• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

It's impossible for me to even consider liking Conor.

I feel Irish cultural cringe by proxy just looking at him.

You've no idea how real the cultural cringe is when you're Irish. The guy is a national embarrassment. Someone like Neil Seery is a much better ambassador for Irish MMA, but hey Conor spouts some Ali and Rocky quotes so best give him a title shot I guess..

I'd be all about Conor if he was actually entertaining in his antics but I just cannot sanction this buffoonery

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have no feelings toward Connor himself, but I'm hoping Mendes just runs through him. UFC is trying so desperately to pin a belt on him that if it backfires it'll be more entertaining than his title reign ever could be.

Dazzler

You've no idea how real the cultural cringe is when you're Irish. The guy is a national embarrassment. Someone like Neil Seery is a much better ambassador for Irish MMA, but hey Conor spouts some Ali and Rocky quotes so best give him a title shot I guess..

I'd be all about Conor if he was actually entertaining in his antics but I just cannot sanction this buffoonery

I feel like this is an extremely harsh assessment and not at all representative of the view of your average person.

Irish people tend not to like to see other Irish people doing well. We've been a nation of begrudgers for a long, long time, and this seems to be manifesting itself around Conor now.

He's a world class athlete that's on the cusp of becoming the biggest star in his sport. We should be proud of him

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Travis Browne pulled from all media appearances this week after domestic violence allegations
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/travis-browne-accused-of-domestic-violence-on-instagram-070915
“UFC is aware of the social media allegations made against heavyweight Travis Browne. The organization requires all athletes to act in an ethical and responsible manner, as mandated by the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. UFC will not tolerate domestic violence or any other violation of the policy. Every athlete is deserving of due process and this situation, as with any official allegations, will be duly reviewed and thoroughly investigated by an independent party. In light of this news, Travis will not be participating in this week’s UFC International Fight Week activities in Las Vegas.

dream

What I've learned from Connor McGregor is that you Irishmen are fantastic talkers, with pretty good hands, but you can't wrestle worth shit.

I still remember James TeHuna's entrance with the dancers for the Marquardt fight. Then proceeds to get his ass kicked.

That Thompson card is a joke. Why are they even going forth with that, let alone on a Sunday. At least the Karate Hottie debut is in there.

Then we got Mir Duffee 3 days later. Along with Thomson/Ferguson, Holm/Reneau.

Then Bisping/Leites carrying a shitty card 3 days later.
Ohh yeah I remember that. The best walkout I've seen recently in a legit org was Rickels' big dinosaur and cavemen walkout for Bellator a few years ago.

dream

From espn.com

McGregor and the UFC's big bid
He's brash, charismatic and some say unproven. Don't tell that to the UFC, which is betting on Conor McGregor to be the star it needs to vault MMA into the mainstream.

coming up on 15 years of Zuffa ownership and we're still talking about how the sport is on the verge of breaking into the mainstream

I have no feelings toward Connor himself, but I'm hoping Mendes just runs through him. UFC is trying so desperately to pin a belt on him that if it backfires it'll be more entertaining than his title reign ever could be.
If that happens though they'll just feed him Ricardo Lamas and/or Cole Miller and say he was distracted when he fought Mendes but now he's more focused than ever and ready for the title again.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If that happens though they'll just feed him Ricardo Lamas and/or Cole Miller and say he was distracted when he fought Mendes but now he's more focused than ever and ready for the title again.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll get the Sonnen "But he was soooooo close to winning before all of the life was choked out of him" rematch. Or if it's real bad he'll move up a weight class and they'll decide there aren't really any contenders at 155 so he can skip ahead of the line.

alr1ght

fuck travis browne ive always hated his ass. shes also on his mma record on wikipedia

oJyQcWl.png

Dazzler

Mendes coming across as a bit rattled in the pre-fight presser

Making fun of people's accents, making awkward gags. Stink of Poirier off the guy

iddqd

Mendes coming across as a bit rattled in the pre-fight presser

Making fun of people's accents, making awkward gags. Stink of Poirier off the guy

Yeah, a man at the end of his wits is a sad sight to behold.
Wish he was smart enough to at least understand his limitations. He is that kid on the playground that takes a bit too long to form a comeback and then goes overboard to force a laugh.

Just be quiet, think about the double leg and let the more eloquent folk do the shit talking.

From espn.com

coming up on 15 years of Zuffa ownership and we're still talking about how the sport is on the verge of breaking into the mainstream

Kind of interesting is the fact that they're marketing and promoting McGregor as their biggest star, despite being unproven. Elite XC bet the farm on Kimbo and look what happened to them.

