• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF presents UFC 150 |OT| Henderson vs. Edgar: Once in a lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellen

Nate-Diaz_display_image.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
Seemed pretty clear to me that Bendo was gun shy from Frank's counter game. Such a technical fight, friends.

It was a very technical fight.
I really enjoyed it and it was def one of the closest title fights that I can remember in recent times.

Diaz is prob gonna lose, but what I really wanna see is the Henderson vs Pettis rematch. Fingers crossed it happens sometime soon.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This is what happens when you fight to win on points, shit happens. Deal with it tiny, now go get murdered by Jose Aldo.

Henderson is yet to finish anyone in 5 UFC fights. Just saying...

(not that Frankie is a finishing machine)

Alchemy

Oh yeah, not defending Benson either. Close fights like that are pretty much a toss up when decision time comes, you can't really complain if that is your strategy.

Hunter S.

Lightweights have less of knockout punches to begin with much of the time.
Still will all the supposed parity in the weight class things might not be changing any time soon.

charsace

Glad Edgar lost even though it was close he is so boring as a fighter and with his personality. The first fight he was a whiny bitch when Henderson clearly won.

Edgar isn't boring. He's always looking to engage. He always looks to finish. A lot of the times that he gets caught its because he sees an opening and gets reckless, diving in for a finish.

LaMeRz

I had rounds 2, 4, and 5 for Edgar. I wonder if Bendo's showtime kick from the ground (did no damage) stole the 4th.

Diaz v Bendo will be interesting though. I give Nate the edge in striking and ground..especially if Frankie just outwrestled Henderson.

Hunter S.

Edgar isn't boring. He's always looking to engage. He always looks to finish. A lot of the times that he gets caught its because he sees an opening and gets reckless, diving in for a finish.

Well truthfully I stopped watching the light weight championship matches after BJ lost it to Edgar. Only watched again because he won so much. I was never impressed. I prefer BJ at the top of his game for entertainment value by far.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Edgar should fight Alvarez after his last match in Bellator. It would be a nice matchup and a nice win for him. I'd prefer to see him fight Aldo but that doesn't seem like it will happen.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well truthfully I stopped watching the light weight championship matches after BJ lost it to Edgar. Only watched again because he won so much. I was never impressed. I prefer BJ at the top of his game for entertainment value by far.

well you missed two FOTYs with Maynard.

ShaneB

Just finished watching. Prelims were fantastic. Main card was decent, Lawrence/Holloway fight was great, Cerrone's comeback was terrific, and the main event..... well dang. I was set to give it to Edgar. Oh well, Benson vs Diaz should be a great fight.

Norml

If you're wondering what the brouhaha was during the presser, I'm told Frankie's mgr @alidominance and Bendo's mgr @malkikawa got into a scuffle. Not sure who won, but I'm told it was the opposite of the main event, if you catch my drift. For whatever it's worth, Ali and his team say he punched Malki in the face. It seems like they didn't like what he had to say after the main event, although, I'm not quite sure what was said.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/iq0fgq

haha

EYEL1NER

The fight was pretty even. Watching it earlier, Frankie was definitely pushing the pace but he wasn't really doing much. Then again neither was Bendo.
I went into it rooting for Bendo, thought Edgar was going to get it, and then was surprised when he didn't. But it didn't upset me or anything and I hope I don't have to sit through a third fight ever.

Overall I thought it was a shitty PPV. I didn't pay much attention to it since my buddy and I had two other people over and we were talking and stuff.
I kinda feel bad for my buddy a bit though. He usually fully pays for the events so he doesn't get much out me watching them (if I hadn't been unemployed since Jan I would definitely kick in though). I imagine he would prefer to watch them with me than by himself. But I'm leaving soon for the Arctic Circle and he won't have anyone to watch with. Maybe his fiancée when she gets to the country but doubtful. And he is going to have to keep paying for fights whereas I will be able to see them all for free on Armed Forces Network.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yeah, that went as expected more or less (thought Edgar would win a split decision). Not sure about whether it was the right one, since the "technicality" of the fight kinda bored me. Just glad that we won't have to sit though a third close decision fight...

Shields didn't disappoint, in that he dominated and couldn't finish. Not sure what Herman was thinking...

Guillard vs Cerrone went as expected, awesomely so.

I also don't get why people say Bendo is a huge LW. He seems pretty average size in that division being only 5'8. The guys that were on TUF last season, they were huge LW's at 5'11 6'0 tall.

Nameless

I really tried to like Benson "juuuuuust enough to win" Henderson, but I can't. Don't like that smug ass look he has molded on his face, don't like his cherry picking style of fighting, don't like how much he leaves in the cage every time out. Now I'm not saying a fighter has to end every fight with a fatality move of some sort, but god damn. GSP is the perfect example; he might not finish his adversaries too often but he regularly destroys them and leaves no room for doubt.

Soon the LW Division will get the champion it deserves

nate-diaz-blocked.jpg

a champion we can believe in.

MjFrancis

Saying he had a lot more to leave in the cage is really fitting. Either fighter could have dragged that spectacle on for another five rounds Saturday night. It would have took as long for either of them to keep the fight from going to a decision.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just got around to watching this on Star Sports 11pm showing. Man, that was a weird experience. They overdub Goldie & Rogan's commentary with Taiwanese commentators but suddenly they decided to have a phonecall with a Zuffa exec halfway through the event. So I could hear the original commentary in English, an American exec and Taiwanese guy conversing in English whilst a guy translated it into Mandarin. Hell during the final fight the phonecall descended from "yes we see the Asia region as a key market for our product" vanilla-business-speak into the most boring commentary ever seen such as "yes, that's rather effective choking. These guys are nice in real life though."

