• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

he's 100% right, but that seems to be how the UFC wants it. Look at the boring ass uniforms and entrances. It feels like UFC is deathly afraid of any single fighter becoming bigger than the organization, or putting themselves over somehow.

I actually like that the fighters have uniforms, though I hated the black and white only shorts that they used for the longest time (with the exception of Conor's green ones, because Conor is always an exception). But a lot of fighters lost a lot of sponsorship money, and the UFC didn't do anything to address it. Hell, even Brendan Schaub, a middling fighter, was getting over $100k in sponsorships for certain fights (granted, he's a heavyweight and was on one of the most popular The Ultimate Fighter seasons).

pixelation

he's 100% right, but that seems to be how the UFC wants it. Look at the boring ass uniforms and entrances. It feels like UFC is deathly afraid of any single fighter becoming bigger than the organization, or putting themselves over somehow.

I agree that uniforms help in creating a persona (somewhat), but can you honestly tell me that someone like McG would have not gotten as big had they debuted under this "new" UFC?, did the wardrobe have anything to do with his rise to the top?. It's their own personality that shines through... would not matter it he was wearing a sack of potatoes.

eXtv

Banned
I actually like that the fighters have uniforms, though I hated the black and white only shorts that they used for the longest time (with the exception of Conor's green ones, because Conor is always an exception). But a lot of fighters lost a lot of sponsorship money, and the UFC didn't do anything to address it. Hell, even Brendan Schaub, a middling fighter, was getting over $100k in sponsorships for certain fights (granted, he's a heavyweight and was on one of the most popular The Ultimate Fighter seasons).

The Reebok Deal was the best thing to ever happen to Bellator imo

I'm mixed on Rory words. I don't think sponsors all over your kit necessarily make you standout and some people took that trap too far (ads colored into hair and all that) while still others came in looking like bums...

But more unique entrances would be cool and the banners used to be alright.

The thing I disagree with most people on though is the "personality" arguement, which largely just boils down to shit talking. It really shouldn't be necessary to stand out and the more it becomes common place, the less it will matter.

DMczaf

UFC following in the footsteps of 2010s WWE

Brand is bigger than the sport and athletes is a terrible trend for real and fake combat sports

I agree that uniforms help in creating a persona (somewhat), but can you honestly tell me that someone like McG would have not gotten as big had they debuted under this "new" UFC?, did the wardrobe have anything to do with his rise to the top?. It's their own personality that shines through... would not matter it he was wearing a sack of potatoes.

McG is a generational type guy in this regard though. He would have shone through in any era. The average fighter though could probably make themselves more well known, and in turn, help the UFC do better, if they were allowed to put a little of their own personalities into their fights. I remember a few years ago when some fighter came out in pink speedos and Dana freaked the fuck out, when in reality, that could have been that guy's "schtick". Something that could have made him more well known and at the end of the day, the fighters being more well known is good for the UFC.

eXtv

Banned
Liddell's blue "Iceman" shorts were totally iconic and essential to his image. Same goes for Cro Cop's checkered trunks.

Fox318

There should be a middle ground for disallowing shit like condom depot and trash uniforms with shit ton of sponsors and the corporate boring ads reebok uniforms.

Guys should be able to have 1 or 2 sponsors in the shorts as well as a patch represening their gym.

Catching up on the FB prelims. That awkward pause when Goldie asked Brian if Jeremy "Junior Bacon Cheeseburger" Kennedy will start eating regular bacon cheeseburgers when he's older.

They really shouldn't make anyone besides Rogan work with Goldie.

jay23

I mean... Oliveira was eating Pettis up with the stand up and he is a trash fighter. Can't imagine what Yair would do to him. Pettis should just go to Bellator.

Ehh I think Pettis just gassed himself out going for that first round finish. I still think it was dumb that he decided to stop going for the body kicks and followed Oliveira to the ground.

Even if he would have lost I don't think the UFC cuts him, he's still a big name and the last 3 guys that beat him are all killers RDA(former champ), Alvarez(current champ), and Barboza one of the best strikers in the UFC.

