• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Both of you make solid points which just goes to show how half ass UFCs attempt really is.

They pick and choose how to be a real sport.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They're making enough to pay their fighters more than 10+10 and taking away all of their secondary earning power. Dana owns what, less than 10% of the UFC and he's worth $350 million. Lorenzo is worth $1B.

I don't think the Reebok deal was done as a greed play by the UFC. Simply it's more of Dana's "We need to make this a sport" line of thinking. Reebok is the one getting the greater end of the deal here.

They're doing a bang up job ruining their brand. It's time for Dana to step aside.

Yeah, it's probably why Brock remained in the WWE. He makes a lot of money for limited appearances, gets sponsorship $$$ from Jimmy Johns and a cut of related merchandising.

But I feel like both organizations are shady. They're "Independent" contractors but not. Both are in need of unions.

zewone

They're making enough to pay their fighters more than 10+10 and taking away all of their secondary earning power. Dana owns what, less than 10% of the UFC and he's worth $350 million. Lorenzo is worth $1B.

I don't think the Reebok deal was done as a greed play by the UFC. Simply it's more of Dana's "We need to make this a sport" line of thinking. Reebok is the one getting the greater end of the deal here.

They're doing a bang up job ruining their brand. It's time for Dana to step aside.

18 billionaires among the NFL’s 31 owners (the Green Bay Packers are owned by public shareholders), far more than any other U.S. sports league.

And those billionaires only have how many players on their roster, compared to how many UFC fighters on the roster? It's apples to oranges really.

Reebok is making the best on this, but I think the UFC is just doing this to get their foot in the door. I'm sure they have larger aspirations, such as Nike or Adidas.

It's far from perfect, but I think they have been overly criticized for this change. People are looking at the short term while the company is looking long term. It's growing pains.

Heel

It's far from perfect, but I think they have been overly criticized for this change. People are looking at the short term while the company is looking long term. It's growing pains.

Maybe a decade down the road the money will be good, but none of them will be around. They have every right to complain when they're the ones taking the lumps. Last I checked UFC is still taking sponsors.

zewone

Maybe a decade down the road the money will be good, but none of them will be around. They have every right to complain when they're the ones taking the lumps. Last I checked UFC is still taking sponsors.

Sure, and they still have it better than the true pioneers from 10-15 years prior.

It's a process.

Zewone uppins. Do you still have that banksy?

I'm a big fan of the Fram cam.

Sure, and they still have it better than the true pioneers from 10-15 years prior.

It's a process.

This. The "sport" is around two decades old, so there's definitely a lot of maturing to do.

The fighters can get sponsorships outside of the cage. And nothing is preventing them from pursuing other interests like Josh Barnett and NJPW, Rhonda Rhousey with movies, WWE, etc.

I was listening to last week's MMA Hour and they brought up UFC bumping heads with AKA a few years ago.

And how much more money is the NBA/NFL making? They can afford that. Plus, those are privately owned teams that have bank rolls that pay those players.

Dana White and co. are doing their best to make the UFC once of these sports.

It's a process.

Uniforms make sense for a team sport.. Not a 1 on 1 combat sport. And with the UFC contracting so many fighters, the old arrangement makes more sense as the UFC just pays what they pay and the fighters can make their living with outside sponsors.

This just limits what the fighters make while putting extra cash in the UFCs pocket.

"Uniforms" don't legitmize a damn thing. Just makes the fighters look even more homogeneous at press events and gives them a colored stripe to differentiate in the cage... Which can be done more clearly by just using blue and red gloves. It's a trash deal no matter which way you slice it unless you're a Fertita or Dana.

Uniforms make sense for a team sport.. Not a 1 on 1 combat sport. And with the UFC contracting so many fighters, the old arrangement makes more sense as the UFC just pays what they pay and the fighters can make their living with outside sponsors.

This just limits what the fighters make while putting extra cash in the UFCs pocket.

"Uniforms" don't legitmize a damn thing. Just makes the fighters look even more homogeneous at press events and gives them a colored stripe to differentiate in the cage... Which can be done more clearly by just using blue and red gloves. It's a trash deal ni matter which way you slice it unless you're a Fertita or Dana.

