• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

The thing is, knowledgeable fight fans already know he's very technically skilled, but he's always going to be plagued with having fought in a weak division. The only fighter that I've seen that been reasonably decent down there is Dodson and Benevides. Everyone else has been disappointing to say the least.

So if there does happen to be some kind of recognition in the future, its going to be far enough in the future that those who start to appreciate him never saw him fight and even then, the fans who know the history will still point out that he's had no real tough comp.

Remember when 155 was a division filled with hungry sharks? 125 was never, ever close to that. Which is why even middle of the road guys at 155 will draw better than MM.

The question here is, "Is the division weak, or is MM just THAT good?" I think the guys he is beating aren't some scrubs. I think MM just makes them look like scrubs.

125 is a weak division but I still do actually think DJ is one of the most skilled fighters technique wise ever in the UFC.

His game is incredibly complete. I wouldn't call him the GOAT due to the competition he is facing not giving us an accurate view of where his skills lineup against a strong division but I have no problem at all considering him one of the most complete fighters in the history of the UFC

broz0rs

I still remember MM's first fight a few years ago, which he blanketed Kid Yamamoto to a UD win. That gave me a bad first impression of him. Now he's probably the most complete fighter we've ever seen.

The question here is, "Is the division weak, or is MM just THAT good?" I think the guys he is beating aren't some scrubs. I think MM just makes them look like scrubs.

It's a, comparatively, weak division. It seems that the amount of MMA fighters at that size is smaller. Most athletes at that size go the boxing route, the grappling route, or a non-combat sport entirely. It's similar to HW in that respect in that people drawn to physical careers in those weight classes are drawn to other sports that are seen as more lucrative or are more culturally relevant to their area of the world.

There's a reason why the middle weight classes are the most competitive/talent heavy, as they're both the most common Height/Weight ranges for men in general and they're not typically pushed towards a more popular or lucrative sport due to their physique alone (exceptionally tall to Basketball, exceptionally tall AND muscular to football, etc...).

But even if we say that that isn't valid or that MMA is popular enough that there are plenty of guys of that size involved in the sport, all you have to do is look at the Non-MM fights in the weight class and judge their performances. There really aren't many stand out fights or exceptional performances. Meanwhile in the 135 to 185 weight classes you have a lot more mid-division great fights whether you're looking at technique, competitiveness, or exceptional performances.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I still remember MM's first fight a few years ago, which he blanketed Kid Yamamoto to a UD win. That gave me a bad first impression of him. Now he's probably the most complete fighter we've ever seen.

Don't forget when he got a BS draw against Uncle Creepy. He was pretty clearly dominated in that fight.

6cdf28afad7eeeca145385e91e9a57bc.png

That's the most gormandized human I've ever seen.

Kelsdesu

Another Mighty Mouse show, another record low in ratings. At what point will the Ultimate accept that Mighty Mouse is, at best, a co-main event guy?

You know what. Fuck it. I'll concede. I guess after he wins his next fight he will have to fight up against Cruz or Cody for anyone to give a shit. Really unfortunate for him.

VoxPop

Rumors floating of Conor vs Woodley @ 213

Not sure what to think lmao

Woodley poses some serious threats with his power and wrestling but has terrible fight IQ/mental toughness. Can't really tell how Conor's power translates at 170 cause he fought a damn Diaz brother. Also has a totally different fighting style/cardio management at 170 compared to 145/155. This fight really isn't necessary though.

I'd rather see the Mayweather fight and a defense against Ferguson before even thinking about going for a third belt.

You know what. Fuck it. I'll concede. I guess after he wins his next fight he will have to fight up against Cruz or Cody for anyone to give a shit. Really unfortunate for him.

I really don't know that he'd even be interested in that. I mean, I haven't seen or heard anything from him that suggests he's interested in more acclaim or even more big money paydays. Everyone assumes that if a person can make more money and it's achievable, they will. However it could be entirely possible that he's comfortable or comfortable enough where he is that he doesn't desire to risk that.

I mean he's the unrivaled champion of his division in the top organization in MMA. He either has or is close to the most title defenses on record in the UFC. He fights about twice a year and doesn't have a ton of pressure to fight more and has had 7 "____ of the Night" performance bonuses in his last 13 fights (and who knows what his locker room bonuses have been). He has time enough in his schedule to supplement his fighting income with whatever he gets from gaming/streaming as well.

He could be entirely comfortable where he is. Moving up means giving up that belt and starting the climb to a belt in a more dangerous division that will likely be more wearing on his body, shortening his career. If he likes where he is, why move? It's the same logic behind why some of the champs in Bellator never consider leaving to the UFC. If they're not hungry for more, why upset the apple cart?

Now obviously, all of this is just supposition and any part or all of it could be completely wrong. I'm just pointing out the possibility that he may not be as disappointed about his position as some of his fans are as, again, I haven't heard or read anything from him saying that he is in some way unhappy.

zewone

Rumors floating of Conor vs Woodley @ 213

Not sure what to think lmao

Woodley poses some serious threats with his power and wrestling but has terrible fight IQ/mental toughness. Can't really tell how Conor's power translates at 170 cause he fought a damn Diaz brother. Also has a totally different fighting style/cardio management at 170 compared to 145/155. This fight really isn't necessary though.

I'd rather see the Mayweather fight and a defense against Ferguson before even thinking about going for a third belt.

Zero chance Conor fights anyone but Floyd next.

I really don't know that he'd even be interested in that. I mean, I haven't seen or heard anything from him that suggests he's interested in more acclaim or even more big money paydays. Everyone assumes that if a person can make more money and it's achievable, they will. However it could be entirely possible that he's comfortable or comfortable enough where he is that he doesn't desire to risk that.

