• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Eanan

Don't get this really

"Conor did not wear Reebok (at the Mendes weigh in). He wore something else and behind the scenes they were giving him his Reebok kit. He refused to wear it. They said, 'Hey, you have to wear this.' And McGregor said, 'I'm different, I'm not like those other guys. I'm not wearing it.' So they get out the contract and everything and they tell him, 'You have to do this,' and Conor said 'I'm not doing it.' When the weigh in rolled around he did not wear the Reebok stuff."
http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/26/9...gor-refused-wear-reebok-fight-kit-ufc-189-mma

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
19857812819_326393498e_o.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I agree, Barao should switch camps and see a psychologist. I also think he should stay at 135. I feel his coaches in Brazil are letting him down IMO as I feel Barao has plateaued at Nova Uniao along with Aldo, but seeing how close he is to his coach, I doubt he will leave.

I apply my street-level psychology to look at this from Barao's perspective:

1) Undefeated in almost ten years.
2) Constantly being hyped up as the next big thing.
3) Then being hyped as one of the biggest P4P stars in the world.
4) Having a stylish fighting style that only works when your opponent lets you style on him.
5) Having coaches that no doubt just tell him to fight the same way.
6) Being destroyed for 20+ mins by some guy everyone was saying you'd walk over.
7) Having to watch replays of said destruction and making you think about numbers 1-4 and if they were really legit or not.

All that is a recipe for being legit legit shook. And it's not as if he has a leg break like Anderson to blame it on.

If I were Renan Barao, I'd take a year off fighting. Use that year to visit America, to learn new styles and visit a guy who can help sharpen the mental aspect of the game. Then join Tristar or Jacksons or the Blackzillians.

pixelation

4) Having a stylish fighting style that only works when your opponent lets you style on him.
6) Being destroyed for 20+ mins by some guy everyone was saying you'd walk over.
7) Having to watch replays of said destruction and making you think about numbers 1-4 and if they were really legit or not.

All that is a recipe for being legit legit shook. And it's not as if he has a leg break like Anderson to blame it on.

If I were Renan Barao, I'd take a year off fighting. Use that year to visit America, to learn new styles and visit a guy who can help sharpen the mental aspect of the game. Then join Tristar or Jacksons or the Blackzillians.

I feel Anderson, Aldo and Barao plateaued and are remnants of an old Brazilian guard. The ones who are reluctant to learn English. Surround themselves with mediocre camps and decent/good coaching. And have these great striking styles that work in certain situations to create exciting fights or KOs but when pitted against certain opponents can make for putrid ones (but this can be said for a lot of fighters).

Barao needs to make some decisions for his career longevity. Is he going to stay with NU? Is he going to keep doing the drastic weight cut? Is he going to add new wrinkles to his game? He's a great fighter and easily top three in the division's after Dillashaw and Cruz.

I hope Aldo doesn't lose to McGregor or we're going to hear how Brazilian MMA is dying, yadda, yadda (Werdum and RDA not withstanding).

Fedor will be slower, less powerful, will have less cardio. I fear hes too old to be fighting his way back up to a meaningful belt. A true shame that these russian agents have had such a grip on this guy. All was lost was when he decided to take on a guy that had 40+ lbs on him.

He couldve returned after the Werdum loss by good matchmaking and I still think he would have smoked Werdum if he wasnt rushing to end the fight.

UFC 190 Free Fight: Bethe Correia vs Jessamyn Duke

960.png

Winners: Ronda, Shogun, Struve, Maia. I would take Silva at +160 in Brazil any day of the week! Probably the only legit dog here IMO.
Oh my goodness. Over 1½ rounds +300 Under 1½ rounds -360 for the main event!

Is Bethe able to last at least 7 minutes and 31 seconds ? Oh please...I pray to our savior that she can!

VoxPop

Fedor will be slower, less powerful, will have less cardio. I fear hes too old to be fighting his way back up to a meaningful belt. A true shame that these russian agents have had such a grip on this guy. All was lost was when he decided to take on a guy that had 40+ lbs on him.

He couldve returned after the Werdum loss by good matchmaking and I still think he would have smoked Werdum if he wasnt rushing to end the fight.

UFC 190 Free Fight: Bethe Correia vs Jessamyn Duke

960.png

Winners: Ronda, Shogun, Struve, Maia. I would take Silva at +160 in Brazil any day of the week! Probably the only legit dog here IMO.
Oh my goodness. Over 1½ rounds +300 Under 1½ rounds -360 for the main event!

Is Bethe able to last at least 7 minutes and 31 seconds ? Oh please...I pray to our savior that she can!

Fedor wouldn't have beaten any version of Werdum. Fedor has fought guys 40lbs bigger than him his entire career. Only this one knew how to defend a submission. He then proceeded to get KTFO by a 45 year old who was 40lbs smaller than him.

That over 1 1/2 seems like a decent bet. Ronda promised to punish Bethe for as long as she could. I could see her not going for an early finish. But it's a matter of if Bethe can even survive the beatdown she's going to get. Maybe she'll be beaten into a bloody pulp and show some heart since she is in front of that Brazilian crowd. I hope they start that silly chant of theirs while Bethe is getting punched in the face.

dream

I do not believe Ronda. I think the second she sees an opening, she's going to grab an armbar. She might go Frank Mir 0-100 in 1 second with it though.

It sounds like he's basically the Brazillian version of Miguel Angel Torres.

Ronda dropping some bombs:

I’m gonna beat up Bethe, then I’m gonna take a couple weeks to rest, and then I’m gonna go beat up Miesha, and then I’m gonna go to Thailand or wherever we decide to film,” said Rousey.

"After two Olympics, I’ve been doing this for so long. It’s not like I walked into a gym one day and my boyfriend was a fighter and I decided to give it a try."

“I need these other girls. It’s not like I could do this by myself. I need a dancing partner. The analogy I use a lot is, like, these girls are like plants. Sometimes you can grow a crop and you can harvest it year after year, like Miesha. Sometimes, you harvest it once and it’ll never grow back. I don’t think Bethe will ever come back after this. I think this might be the final season that I can harvest the Tate crop.”

Ronda is huge. I hate to say it but Tate had no chance. I did think she had a chance in their 2nd fight based off their first one but Meisha really needs to keep it on the feet. She's never going to out grapple Honda

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
One more reason to dislike him, i noticed his different attire at the weigh-ins. But didn't catch the dissing of the championship shirt. And yet there will be no repercussions for the golden goose.

dislike him? shit, this earns him respect from me. he has the juice to stand up and dana and co wont do shit lol

Guru-Guru

Banned
Ronda is huge. I hate to say it but Tate had no chance. I did think she had a chance in their 2nd fight based off their first one but Meisha really needs to keep it on the feet. She's never going to out grapple Honda
It was so frustrating in the 2nd fight when Tate would land a couple good strikes, then for whatever reason would immediately transition into grappling...Where of course Ronda would manhandle her and get her down.

Yaari

I still don't get the issue.

If I bad mouthed my company in a interview, I wouldn't expect to have my job the next day.

I like Dana White for sticking to his guns on this. If they just let everyone get away with this, that'd be pretty terrible for their image.

Stitch valued himself too high it seems.

He was asked his opinion, to which he replied he lost a lot of money for losing his sponsorships. I don't see the bad mouthing there. Should you just eat up everything thrown at you? Would you not mention a salary cut if asked?

Dana White can't deal with criticism, he never has been able to. He will respond in an aggressive way trying to get you to shut up. Sadly, this works most of the time because most of the MMA media is scared shitless to lose their credentials and basically become irrelevant for MMA coverage.

Koscheck and White had a contentious relationship for much of his tenure in the UFC, mostly because Koscheck isn't the kind of guy who allows himself to be pushed around. They played nice in public, but privately, Koscheck was subjected to the same angry phone calls others receive whenever they do or say something White considers out of line.

"If I were to say anything bad about Reebok, the first thing that would happen is I would get a phone call. 'You f-----g piece of s--t, what the f--k are you doing? You’re talking s--t about Reebok. We’re gonna fire you.' OK, fire me then," Koscheck said. "I don’t have to worry about those things now. I’m not employed by them. I have no affiliation with them.

Dana White is an asshole. And yes he does stick to his guns, primarily because because he can do it and get away with it. And yes, I do acknowledge the good he did for the sport. Doesn't mean you get a free pass for ridiculous behaviour.

zewone

He was asked his opinion, to which he replied he lost a lot of money for losing his sponsorships. I don't see the bad mouthing there. Should you just eat up everything thrown at you? Would you not mention a salary cut if asked?

Dana White can't deal with criticism, he never has been able to. He will respond in an aggressive way trying to get you to shut up. Sadly, this works most of the time because most of the MMA media is scared shitless to lose their credentials and basically become irrelevant for MMA coverage.

Dana White is an asshole. And yes he does stick to his guns, primarily because because he can do it and get away with it. And yes, I do acknowledge the good he did for the sport. Doesn't mean you get a free pass for ridiculous behaviour.
If has a history of doing this, and I'm sure there's a clause in his contract for such things, he should have declined to comment. No one forced him to do this interview.

I'm guessing he thought it would help him get paid, but it backfired. Lesson learned.

I'm in the camp that thinks the Reebok deal is fine. Most major sports don't allow you to sell space on your uniform. How ridiculous would multiple sponsors look on an NBA or NFL jersey? It's helping legitimizing the sport in the mainstream. How much money do the players in those sports get paid to wear Nike/Adidas? I'm guessing $0 if they don't have an exclusive contract with the brand.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You really want to compare salaries?

The difference between the UFC and "real sports" is those real sports have checks and balances in what management can and can't do, due players' unions.

zewone

You really want to compare salaries?

The difference between the UFC and "real sports" is those real sports have checks and balances in what management can and can't do, due players' unions.

And how much more money is the NBA/NFL making? They can afford that. Plus, those are privately owned teams that have bank rolls that pay those players.

Dana White and co. are doing their best to make the UFC once of these sports.

dem

Other sports pay their athletes a large percentage of their revenue.. like 40-50%...

The UFC pays their guys less than 20%

The fighters are definitely getting screwed. The UFC and Dana were good for the sport at one point... but its turning bad fast. Dana is a serious dickhead.

Top Bottom