Anyways, Henderson had the chance to show off to the world tonight what he's made of. But to borrow the words of another boring point fighter: I wasn't impressed by his performance. Edgar proved tonight that despite the wishes of the UFC to have more than one competent fighter at featherweight he can still hang with the "big boys" (so to speak) of the lightweight division. I would not count out at all on Edgar coming back to reclaim his title, but I'm pretty sure now that Dana will force him to 145.

Buddy Roberts loss is probably the most embarrassing loss in my recent memory of a main card fight. Losing by a TKO without any semblance of damage is quite pathetic.

And Nate Diaz is going to tear Henderson to pieces.

I also don't get why people say Bendo is a huge LW. He seems pretty average size in that division being only 5'8. The guys that were on TUF last season, they were huge LW's at 5'11 6'0 tall.

Both Diaz and Cerrone are 6'0". Bendo looks relatively huge because he's able to pack a lot more muscle on him than the taller guys who just look skinny/drained.

MjFrancis

Buddy Roberts loss is probably the most embarrassing loss in my recent memory of a main card fight. Losing by a TKO without any semblance of damage is quite pathetic.
It's hard to argue that point. He simply gave up, and with that poor performance he likely gave up his UFC meal ticket. The UFC would be insane to keep a guy on after pulling that crap.

industrian

It's hard to argue that point. He simply gave up, and with that poor performance he likely gave up his UFC meal ticket. The UFC would be insane to keep a guy on after pulling that crap.

His mistake was taking the fight in the first place.

He would have put up a decent enough fight against his original opponent Chris Canozzi, but against a top ten opponent like Okami? He had jobber writter all over him. It didn't help that his name is ripped straight from the old WWF Superstars shows.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Judges should just rule fights "No-contest" when neither guy does any substantial damage.

No... they should hand out brick bats and chainsaws.

"Are you not entertained?"
"No... not really."

You know what, Frankie? If you'd really fought your heart out for 25 minutes, you wouldn't have the energy to throw a fucking tantrum like that.

Hex

Banned
If Sonnen stays at 185, I want to see them give him Shields so that Sonnen can teach him how to wrestle hump like a man.
It was embarrassing.
As for the main event, I had it either way with an honest tiny edge to Edgar for the takedowns but he did not do anything with them and on the other hand Henderson had more strikes though again they did nothing really.
It would be nice if this meant that judges were stopping the bit where they would score takedowns over everything no matter what happened after they were down.
Whole thing came off like an exhibition match where both were scared to go all out.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
If Sonnen stays at 185, I want to see them give him Shields so that Sonnen can teach him how to wrestle hump like a man.
It was embarrassing.
As for the main event, I had it either way with an honest tiny edge to Edgar for the takedowns but he did not do anything with them and on the other hand Henderson had more strikes though again they did nothing really.
It would be nice if this meant that judges were stopping the bit where they would score takedowns over everything no matter what happened after they were down.
Whole thing came off like an exhibition match where both were scared to go all out.

Because Sonnen is known for his vicious fight-ending gnp?

No... they should hand out brick bats and chainsaws.

"Are you not entertained?"
"No... not really."

or they can rule fights no-contest or at least DRAW more often so that fighters can start to get it through their head that they can't just go in with a "I'm going to try and push him against the fence and hold him there for 15 minutes because otherwise he's going to try and get me down and lay on me for 15 minutes" game plans like the Herman/Shields fight. No fighter should have come out of that fight able to pad their resume with a W.

agrajag

Banned
I'm sorry, but the whole "Edgar should move down to 145" is retarded. Why? Because he only lost to one guy two times? A guy who couldn't finish him, who just barely coasted by two controversial decisions? I would understand that rationale at least a little bit if Bendo absolutely demolished him in both fights and it was clear that Edgar's prospects in the LW division don't look too promising... but that is nowhere near the case. What does this logic say about all the guys that Edgar beat? Should BJ and Maynard move down to 145 too?

Heel

If Frank wants to stay at 155 he can head to Strikeforce and have Gil put that two piece on him for 25 minutes.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm sorry, but the whole "Edgar should move down to 145" is retarded. Why? Because he only lost to one guy two times? A guy who couldn't finish him, who just barely coasted by two controversial decisions? I would understand that rationale at least a little bit if Bendo absolutely demolished him in both fights and it was clear that Edgar's prospects in the LW division don't look too promising... but that is nowhere near the case. What does this logic say about all the guys that Edgar beat? Should BJ and Maynard move down to 145 too?

The argument that Frankie should move down to 145 is also kind of disrespectful to Henderson if you think about it.
It implies that Edgar is too small for his weight division and therefore Henderson only beat him because he is bigger/taller than Edgar. If Edgar was 3 inches taller and approx 170 lb when he walked into the cage would he have fucked Henderson up?
There's no doubt that Henderson looked significantly bigger than Edgar on fight night. He also has a much larger reach than Edgar which should have helped a lot with the striking.

industrian

The entire "Edgar should move down to 145" idea is the will of the UFC itself. Nothing more. Simply because Jose Aldo is the only competent fighter at that weight class and Edgar is both a big name and as the smallest lightweight (5'6") should be able to make the easiest cut.

Edgar has proven himself more than capable of fighting at lightweight. It's not as if he was ragdolled by Henderson or is getting consistently KO'd or subbed or anything. But I see Dana stirring the pot a bit and telling Edgar that he can fight immediately for No. 1 contender status at 145 or go to the back of the line at 155. I'd like to see him stay at 155 just to prove his detractors wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom