of fights. People want to see real skill level, real Jiu Jitsu, real boxing, put together and mixed up. They want to see mixed martial arts. They don't want to see five minutes of holding. I think there should be points deducted when you do that. You should have to punch down and have action. People should see that a little better."

But St-Pierre broke from his polite manner as Diaz continually interrupted him, and tried to portray him as a rich, pampered superstar who has people at his beck and call, "powdering his nose," as Diaz put it.

After hearing it for minutes on end, St-Pierre shot back, "Let me tell you something you uneducated fool," as each man started going back and forth. St-Pierre, who came from his own humble beginnings, was beginning to resent the idea Diaz was portraying this as the privileged king against the struggling commoner. In St-Pierre's mind, it's about a guy who worked hard and smart, and is now the ire of resentment because of his success.

"I haven't always been like this," he shot back at Diaz. "I haven't always been rich. I started at the bottom. As much as you don't believe this, because you didn't succeed yet, and maybe you'll never succeed, because I don't think you're smart enough to know what you have to do to reach this point. When you reach a point for your business, you need a team to make the economy, and keep the money rolling."

"That sounds nice," Diaz responded. "If I had someone buttering me up, maybe I'd have worked out. You don't even know where I came from. Nobody wants to come out here."

"You don't know anything about me," St-Pierre said. "You think I was born rich? I've worked really hard. You have no idea."

"You've worked hard on your backflip," said Diaz.

"If you are where you are and I'm where I am, it's your fault, because you didn't succeed," said St-Pierre.

"I'm not jealous," said Diaz. "You did the right shit. You had a year on me. You won that fight. I was right behind you. I don't mean to be disrespectful. I don't have anything against you. I think you've done a great job. I think you do a wonderful job. Sure, you're pampered. I don't have anything against that. If I had the money and had the right people on my side, I'd be doing it, but I'm over here. Try that when you're 21 until you're 32. It's a bitch."

Diaz wasn’t exactly correct on that time line. Diaz, 29, had just turned 20 when he debuted in UFC on September 26, 2003, submitting rival Jeremy Jackson. As a teenager in an underground game, he had held both the WEC welterweight title and the King of the Mountain welterweight title (there is no record of a match with Jeff Jarrett). St-Pierre, who went undefeated on the Montreal circuit as the TKO welterweight champion, was 22 when he debuted on January 31, 2004, on that year’s annual Super Bowl show in Las Vegas, beating then-highly regarded contender Karo Parisyan.

After wins over Parisyan and Jay Hieron, St-Pierre got his first title shot, which he lost via first round submission to Matt Hughes. He won five in a row after that, to get a second shot at Hughes on November 18, 2006, capturing the title. He’s been considered the best in the world in the weight division ever since, even though he dropped it and regained it in matches in 2007 and 2008 to Matt Serra.

Diaz won his first two in UFC, before losing via decision to Parisyan. Later, he lost three straight decisions to Diego Sanchez, Joe Riggs and Sean Sherk. Aside from a knockout loss to Jeremy Jackson just after his 19th birthday Diaz has never been finished by knockout or submission in a fight. He left UFC in 2006 when an outside promotion, which never got off the ground, offered him far more than UFC was. Eventually, when that group fell through, another promotion, Elite XC, signed him to be one of their signature stars. Aside from a blood stoppage loss to K.J. Noons, Diaz didn’t lose a fight between August 15, 2006 and his February 4, 2012 fight with Condit, including a run as Strikeforce welterweight champion, a title he had when the promotion was sold to UFC in 2012.

But there is another theme to this fight. St-Pierre is a huge favorite, probably more than he should be against someone with Diaz’s talents, ranging from 9-to-2 to 11-to-2, with the consensus being a 5-to-1 favorite. The belief is that Diaz won’t be able to stop St-Pierre’s takedown, and he’ll use it to win a five-round decision. But that’s judging Diaz on his 2006 losses, a different era. B.J. Penn, a great grappler, couldn’t beat him that way. In fact, nobody beat him that way in years. The idea is that Elite XC and Strikeforce, who wanted him as champion, never matched him with good wrestlers. There’s no doubt Elite XC played favorites with him, manipulating the lightweight class to 160 figuring Diaz could make that weight and dominate, although he lost his only title shot there. With Strikeforce, he gave the promotion constant headaches, to the point Showtime at one point said they would never use him again, only to change their minds because he’s a talented fighter that gets people talking. Diaz was a better ratings draw than most they had. He hasn’t proven to be a big PPV draw, as his numbers with Penn were disappointing. His numbers with Condit were good, considering it was Condit, largely due to the excellent television promotion. But they weren’t great. But this is the match people have been wanting to see for years.