He stated at the end of the fight that he's not coming back for less than $1 million a fight. In the post fight press conference he said if he got to choose who to fight it would be McGregor and he wouldn't even care if he lost, he just wants the money.

Rumors to spread hype for UFC 213 international fight week....thats all

Unless Conor is really that insecure of looking completely embarrassed when he fights Mayweather. He's probably getting lit up by amateurs in training.

He stated at the end of the fight that he's not coming back for less than $1 million a fight. In the post fight press conference he said if he got to choose who to fight it would be McGregor and he wouldn't even care if he lost, he just wants the money.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info.

Chesskid1

Banned
i think champs in general like to fight less. i always remember lots of recent champs askign to go on a break after a win when asked what's next.

no reason to fight every 3 to 4 months to gain rankings when you are already at the top.

VoxPop

You think UFC is entitled to 50% of McGregor's purse for what exactly?

They're not. But without their consent, I don't see this fight happening at all. A 50m payday for Conor is still golden and hopefully he can cut it down to at least 70/30 in his favor.

80/20 split is gossip. Not true.

Conor is such a question mark at this point. If he fights Floyd 2017 he wont fight in the UFC until 2018 I assume. By then he will be stripped of his LW belt and his comeback fight will be for the title (again).

Hes such a great fighter and Ill miss those times where he fought 3 times a year. Good times...

60/20 split is gossip. Not true.

Conor is such a question mark at this point. If he fights Floyd 2017 he wont fight in the UFC until 2018 I assume. By then he will be stripped of his LW belt and his comeback fight will be for the title (again).

Hes such a great fighter and Ill miss those times where he fought 3 times a year. Good times...

When Floyd absolutely makes him look silly he will go back to his regular fight routine.

VoxPop

Conor doesn't even need to win. If he could someone even manage to win a round or get a knockdown, that'll be something else.

Conor won't ever defend his titles. After the Mayweather fight he'll fight Woodley if he's still champ. McGregor has never defended a title his whole career. He won't change that now...

Chesskid1

Banned
Dana told ESPN they are ready to book Jon Jones vs DC on July 29th. Jones can turn it down for a tuneup fight, and DC will fight Manuwa instead.

finally JBJ is back. i'm a huge fan of his fights.

broz0rs

UFC officially offered Jon Jones a title fight vs DC on July 29th. He can turn it down for a tune up fight and DC will fight Manuwa.

finally JBJ is back. i'm a huge fan of his fights.

I read that Jones don't want to come back that early? Looks like Dana is having none of that and is using Manuwa as a bargainning chip to get Jones to sign.

I read that Jones don't want to come back that early? Looks like Dana is having none of that and is using Manuwa as a bargainning chip to get Jones to sign.

The problem is that Dana won't make Jones a headliner in his first fight back, and DC is not down with Bones/DC 2 co-headlining to anyone but Conor.

Chumley

Banned
Conor isn't fighting in 2017, DC will run through Manua and Jones will run through some can, and then they'll main event by September.

It's kind of frustrating since DC gets injured so often and the match should just happen ASAP, but I get where both Dana and DC are coming from.

If DC isn't going to co-main for anyone sans Conor then I hope he enjoys being the main on UFC on Fox for a fight with Manuwa.

Dana talks so much crap and overreacts . Just set up Jones vs DC for main and pay Manuwa to be a backup in case some BS happens.

The girl they bank on to sell their card and already headlined a successful event (Waterson) gets 15k and you got Wilson Reis getting 100k to get sacrificed.

Jonny boy comes back and defeats DC again. He will be stripped again because he punched a bouncer for not letting him in the club for being too drunk. Or elbow..he..he elbows him. lol.

The girl they bank on to sell their card and already headlined a successful event (Waterson) gets 15k and you got Wilson Reis getting 100k to get sacrificed.

Reis fought for a championship. I hope you didnt miss that!

zewone

The desperation at 205 to find title contenders is pretty sad.

All those 185lb guys crying for a title shot need to put some LBs on because the UFC out here giving title shots for beating Corey Anderson.

Cub seems like a really good dude, why you'd root for Artem when he's getting a headline fight just for being McGregor's goon is beyond me.

Chumley

Banned
Why not? Was this said anywhere?

Jones vs DC2 has to happen ASAP. I want none of that DC playing matchmaker nonsense. He tried it with Bader, now with Manuwa. That nonsense has to end.

All signs seem to point to Conor/Floyd happening in September and he's not going to do a UFC fight between now and then. Which means the earliest he'd be ready after Floyd is November, which is doubtful with how much money he'd be making from Floyd.

zewone

If they actually fought Woodley would be leaving the octagon in cuffs.
Cuffin' him to the stretcher so he doesn't fall off on the way to the ambulance?
All signs seem to point to Conor/Floyd happening in September and he's not going to do a UFC fight between now and then. Which means the earliest he'd be ready after Floyd is November, which is doubtful with how much money he'd be making from Floyd.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Conor on the big NYE card.

Egg0

Banned
"What's Jon Jones doing in the Anthem Presents: Impact Zone?!"

Bellator and Impact still doing that weird cross promotion right?

Cub seems like a really good dude, why you'd root for Artem when he's getting a headline fight just for being McGregor's goon is beyond me.

Yeah Artem is a likeable enough guy, but I can't get over the fact that he realistically has no place in a headline fight and is only there cause he's friends with Conor. If it weren't for Conor he would've never made it back into TUF after losing his fight to get into the house

Top Bottom