• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

GDR is really the one robbed, imo. That chin was gonna keep getting smashed but now she has to deal with "early stoppage" cloud over her victory.

Just my opinion.

Ladd was absolutely stunned there but clearly not out. The way she dropped looked bad at first second but Herb acted too fast. Bad stoppage. I don't think the end result would have been different, though.

In fairness to GDR, that shot was beautiful and landed RIGHT on the button, and Ladd did drop fast.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
GDR is really the one robbed, imo. That chin was gonna keep getting smashed but now she has to deal with "early stoppage" cloud over her victory.

Just my opinion.

Ladd was absolutely stunned there but clearly not out. The way she dropped looked bad at first second but Herb acted too fast. Bad stoppage. I don't think the end result would have been different, though.

In fairness to GDR, that shot was beautiful and landed RIGHT on the button, and Ladd did drop fast.
You know why it might not be considered a bad stoppage? Ladd had a terrible weight cut where she could barely stand. This stoppage might be for the best for her health. Just playing devil’s advocate.

You know why it might not be considered a bad stoppage? Ladd had a terrible weight cut where she could barely stand. This stoppage might be for the best for her health. Just playing devil’s advocate.

I didn't see the weigh-in's for this one, I didn't know that.

I do remember either her previous fight, or the one before that one, where she made weight and looked like she was about to pass out for a split second while posing for pics. They asked her to stand back up on the scale for pics and she literally said "no thanks." Looked bad.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I didn't see the weigh-in's for this one, I didn't know that.

I do remember either her previous fight, or the one before that one, where she made weight and looked like she was about to pass out for a split second while posing for pics. They asked her to stand back up on the scale for pics and she literally said "no thanks." Looked bad.
She had a similar experience for this weight cut. Literally shaking. Source

Ornlu

Banned
She had a similar experience for this weight cut. Literally shaking. Source
Then she probably needs to get out of the sport. She looked very soft at fight time for having cut weight. Until they start using urinalysis weigh-ins, then people with trouble cutting weight are kind of SOL.

But that stoppage was BS.

Last edited:
I agree with GDR, she basically says “I understand it may have looked early but I believe I absolutely rocked her and had Herb not stepped in I would have finished her shortly after.”

I think she’s right (as I stated on the fight night).

I’m honestly not sure how I feel about Cejudo - Faber. At first I was like “uh no way” but I’m warming to it.

Another win for Ryan Hall. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight a little more often. Feel like it's been forever since he won TUF

Ryan Hall is the man! He is one of my favorites.

ryan-hall-tuf-22.jpg

He is a technical grappling prodigy and does this super inventive and insane 50/50. But that sort of grappling game is so specific to Jiu-Jitsu. It relies on winning on a points system and looks insane in practice:

FlippantVacantCalf-size_restricted.gif
ASF8sf.gif
d8APucp.gif

Imanari roll... Your tendons snap from foot lock before you even feel the pain. Besides Rousimar Palhares I don't know if we have seen a more frightening heel hooker in the UFC in a very long time. It will always be a the big test for any fighter coming from another discipline to apply their game in a MMA bout. BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai. They all have rulesets and moves that revolve around that particular ruleset. So in a MM bout, that is very impressive when a fighter can take their game and apply it to MMA context.

When Ryan Hall is stuck in that 50/50 guard shit in a grappling tournament, he doesnt have to worry about punches or kicks or slams. Its all illegal, so he can be inverted all day and just turn people into yo mammas spaghetti.

Ryan Hall is not fighting often, but one can hope that his coaches are making sure that he is learning striking. We have had way to many world champion grapplers, just get thrown into fights they couldnt handle. 2 years of striking is not going to make you ready. You are up against people at this level who have 10+ years of striking experience. So you have to be an exceptional quick learner or this unconvential freak like Bones to really be able to hang. Halls striking will never be great, but it might get so good that it will be impressive coming from someone like him- a dedicated grappler.

The vice versa is true for dedicated strikers who pick up grappling very late. I love all of this. MMA is such a beautiful drama between styles, jack-of-all-trades and picking and choosing your focus.

DKehoe

Not to pick on Tito too much since my last post was also about him but apparently Tito thinks Sakuraba is dead.

Top Bottom