And it's strange, one of my biggest complaints about the UFC is their tendency to magnify the organization and its events not its stars. McGregor and Rhousey seem to be the stars they're pushing at the moment. Neither has reached the heights/popularity of Brock Lesnar and GSP. On the flipside, this weekend's event has their highest gate ever.

If Money Mendes has gotten in their and competed against Aldo, I can't see how the betting lines and media are favoring McGregor.

Absolutely enjoyed UFC 6, it was mental. I can't understand how Tank Abbot did reasonably well, the guy must have granite for fists or something.

UFC 7 tonight.

Heel

Chad Mendes is using a classic wrestling tactic, "begging off" to build tension before getting in his offense, escaping the arena with the gold.

Heel

Bellator's fake Goldie, Sean Wheelock, is being replaced by Sean Grande, the radio voice of the Boston Celtics.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Absolutely enjoyed UFC 6, it was mental. I can't understand how Tank Abbot did reasonably well, the guy must have granite for fists or something.

UFC 7 tonight.

There's a real stinker in there somewhere, but the latter half of the single digit UFCs are among my favorites until it gets closer to the Zuffa buyout. Ruas, Taktarov, Severn, Gary Goodridge's terrifying debut. UFC 5-10 had some good times.

There's a real stinker in there somewhere, but the latter half of the single digit UFCs are among my favorites until it gets closer to the Zuffa buyout. Ruas, Taktarov, Severn, Gary Goodridge's terrifying debut. UFC 5-10 had some good times.

Severn, Taktarov & Tank Abbot have been highly entertaining so far for different reasons. Ken Shamrock hasn't entered his insane phase yet and seems like a fairly nice person up to this point. I still need more Kimo.

Also I don't think there's been a UFC without someone from Oklahoma on the show yet, it seems there's a lot of fighters in Tulsa.

alr1ght

Bellator's fake Goldie, Sean Wheelock, is being replaced by Sean Grande, the radio voice of the Boston Celtics.

Now if they would replace real Goldie. Bellator needs to get rid of their tryhard ring announcer too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Severn, Taktarov & Tank Abbot have been highly entertaining so far for different reasons. Ken Shamrock hasn't entered his insane phase yet and seems like a fairly nice person up to this point. I still need more Kimo.

Also I don't think there's been a UFC without someone from Oklahoma on the show yet, it seems there's a lot of fighters in Tulsa.

I actually meant Don Frye when I typed Severn, but he's always welcome as a backup mustache.

Don Frye, of course, being an Oklahoma wrestler.

dream

Sir, you're getting Ken vs. Kimo soon.

I hope you make it into the teens. The shows from the dark ages--some of which were literally held in tents--were really compelling, especially if you use them to chart the rise of wrestling in MMA.

I actually meant Don Frye when I typed Severn, but he's always welcome as a backup mustache.

Don Frye, of course, being an Oklahoma wrestler.

Don Frye, yeah I remember him! The hulked out version of Dan Severn!

Sir, you're getting Ken vs. Kimo soon.

I hope you make it into the teens. The shows from the dark ages--some of which were literally held in tents--were really compelling, especially if you use them to chart the rise of wrestling in MMA.

I vaguely remember seeing Ken v Kimo somewhere at somepoint, but had no idea it was so early into the shows. I'm excited.

I like how everyone is being polite, but there's that one guy in the crowd clapping (politely) at the two guys smashing each others' face in. I love Japan.

dream

I vaguely remember seeing Ken v Kimo somewhere at somepoint, but had no idea it was so early into the shows. I'm excited.

UFC 8, baby, from Puerto Rico, featuring the David vs. Goliath tournament. If memory serves, I think the Ken vs. Kimo fight has a great line from Blatnick: "the mouthpiece is slimy."

Fitts

Damn... Mendes mocking that southern dude's accent was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen at a press conference.

Also, Jake looks like this now:

Dr.Acula

Banned
CI3ERN4UcAAUW3X.png:large

Weebok did me in.

Hoooleeee shit. Thank you for sending me down this wonderful rabbit hole.

That's a legit Toronto Hipster #TorontoPanAmGames2015

"Well to start, I work for a child welfare agency and am also a practicing clinician, so by virtue of my position I feel that I influence people’s attitudes and ideals in an indirect manner. I speak for myself and don’t let the tattoos define who I am professionally. When it comes to client interactions my experience has been that people are somewhat surprised, but more so relieved to see me, as they feel that I’m more approachable and less judgmental. Further to that tattoos can sometimes be a great start for rapport building."

dmfRTqP.jpg

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The only game in town for Cyborg is at 135. At 145 she's just the female version of Drederick Tatum fighting a bunch of Homer Simpsons.

I'm pretty sure that Rousey vs. Cyborg - with another title fight (at 145 or above) as the co-main - would do 1-2 million buys.

Top Bottom