Pettis vs Yair would be a great fight to get Yair more recognition. And I'm hoping his fighting style would bring out the old showtime.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Put Yair against a smart fighter and I think he would get knocked out. Yes, his spinning shit is cool, but he did it 100 times in his last fight. It'd be way too predictable and exploited against an actual legit opponent.

Pettis and Olivera was an amazing Jiu jitsu war. Can't believe all the hate towards Pettis with that. I think he can seriously contend at 145.

VoxPop

Yair is trash. His spinning shit rarely ever hits and he has no power either. I don't think he even finished half his fights. Pettis would eat his liver alive no matter what version of Pettis shows up.

I think a rematch with Jeremy Stephens or a fight with Holloway is the fight to make right now. Yair should just get his shit wrecked by someone like DooHo Choi.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Yair is trash. His spinning shit rarely ever hits and he has no power either. I don't think he even finished half his fights. Pettis would eat his liver alive no matter what version of Pettis shows up.
EXACTLY. Look at the quality of competition Yair has fought too. Pettis gets a lot of flak, but all his recent losses have been to all top 10 guys. Yair's last fight was against Bruce Leroy...

Fight pass people: If you miss seeing the (usually) three fight pass prelims live before the FS1 prelims, how long does it take until they're put up on the archive?

Fox318

UFC posted a preview of the upcoming fight pass main event

https://youtu.be/jT0nPWGl7sI

Seeing Jackson and Wink go over their fighters just reinforced what eddie Alvarez said about them.

They have too many fighters and they don't give enough attention to each fighter. Its great that guys have elite talent to spar with but when they have so many guys to be responsible of how can they give guys the attention they need before fights?

I think Holm's losses and her lack of improvement on the ground speak to that.

Fight pass people: If you miss seeing the (usually) three fight pass prelims live before the FS1 prelims, how long does it take until they're put up on the archive?
In the archive, I don't know, but it's still in Live Events and you can watch it whenever. Sometimes I think I'm watching it live and I'm not.

In the archive, I don't know, but it's still in Live Events and you can watch it whenever. Sometimes I think I'm watching it live and I'm not.

Oh sweet - so if the fight starts at 6:30pm and I miss it I can watch it 9pm? I'm wondering if this is the same for like the Germany fight pass event coming up this weekend. I imagine it'll kick off at like 10am on Saturday here in the eastern time zone and I probably wont get a chance to see it (if I sub to fight pass) until night time.

Oh sweet - so if the fight starts at 6:30pm and I miss it I can watch it 9pm? I'm wondering if this is the same for like the Germany fight pass event coming up this weekend. I imagine it'll kick off at like 10am on Saturday here in the eastern time zone and I probably wont get a chance to see it (if I sub to fight pass) until night time.
Ya, I was watching the Saturday prelims yesterday. I didn't finish and I'm guessing they'll still be there today. Sometimes I fall asleep.

They used to have it so that you could replay individual fights, but now it's just one long video so when I go back to it today I'll have to move it to 3/4 through or wherever I left off.

Weckum

That's amazing and/or horrible.

S57tkDR.jpg

Avatar in case anyone wants one.

I remember from a HDTGM discussion with one of the cast members of a Segal movie from the mid 2000s that Segal scripted almost all of his fight scenes with him sitting in a chair and just moving his hands around.

Fox318

id imagine Keanu would be a 5 to 1 favorite in a fight against Punk.

now this is the fight people want to see.

UFC should have a feak show every year in Japan.

Segal vs Rourke
Punk vs Keanu
Big Nog vs Mighty Mouse
Dave Batista vs Dwayne Johnson
Dana White vs Tito

Chesskid1

Banned
watching cm punk episode 3, have a few questions

1) do WWE fighters get retirement pay or medical care after they retire?

2) what are the betting odds for cm punk's fight and a point of reference? ie gall is as big as a favorite as rousey was in her prime. (i dont follow betting odds at all)

thanks

Top Bottom