Aside from how fucked up it is from a financial standpoint, it makes no sense for combat sports, where there are no teams or tradition for people to latch on to and remain fans of. Why would you want your fighters to all look the same?

zewone

"Uniforms" don't legitmize a damn thing. Just makes the fighters look even more homogeneous at press events and gives them a colored stripe to differentiate in the cage... Which can be done more clearly by just using blue and red gloves. It's a trash deal no matter which way you slice it unless you're a Fertita or Dana.

From what I read, UFC isn't really making anything off the Reebok deal. A majority of it goes to the fighters, it's just that Reebok has favorable terms and got a blanket deal for every fighter for relatively cheap.

I mean, I think it's hard for a casual fan to take the sport serious with condom advertisements on a fighter's ass.

vlmBEeE.jpg

I don't like the Reebok designs myself. They look very amateur, at least on the shirts.

alr1ght

Aside from how fucked up it is from a financial standpoint, it makes no sense for combat sports, where there are no teams or tradition for people to latch on to and remain fans of. Why would you want your fighters to all look the same?
Owr8Wib.jpg

That and they're just hilariously ugly. Fighter A wearing Black with white stripe vs Fighter B wearing white with black stripe.

From what I read, UFC isn't really making anything off the Reebok deal. A majority of it goes to the fighters, it's just that Reebok has favorable terms and got a blanket deal for every fighter for relatively cheap.

I mean, I think it's hard for a casual fan to take the sport serious with condom advertisements on a fighter's ass.

vlmBEeE.jpg

I don't like the Reebok designs myself. They look very amateur, at least on the shirts.

I think the type of fan that is into MMA doesn't care. Hell I bet a lot of that demographics are the type to wear Monster energy drink hats and fighter walkout shirts, so it's not like the concept of sponsors is foreign to them. I think this is a case of UFC overreaching for their audience. They still seem convinced they can grab the casual sports fan but outside of a blip here and there, that's not going to happen, and having Reebok "uniforms" certainly isn't going to help that case. Its still human cockfighting to most of them, no mater how classy you try and dress it up.

zewone

Condom Depot vs. black stripe.

I don't know which is the bigger offender.

How long is the Reebook deal for? Maybe it will blow up in their faces and go back to how it was.

alr1ght

Condom Depot vs. black stripe.

I don't know which is the bigger offender.

How long is the Reebook deal for? Maybe it will blow up in their faces and go back to how it was.

No more Chuck Liddel Iceman shorts, no more AS bumble bee trunks, no Croatian flag for CroCop. Having everyone looking the same (even opponents) is terrible in a "sport" like MMA. Just look how Connor made himself famous with his mouth, all due to being an individual.

zewone

No more Chuck Liddel Iceman shorts, no more AS bumble bee trunks, no Croatian flag for CroCop. Having everyone looking the same (even opponents) is terrible in a "sport" like MMA. Just look how Connor made himself famous with his mouth, all due to being an individual.

BJ Penn black belt shorts will always be my favorite.

I love the personalities and individualism, but the UFC is a business that's still looking to grow. I find it hard to fault them. They're the businessmen, not me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until it was a proven failure.

dem

Connor definitely knows the fight kit is stupid.

usa-today-8688448.0.jpg

wjmgSm.0.0.gif

Dana begging Connor to put the champion shirt on at the end of the fight was hilarious.

For whatever reason.. the UFC is allergic to personality.. even though their biggest ppv's are always sold on personality/individuals with flare. Not these cookie cutter fighters.

Yaari

Yeah that's my biggest gripe. I remember how they were talking about individuality and unique kits. All they get is a dumb country logo and their name on it. Both of which are gone during the actual fight.

And then they look ugly and generic. And I have problems putting them apart. You should never have 2 people fight in both White/Black shorts. What a mess.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
BJ Penn black belt shorts will always be my favorite.

I love the personalities and individualism, but the UFC is a business that's still looking to grow. I find it hard to fault them. They're the businessmen, not me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until it was a proven failure.

K6EW7w2.png

Let's not say things we can't take back.

I really doubt that the UFC isn't making the lionshare on this deal, especially considering the payout structure but that isn't even the main issue.

Reebok's total payout for UFC on Fox 16 is being reported at $213,000 for the whole event. Dillashaw tops out the payment at $40k while the co-main event winner, Misha Tate, got a paltry $5k from Reebok.

Meanwhile Brendan Schaub claims he was making over $100k per fight from sponsors before this deal. 2-4 in his last 6 fights, legitimately and caringly told by Joe Rogan to hang up his gloves, Brendan Schaub making 100k from sponsors. So you can imagine what the other talent was making. Even if Schaub was inflating his numbers... many other fighters have said this is cutting their money in a major way. No excuse for this junk.