But St-Pierre also faces pressure. Even though his match with Condit was one of 2012's most exciting fights, he’s still got the rep for being a boring fighter who takes people down and holds them there. Actually examining his matches really only shows a fight with Dan Hardy, where he went for submissions, but Hardy’s gumby-like arms saved him, where that’s really true. But his fight with Jake Shields, where he did play it safe given he could only see out of one eye, wasn’t exciting either. He’s working on a ten fight winning streak. Depending on how you classify the 1994 forfeit win by Harold Howard over Royce Gracie, St-Pierre either has the second longest winning streak in UFC history, behind Anderson Silva’s 16, or he ties Gracie for second place if he can beat Diaz. And unlike Silva, during most of that streak, he won every round he fought. But that’s still not enough, since his last five wins were all by decision. None were even close or controversial decisions, but he’s taken heat for not finishing even though dominating, or for not fighting the much larger Silva.

The idea St-Pierre is afraid to stand is ridiculous, since he had no problems doing so except in the second Serra fight and the Hardy fight. But he admits to playing the percentages. After beating Serra, he noted he knew he could win from the top 100%, while standing the odds were based on who got the first good punch. If Diaz’s takedown defense is not vastly improved since 2006, the playing percentages for St-Pierre is to control Diaz on the ground. While Diaz did lose a decision standing to Carlos Condit, it was a strategy of hitting and running that wasn’t crowd-pleasing. For St-Pierre to stand and trade against someone with Diaz’s hand speed and conditioning would please the crowd, and also be incredibly stupid, as it would play to Diaz’s strengths and risk his title. So he’s under a lot of pressure because, in the end, the only way to really please the fans is to fight what would be, on paper, the dumbest fight possible.

An exasperated St-Pierre responded at one point saying he couldn't even understand what Diaz was saying. And then shot the dagger, saying that he could speak English, which is his second language, better than Diaz, who only knows one language, could.

After another long rant by Diaz, St-Pierre responded, "I don't understand half of what he said."

Diaz then complained about the story being portrayed in television ads, mad that St-Pierre allowed Dana White to say how he's never seen anyone so disrespectful, and how Diaz deserves a beating.

"He doesn't have enough reason to fight me?," asked Diaz. "I'm the No. 1 martial artist. I deserve to get a beatdown? You know what, I don't think you deserve to get beat down. I don't want you to get beatdown. I want to win the fight."

"I deserve it (to get beat down) for running my mouth to get in the position to becoming something of what you are? You made the statement that I deserve to be beat down. You let Dana White say I'm the most disrespectful person you ever met. You let him say that. I pulled up to a stop light, some woman, a 40-year-old soccer mom, screamed out the window, `I hope Georges St-Pierre beats you ass.' We're in Lodi (a town near his home in Stockton). I'm living in a small town full of people who hate me. I'm trying to work my way into a fight and now I'm the most disrespectful person and I deserve to be beat down?

"When you say something, everyone believes it," Diaz continued. "Everyone wants to know what Georges says. Everyone wants to look like Georges, be like Georges. Forget Jiu Jitsu. Forget boxing. Let's do the superman punch. Who gave you your black belt. That's disrespectful right there."

"Have you listened to yourself," said St-Pierre after that.

"Fine, for all the fans, I'm this crazy motherfucker," said Diaz. "You know where I'm coming from. You're trying to talk shit. Why don't you just say, `We're going to have a fight?' I don't deserve to be beat down. You think you're going to win. You have good reason. You're No. 1. You're the best. I'm disrespectful this and that. I'm sure you can find worse than me. That's not why we're fighting. It may be why fans think we're fighting, but we're fighting because I'm the right guy."

"You are the right guy," said St-Pierre.

Diaz then took a shot at a mostly quiet Johny Hendricks, who was also on the conference call. Hendricks was the more legitimate top contender, having beaten Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann via knockout in less than one minute each, as well as beating Josh Koscheck, all in the last 15 months. But Diaz, whose same 15 months was losing a decision to Condit and being suspended for a year for a second marijuana test failure, is right now the best contender for business. Because of this conflict, and how it's been promoted, combined with St-Pierre's proven appeal, UFC 158 figures to do more business than any UFC fight this year unless a St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva or Silva vs. Jon Jones fight takes place.

In a sport where there is such a wide variation in business based on what the fans really want to see, those concerns are usually, like here, the ones that will win out.

"You want to work out with Johny and have a wrestling match?," said Diaz. "That's not what people like to see."

"No it doesn't," said Hendricks, who faces Condit on the same show, once again risking his No. 1 contender position, when asked if this was bothering him. "I don't know if he's watched any of my fights. When have I taken anybody down? I have wrestling. My background is wrestling. But I have knockout power. Just because I don't use it all, you don't have to use it all to win fights. The most important thing is to win fights. If you have to take people down to win fights, then do it. It's all about getting your hand raised. Fans like that. He has his opinion and I have mine. The only thing that matters is everybody wants to be on top. But there can only be one, and we're all fighting to get there."

TheNatural

My Member!
Diaz then took a shot at a mostly quiet Johny Hendricks, who was also on the conference call.

"You want to work out with Johny and have a wrestling match?," said Diaz. "That's not what people like to see."

I thought he was talking about training with Bones when he said this, since they're both Jackson stable guys. I guess this makes more sense though.

The internet sure as shit likes Veronica Mars(or Kristen Bell), huh? I remember seeing a few random episodes of it on the Warner Channel(I think) and they were painfully unfunny. .

It wasn't a comedy so that woukd make sense. It was a detective show done in the vain of Noir. So lot's of secrets, relationships, and over the top drama. A soft soap opera with one specific main character basically

FACE

Banned
It wasn't a comedy so that woukd make sense. It was a detective show done in the vain of Noir. So lot's of secrets, relationships, and over the top drama. A soft soap opera with one specific main character basically

For whatever reason I thought it was a comedy, that changes things quite a bit :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does GSP even train at Jackson's these days?
I think he just does gameplanning stuff

"Alright George..."

round 1
"Jab jab jab, takedown, lay, pray."

round 2

round 3

round 4

round 5

Post fight
"Don't lose those fans. Apologize"

UFC 158 is the last one i'll watch live you guys, most likely.

i'm gonna start working the mornings, which includes Sundays for the most part.

:(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Does GSP even train at Jackson's these days?

I think he just does gameplanning stuff

"Alright George..."

round 1

round 2

round 3

round 4

round 5

Post fight
"Don't lose those fans. Apologize"
Fuckin mark ass tricks, learn what you're talking about. Jackson did not help Georges with this fight because Condit was originally fighting Rory (Jackson vs. Tristar).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You're god damn right, I'm mad. This sports entertainment BULLSHIT has cost us our dear friends. My dudes, WAKE THE FUCK UP!

As far as I know lots of brazilians don't like argetinians for football related reasons.

We actually went to war against Argentina two times in the XIX century. 'Draw' one (which resulted in the creation of the independent State of Uruguay) and won the other.

We almost went to war against them a third time after the Paraguayan war.

In the beginning of the XX century, again we almost went to war. Actually, they had a plan to invade our capital (Rio de Janeiro) at the time, but that was discovered, so it didn't happen.

In the 1970s, again, we were preparing to fight them. It also didn't happen because Pinochet's Chile wanted to go fight them too, so they backed down. One of the reasons they lost the Falkland war is that they were worried Chile would attack them during that war, so they couldn't go "all in" against England.

The line on the GSP/Diaz fight has gotten even worse for Diaz fans ...

Georges St-Pierre (-500) vs. Nick Diaz (+400)

Also, I agree with this but I think its interesting to note that Hendricks is a slight favorite over Condit. I thought that would be a more 'controversial' opinion. I guess not.

Johny Hendricks (-135) vs. Carlos Condit (+155)

FACE

Banned
We actually went to war against Argentina two times in the XIX century. 'Draw' one (which resulted in the creation of the independent State of Uruguay) and won the other.

We almost went to war against them a third time after the Paraguayan war.

In the beginning of the XX century, again we almost went to war. Actually, they had a plan to invade our capital (Rio de Janeiro) at the time, but that was discovered, so it didn't happen.

In the 1970s, again, we were preparing to fight them. It also didn't happen because Pinochet's Chile wanted to go fight them too, so they backed down. One of the reasons they lost the Falkland war is that they were worried Chile would attack them during that war, so they couldn't go "all in" against England.

Oh yeah, the Cisplatine War. Completely forgot about that. However I did not know about the other wars/almost wars, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom