• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you're saying here, and I don't mean to repeat FACE, but the PC's had some fantastic games the past couple of years. Some of them have been the same games as were on a console, but fantasticer.

To me, this seems to be the problem. I don't really care all that much about the graphics as games already look great. I just don't like the content that developers are creating. Games have been way too streamlined this generation.

I would love to hop on the PC band wagon, but I wouldn't just jump in to play better versions of games that suck to begin with. Does the PC even have Bayoetta yet?

And holy fuck at the Kaz thread. Great stuff

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
To me, this seems to be the problem. I don't really care all that much about the graphics as games already look great. I just don't like the content that developers are creating. Games have been way too streamlined this generation.

I would love to hop on the PC band wagon, but I wouldn't just jump in to play better versions of games that suck to begin with. Does the PC even have Bayoetta yet?
Japan is starting to dip their toes into pc gaming see Sega, Capcom, XSEED, Dark Souls franchise.

FACE

Banned

And holy fuck at the Kaz thread. Great stuff

Well...

ibhi5kjYjJStED.JPG

Because midnight east coast time is definitely prime time.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im sort of looking forward to new consoles. They always force PC devs to step their shit up. I cant wait for next get bullshots.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3. Those are last-gen though.

Art direction and design is considerably more pushed and polished on consoles. You got exceptions on PC obviously but they're too far and in between. Whenever a console drops you see an exponential increase in image quality across the board. You look at stuff like Steam and Games for windows and arguably what theyre doing is bringing the no hassle approach of console gaming to pc. The whole fucking with config files seems to be in the process of being phased out for better or worse.

FACE

Banned
Art direction and design is considerably more pushed and polished on consoles. You got exceptions on PC obviously but they're too far and in between. Whenever a console drops you see an exponential increase in image quality across the board. You look at stuff like Steam and Games for windows and arguably what theyre doing is bringing the no hassle approach of console gaming to pc. The whole fucking with config files seems to be in the process of being phased out for better or worse.

That's because most games released nowadays are multiplatform titles. Let's go back to the PC devs statement you've made. If by "PC devs" you meant "people that develop games for PC" then yes, new consoles would make them "step their shit up" simply because games are being developed with more powerful hardware in mind. However, if by PC devs you mean companies like Stardock or Pardox that traditionally release PC exclusives then I do not see how or why new consoles would affect the way they develop their games, aside from plans to release said games on those consoles.

By the way, you went off on a completely unrelated tangent with the art direction and hassle free gaming comments. Also I'd take issue with your statement that GFWL offers a "hassle-free" experience, I'd say it's the exact opposite.

Edit: This is probably the first or second that that I have written a paragraph longer than two lines here on GAF, is that progress?

Heel

Edit: This is probably the first or second that that I have written a paragraph longer than two lines here on GAF, is that progress?

More like regression, friend. Let's not get wordy about a manchild hobby in our sacred thread.

FACE

Banned
Now photoshop a crab on his face.

No one is fighting, by the way, we're having what adults call a discussion(about childish shit).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That's because most games released nowadays are multiplatform titles. Let's go back to the PC devs statement you've made. If by "PC devs" you meant "people that develop games for PC" then yes, new consoles would make them "step their shit up" simply because games are being developed with more powerful hardware in mind. However, if by PC devs you mean companies like Stardock or Pardox that traditionally release PC exclusives then I do not see how or why new consoles would affect the way they develop their games, aside from plans to release said games on those consoles.

By the way, you went off on a completely unrelated tangent with the art direction and hassle free gaming comments. Also I'd take issue with your statement that GFWL offers a "hassle-free" experience, I'd say it's the exact opposite.

Not a tangent at all. All the games you previously listed were games that were driven by great art direction. Since pushing actual visual quality is pretty relative depending on how much money youre blowing on your rig a great chunk of PC games are visually bland as all fuck. Regardles if GFWL worked or not Steam did. Both were obvious attempts at taking away some of the frustrations typically associated with PC games.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I wouldn't say Far Cry or Doom 3 were games driven by great art direction, friend. Specially not Far Cry.

Doom 3 was absolutely driven by a great art direction, so was half life 2..I'll give you far cry because aside from trigens it was obviously a tech demo for textures and draw distance.

FACE

Banned
Doom 3 was absolutely driven by a great art direction, so was half life 2..I'll give you far cry because aside from trigens it was obviously a tech demo for textures and draw distance.

Those games were also far ahead of what the consoles could do technically, having great art direction doesn't negate that.

P.S: I think Doom 3 had a bad art direction, but taste is subjective.

Heel

UFC on FUEL TV 7: Barao vs. McDonald

Date: February 16, 2013 5:00 PM EST
Venue: Wembley Arena
Broadcast: FUEL TV, Facebook

MAIN (FUEL TV, 3 p.m. ET)
Renan Barao vs. Michael McDonald - for interim bantamweight title
Dustin Poirier vs. Cub Swanson
Cyrille Diabate vs. Jimi Manuwa
Gunnar Nelson vs. Jorge Santiago
Ryan Jimmo vs. James Te Huna
Che Mills vs. Matthew Riddle

PRELIMINARY (Facebook, noon ET)
Terry Etim vs. Renee Forte
Danny Castillo vs. Paul Sass
Josh Grispi vs. Andy Ogle
Stanislav Nedkov vs. Tom Watson
Vaughan Lee vs. Motonobu Tezuka
Ulysses Gomez vs. Phil Harris

No sarcasm, top-to-bottom this is an awesome FUEL card.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Those games were also far ahead of what the consoles could do technically, having great art direction doesn't negate that.

P.S: I think Doom 3 had a bad art direction, but taste is subjective.

Creature design was really good. Enpro plant is still to this day one of the best designed sci fi environments. The bosses were also ridiculously well done. But you're right it is subjective.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
You look at stuff like Steam and Games for windows and arguably what theyre doing is bringing the no hassle approach of console gaming to pc. The whole fucking with config files seems to be in the process of being phased out for better or worse.

I'd say if anything this process means that more hackery and fuckery is required to make your games actually look good. Barebones ports with minimal options, no real AA solutions etc... are making lots of people playing on PC turn to injectors and driver configs when before there was no real incentive. On the plus side the surge in popularity has made the whole business a bit less esoteric. Some apps even have GUIs!

EDIT: BSL vs the Tooth? They should just throw it on the undercard. Or show it in the background of a locker room shot.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'd say if anything this process means that more hackery and fuckery is required to make your games actually look good. Barebones ports with minimal options, no real AA solutions etc... are making lots of people playing on PC turn to injectors and driver configs when before there was no real incentive. On the plus side the surge in popularity has made the whole business a bit less esoteric. Some apps even have GUIs!

Yeah thats true but at least theyre going to cut down on the idiots who get custom drivers and dont know what the fuck they're doing when they hardware force AAx8 and get Bsod's whenever they try to play solitare.

caesar

Banned
lol agreed. That Andy Hug axe kick. That '97 Vitor Belfort hand speed.

Haha yup, now he's got too fat and goes on about that conspiracy bs. Also his bro no longer edits the vids. Used to be good to see him riling up the sherdoggers in days of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom