• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Having no Aldo really let the steam out of this Saturday's card. Was going to buy the ppv and host a party but now it seams no one is interested in seeing Conor lose to a wrestler, Mendes win an interim belt, or seeing Conor win against anyone who isn't the real champ.

dream

UFC 6 is the real money, Mr. Sandman, with what might be the best tournament in Ultimate history. But you need to get through 5 to fully appreciate the World Superfight Championship match.

Jon Hess v Anderson might just be the best thing I've ever seen. HUGE RIGID bloke just flailing his limbs about wins - that's the power of Scientifically Aggressive Fighting Technology of America.

dream

Andy Anderson was a legend in the early days because he owned a topless steakhouse and would give the fighters free tabs and shit.

VoxPop

CI3ERN4UcAAUW3X.png:large

Weebok did me in.

Andy Anderson was a legend in the early days because he owned a topless steakhouse and would give the fighters free tabs and shit.

He had the face of a 50 year old fisherman on the body of a fighter! That super fight was awful...

I have a new found admiration for Dan Severn now after this UFC, throws himself into kicks for the takedown and doesn't care one bit. I think he's the original Mayor of Suplex City too.

FUME5

He had the face of a 50 year old fisherman on the body of a fighter! That super fight was awful...

I have a new found admiration for Dan Severn now after this UFC, throws himself into kicks for the takedown and doesn't care one bit. I think he's the original Mayor of Suplex City too.

He's basically Mike Hagar.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Watched some Mendes fights today

Conor is gonna get wrestlefucked isn't he?

;(

God willing we're going to see Chad wrestlefuck his way to a 50-40 before throwing up a red hand and using the t-word and f-word in equal amounts during the post-fight interview.

The bonus plan then includes Chad wearing an England or Rangers shirt to the press conference.

Totally!

In a strange way I really like these early UFC events for just letting anyone in, as there's some really interesting characters. Maybe not good fighters, but characters. Most of them just come out swinging too, so for the most part it's like 'wow this is stupid' but really entertaining as they all have their own unique style (certainly compared today where everyone is a lot more rounded and cautious).

Well, today is UFC 6 (and maybe a few more). I see I'm in for a treat with Tank Abbot's debut... the most "athletic" athlete the UFC has ever seen! He reminds me of Mike Foley.
Oh hey it's Michael Buffer!

Tank Abbot holy shit!
Polar Bear bloke with that downward elbow to the back of the head. HOLYSHIT!

This event is insane so far.

dream

I mourn the loss of style vs. style. Big John Hess summed it up nicely a few years ago when he said that everyone has become a clone of Ken Shamrock.

I mourn the loss of style vs. style. Big John Hess summed it up nicely a few years ago when he said that everyone has become a clone of Ken Shamrock.

Yeah fighters do seem way more generic in modern MMA, compared to those early ones. I'm really enjoying watching them, I didn't get into UFC until about UFC40 or so (yes, I'm a mark).

dream

Jose Aldo has struggled with injuries throughout his UFC tenure, but Dana White believes the reigning featherweight champion’s most recent ailment could have been prevented.

The Nova Uniao representative fractured his rib while sparring less than three weeks away from his title defense against Conor McGregor at UFC 189. After some debate over the severity of the injury, Aldo was forced to withdraw from what would likely have been the biggest payday of his career.

“In this case, Aldo was going to make millions of dollars in this fight. This was the biggest fight of his career, financially and every other way. So the guy is hurt, not to mention the fact Andre Pederneiras, his trainer, sent me the video of him getting kicked,” White told the “The Jim Rome Show” on Tuesday. “It’s a spinning heel kick to the ribs. The sparring partner shouldn’t have been throwing at him two weeks before the biggest fight of his life anyway.”

While McGregor publicly expressed his doubts that Aldo was actually unable to fight, White was more diplomatic about the entire situation. However, the UFC boss did reiterate a previous point that fighters should look to scale back their training methods.

“It just goes back to what I’ve been saying about this sport. The Stone Ages and the training has to change,” he said. “If you’re gonna be throwing those type of kicks at the world champion two weeks before the biggest fight of his life, he should at least have rib protectors on or body pads or something so that this doesn’t happen. It’s no good for Andre Pederneiras, it’s definitely not good for Aldo and it’s not good for us or the fans. Nobody wins in this scenario.”

A+ victim blaming right there.

Chesskid1

Banned
decided to check if anything on prelims worth watching

matt brown vs tim means

had no idea lol, should be a pretty good fight

still pretty hyped for this card; if conor is able to put up 2 solid competitive rounds vs mendes i will be really impressed

VoxPop

https://instagram.com/jennareneefit/

Suprised this was actually Browns partner. Even more suprised at the obvious...

955.png

Oh Cristiane...oh boy...

942.png

Chad went from favorite to underdog. Wow...Bookies and the public differ on that one I guess.
Lawler went from dog to a bigger dog (was up +200 at one point).

Anbody see any juice in one of these lines?

Chad is obviously a good bet as a dog. He should definitely be the favorite or at worst even money. But even so, I see Conor coming out of this fight the winner despite everyone being hesitant on his wrestling. The range and footwork might be a little too much for Mendes. Those thigh kicks and Conor's hopping in and out with his counter left straight will keep the takedown at bay imo. That being said, if I'm up on the night in bets, I'll lay down a bit on Chad but wouldn't even be mad if he loses.

The Lawler/MacDonald fight is a toss up for me. While Rory is great and definitely should be the favorite this rematch, he just seems to break down when pressured. And Lawler is the king of pressure. I'm going to put a little bit of money down on Lawler and hope for the best.

That Cyborg line is surprising. I heard something about her opening up at -3500. Haha. Obviously a lock bet as there are even less chances of a fluke due to women having no finishing power. Great to put in as the end of your parlay.

A lot of capable underdogs on this card imo. I can definitely see Stephens beating Bermudez if he can keep it standing. Gunnar also coming back to form against Thatch if he grapples him like Bendo did. Almeida will most likely murder Pickett. John Howard over that scrub Cathal 'Molasses' Pendred. Alex Garcia also always had problems with much taller rangy fighters which is exactly what Swick is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd love for conor to win. he potentially has the tools, but hes just an unknown against a quality grappler.

stephen thompson is heading a card on sunday?

I wanna be a Conor fan but the way UFC is up his ass makes it tough. Being gifted an interim belt to fight for, live music for a walkout, a champ kit already available, a free sports car from the Fertitas, etc.

VoxPop

I wanna be a Conor fan but the way UFC is up his ass makes it tough. Being gifted an interim belt to fight for, live music for a walkout, a champ kit already available, a free sports car from the Fertitas, etc.

I still remember James TeHuna's entrance with the dancers for the Marquardt fight. Then proceeds to get his ass kicked.

That Thompson card is a joke. Why are they even going forth with that, let alone on a Sunday. At least the Karate Hottie debut is in there.

Then we got Mir Duffee 3 days later. Along with Thomson/Ferguson, Holm/Reneau.

Then Bisping/Leites carrying a shitty card 3 days later.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

It's impossible for me to even consider liking Conor.

I feel Irish cultural cringe by proxy just looking at him.

iddqd

I'm betting with some friends and I will take Mendes but I still hope the Connor wins.

Aldo / Mendes 3 is the fight we do not deserve.

Surprised to see Gunnar and Lawler as underdogs, especially Lawler.
Sleepwalker Rory does not seem to have the tools to overcome a granit chin.

Top Bottom