And if there was anything that was preventing a casual fan from taking the sport seriously, it was not the advertisements. Guys are in there getting their noses smashed to bits and bleeding all over the canvas and it's the advertisment about a place to get condoms for safe sex that's going to offend a casuals sensibilities? I'm not buying that for a second.

The whole deal is completely unnecessary. Just institute a big fine for anyone with inappropriate attire. Done and done.

VoxPop

This is how you know you've lost your goddamn mind. Connor's silver tongue has you whipped into a frenzy.

zewone said:
I hope you at least got the Conor champion kit. lol

I did get the champion kit but it wont arrive for a while. My girl is enjoying her fancy garbage bag though and its great for the gym.

JDS/Reem and Pettis/Diaz rumored for UFC on FOX 17

JDS/Werdum 2 is in our sights!

The key question is can a fighter turn himself into a brand. Can one guy garner so much interest that not only profits Zuffa but himself as well.

Either you talk yourself into a draw (Sonnen), fight yourself into a draw (Jones, Rumble, GSP, Liddell etc.) or you do both (Ortiz, McGregor, Ken Shamrock) and only those got big MMA money at their respective times.

The average joes, journeymans and bums are the ones that profit the least and they were always the loudest critics. You dont necessarily help the company just by showing up and fight which is the saddest part.

VoxPop

The key question is can a fighter turn himself into a brand. Can one guy garner so much interest that not only profits Zuffa but himself as well.

Either you talk yourself into a draw (Sonnen), fight yourself into a draw (Jones, Rumble, GSP, Liddell etc.) or you do both (Ortiz, McGregor, Ken Shamrock) and only those got big MMA money at their respective times.

The average joes, journeymans and bums are the ones that profit the least and they were always the loudest critics. You dont necessarily help the company just by showing up and fight which is the saddest part.

None of those guys are a big enough draw without the UFC. You're going to need someone truly special and dominant to come and transcend MMA as a whole. Someone who is without a doubt the best (Ronda/Bones) and has the charisma (McGregor/Sonnen) to just say fuck you and go out on their own. Unfortunately the UFC knows this and they are the most well taken care of. I really don't care enough about the journeymen and bums to say they deserve a pay raise because they obviously don't. The majority of the guys getting paid 10k/10k deserve just that. The champions clause really has a stranglehold on the elite though. Once these guys lose, the UFC will throw them in the backburner and market a new star. The UFC has a perfect system in place to keep them safe from situations like that. Boxing had it right. Sort of.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The only way Reem will ever regain any sense of legitimacy is if he beats JDS. I could see him getting an instant title shot if he wins. Who's ready for Werdum/Reem 3 folks?
Werdum wins by KO in the first.

I don't know how reliable he is but according to Paul Gift of mma analytics, UFC is suing Wanderlei in Nevada court for "intentional misconduct". It doesn't say why but I guess for making the fixed fight accusations?

Guru-Guru

Banned
I don't know how reliable he is but according to Paul Gift of mma analytics, UFC is suing Wanderlei in Nevada court for "intentional misconduct". It doesn't say why but I guess for making the fixed fight accusations?
Well, we can look forward to more ridiculous Wanderlei Youtube videos, that make less and less sense.

MjFrancis

The only way Reem will ever regain any sense of legitimacy is if he beats JDS. I could see him getting an instant title shot if he wins. Who's ready for Werdum/Reem 3 folks?
Werdum wins by KO in the first.
Overeem needs this fight with Junior Dos Santos to happen. At his age this is truly his final opportunity to earn a title shot. Hopefully this Twitter call out amounts to something.

Overeem may have been a veritable glass cannon for a long time, but without the PEDs and since his knockout losses he's been a lot more cautious and we haven't really seen him take any chances like he would have back in 2012. Overeem isn't the beast he was back then and I don't think he can stand with JDS for five rounds like Stipe just did. I'm not even sure he could have done that back in 2012. If he wins a fight with JDS I'd wager that it would take nothing short of a RD1 KO and that doesn't sound like a Greg Jackson plan to me.

By any chance is anyone here a UFC Fight Club member? I'm looking to get that pre-sale code to get my UFC 192 tickets. Would greatly appreciate it.

Top Bottom