• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Toncheva survived a deep side choke and a RNC attempt and about 5000 punches on the ground.

I mean, she's 19, but Asakura should have finished.

Saori Ishioka vs. Bestare Kicaj, and there is a ridiculous experience gap between these two.

Edit: and the experience gap showed on the ground with the quick Ishioka finish via RNC.

Cruickshank entering to "Real American." LOL.

Cruickshank would try to come on with such speed and energy, and stepped in to that Wild right cross from Yachi and GKTFO.

Good god!!!

ofeehiE.jpg

I feel like I missed some intricacy of the storyline by not knowing Japanese. Why is Reina fighting her instead of Gabi.

No idea, but there goes the build for Jazzy vs. Gabi.

No, Mauro, I don't think Gabert and Reina were making the same kind of contact in that opening exchange as Frye/Takayama.

I'm surprised that it took that long for Reina to finish Jazzy.

Reina could basically do whatever she wanted: trade standing up, get the full mount and pound, and go for whatever from side control and crucifix.

Chumley

Banned
DJ post-fight presser, missed it earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsE3N0Pya0Q

"All I do is drink beer and play video games"

Also, some reporter says Tim Elliot was his toughest fight but he quickly corrects him: "Jon Dodson dropped me 3 times, Tim Elliot had me in a gullitone for a minute 1/2. I think you'd better check your math, buddy."

Herring's jiggly belly is...not a good sign.

Ishii had better win this, or his career is definitely done.

Is Ishii coming out to music from Chrono Cross?!

VoxPop

Announcer is amazing harmonizing with the entrance music. KING REINA was legit af.

Fuck this worked Ishii/Herring fight tho

Announcer is amazing harmonizing with the entrance music. KING REINA was legit af.

Fuck this worked Ishii/Herring fight tho

Is it sadder if Ishii/Herring is actually a shoot?

Ishii is fighting not to lose even when he was controlling Herring on the ground.

Even Mauro is burying this fight.

Crowd is booing.

The best part of the fight is that it's over.

"It's been an eventful night except for that fight." Mauro bringing the shovels.

It's intermission time, except Mauro just buried the Ishii/Herring fight by calling it part of intermission.

Main card after intermission:

Anthony Birchak vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Amir Aliakbari vs. Geronimo dos Santos
Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Yuki Motoya
Rena Kubota vs. Dora Perjes
Francesco Ghigliotti vs. Tenshin Nasukawa

Not expecting a lot of grappling on the ground between an 18 years old kickboxer turned fighter and a 34 years old kickboxer turned fighter fighting for the first time after 2 months of MMA training.

"Mama Mia!" from Mauro!

Oh my God, Dora's left eye is already swollen.

Rena survived the early takedown and scored huge liver kicks and stomps to the face. The fucking head stomp!

What a fight!

Here's the other fight that I was greatly anticipating: Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Yuki Motoya.

What an escape by Horiguchi!

Motoya keeps going for this flying whatever.

FUCK that was a smooth combination of strikes to the RNC by Horiguchi.

Head stomp past the guard by Horiguchi!

That was a fun fight between Motoya and Horiguchi.

Steroids on a pole fight time for Amir Aliakbari and Geronimo dos Santos.

SteveWD40

How's he a cheat? Tainted supplements, brother.

Bisping needs to stop being a punk and accept a fight with somebody that isn't passed their prime.

Do we have any evidence thst Bisping has ever turned down a fight with anyone? He has been fighting tough guys his whole career, he took Luke on two weeks notice after Luke embarrassed him previously, hate him all you like but he is no coward.

Mike is a company man, he takes the fights he is offered. Did he campaign for Hendo or GSP? Sure, but perhaps he was told by the UFC that this was your next fight and go and make some noise?

No one criticised the legions of MW's who were calling him out pre-title as they saw him as an easy stepping stone with built in media attention.

As for the win over Luke, he saw a flaw and worked it in his favour, could Luke have stayed outside the pocket with kicks? Probably, but there are no asterisks in sports, you win or lose.

Is there anywhere to watch Rizin? I know they put the last one on their FB afterwards.

Great fights all round last night tho. Man DJ is just on another level. Happy for Whittaker too

dream

Another Mighty Mouse show, another record low in ratings. At what point will the Ultimate accept that Mighty Mouse is, at best, a co-main event guy?

The 25th installment of the show did 1.74 million viewers on the overnight ratings, and a 0.6 in the 18-49 demo. It was down 18 percent from last year's April FOX special, that did 2.13 million viewers in the overnight ratings and 0.8 in the key demo, headlined by Glover Teixeira vs. Rashad Evans. Two years ago, the April event, headlined by Luke Rockhold vs. Lyoto Machida did 2.43 million viewers in the overnight ratings and 0.9 in the 18-49 demo.

Dysun

We just had 3 pages of people acting like the UFC is doing MM no favors. The reality is plain to see, no one cares to see him fight no names

Christ, you really are the textbook definition of an annoying message board poster sometimes. You don't have shit to say in discussions past the first point and then come scurrying back later with drive by insults like this.

I don't know what more needs to be said. I know you really want MM to be a household name/draw, but reality doesn't jive with that, and bringing up the facts and realities (such as the fact that he's such a small man works against him in this regard) seems to bother you. "Marketing" isn't just some magical elixir that can make anything or anyone popular. There are a lot of market factors that are working against Mighty Mouse becoming a huge star or draw that you seem to either totally discount, or act like they are slights against Johnson himself.

The mentality that "I like a fighter, therefore everyone does and will pay to see him" couldn't possibly have more evidence to the contrary at this point.

Chumley

Banned
I don't know what more needs to be said. I know you really want MM to be a household name/draw, but reality doesn't jive with that, and bringing up the facts and realities (such as the fact that he's such a small man works against him in this regard) seems to bother you. "Marketing" isn't just some magical elixir that can make anything or anyone popular. There are a lot of market factors that are working against Mighty Mouse becoming a huge star or draw that you seem to either totally discount, or act like they are slights against Johnson himself.

I'm not discounting them, I'm saying the perception around the division can be changed if promoters work on it. Nothing is set in stone. I haven't seen the UFC put MM on Conan, that's one thing off the top of my head that could get more eyes on him.

And regardless of all that, your opinion on this or anything else doesn't excuse posts like "b b b but marketing". Just grow up already and learn how to talk to people without resorting to childish shit.

what's your reaction when people say MM won't be fully appreciated until he retires?

The thing is, knowledgeable fight fans already know he's very technically skilled, but he's always going to be plagued with having fought in a weak division. The only fighter that I've seen that been reasonably decent down there is Dodson and Benevides. Everyone else has been disappointing to say the least.

So if there does happen to be some kind of recognition in the future, its going to be far enough in the future that those who start to appreciate him never saw him fight and even then, the fans who know the history will still point out that he's had no real tough comp.

Remember when 155 was a division filled with hungry sharks? 125 was never, ever close to that. Which is why even middle of the road guys at 155 will draw better than MM.

Top Bottom