• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream

sazabirules said:
Rory got hurt so Ebertroll can't embarass him anymore. I haven't even heard of his replacement Claude Patrick.. I was looking forward to the fight.

Aren't you Canadian?

Ninja Scooter said:
I had a dream that Junior KOd Cain in like 15 seconds and the event turned out to be a huge bust for the UFC.
that wasn't a dream, you just saw the future

also, i've been scouring the net trying to find a link for this werdum vs schaub confirmation and can't find shit... what's the source on this?

dream

Here's my problem with "Junior Santos."

He has a boring personality. His "look at me, I'm an immigrant with a very specific skillset and I'm also a very nice guy outside of the cage" gimmick is kind of like Nog-lite, only with worse promos. He's also nowhere near the striker the UFC wants him to be. At best, his striking is K-1-level.

I don't believe he's the guy to carry the heavyweight division.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dream said:

He has a boring personality. His "look at me, I'm an immigrant with a very specific skillset and I'm also a very nice guy outside of the cage" gimmick is kind of like Nog-lite, only with worse promos. He's also nowhere near the striker the UFC wants him to be. At best, his striking is K-1-level.

Ouch that is messed up. At worse he is "professional boxer" level like Marcus Davis.

Jake.

dream said:

pretty much. you forgot the wife, too.

dream said:

are you talking about junior or cain?

btw just speaking anecdotally based on a few friends of mine, but girls fucking love junior for some reason. all my buddies' girlfriends who watched the season of TUF with them that had brock and jds in it swoon over him. i've seen other people point this out too, it's weird.

so he at least has an inkling of charisma unlike mantequilla cain.

all hail the future king of the ufc heavyweight division:

junior_dos_santos_UFC_FOX_funny.gif

agrajag

Banned
dream said:

wtf lol

tass0

Banned
dream said:

Immigrant? -_-

Baby Milo

polyh3dron said:
are you talking about junior or cain?

btw just speaking anecdotally based on a few friends of mine, but girls fucking love junior for some reason. all my buddies' girlfriends who watched the season of TUF with them that had brock and jds in it swoon over him. i've seen other people point this out too, it's weird.

so he at least has an inkling of charisma unlike mantequilla cain.

all hail the future king of the ufc heavyweight division:

junior_dos_santos_UFC_FOX_funny.gif
thats not overeem

Heel

Baby Milo said:
thats not overeem

Overeem vs. Dos Santos would be a really interesting title fight. I think it's going to end up being Overeem vs. Velasquez though, which is the definition of a nightmare scenario for The Reem. World class wrestling and cardio = game over.

This all hinges on how Cain has bounced back from his injiury. If it's a return to form JDS is done dotta. Cain is a fucking animal.

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
Overeem vs. Dos Santos would be a really interesting title fight. I think it's going to end up being Overeem vs. Velasquez though, which is the definition of a nightmare scenario for The Reem. World class wrestling and cardio = game over.

This all hinges on how Cain has bounced back from his injiury. If it's a return to form JDS is done dotta. Cain is a fucking animal.

I think the Brock fight will be very telling of how Overeem will handle world class rasslin.

Heel

agrajag said:
I think the Brock fight will be very telling of how Overeem will handle world class rasslin.

Even if Oveereem holds his own grappling against Brock, I think the test Cain brings is a different kind of animal completely. The pace Cain keeps is not the norm for a heavyweight (as we've all seen in recent HW bouts, haha). He's going to keep coming round after round until he gets flatlined or the last bell rings. I don't see Brock being the same kind of test in the latter rounds that Cain is, unless he gets to ride on top the whole time.

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
Even if Oveereem holds his own grappling against Brock, I think the test Cain brings is a different kind of animal completely. The pace Cain keeps is not the norm for a heavyweight (as we've all seen in recent HW bouts, haha). He's going to keep coming round after round until he gets flatlined or the last bell rings. I don't see Brock being the same kind of test in the latter rounds that Cain is, unless he gets to ride on top the whole time.

If Kongo rocked Cain, Overeem can definitely knock his lights out.

Heel

agrajag said:
If Kongo rocked Cain, Overeem can definitely knock his lights out.

If we all knew for sure we'd be millionaires. I wouldn't mind being wrong though, I like Overeem as a fighter more than I do Cain. JDS too, for that matter. It's not even about fighting styles really...more to do with personality, which Cain has none of. There I admitted it. Happy, dream?

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
If we all knew for sure we'd be millionaires. I wouldn't mind being wrong though, I like Overeem as a fighter more than I do Cain. JDS too, for that matter. It's not even about fighting styles really...more to do with personality, which Cain has none of. There I admitted it. Happy, dream?

I like JDS. I hope he wins this Saturday.

Heel

agrajag said:
I like JDS. I hope he wins this Saturday.

Yeah, what a likable guy...carefree and positive. Really impressive how he's picked up on english too. I just don't see him winning this one.

In contrast, Velasquez is completely stoic and void of personality from what I've seen. Not in the Fedor kind of way either.

MjFrancis

Yeah, I want JDS to win, but Cain will more than likely remain the champ after this one. If JDS pulls a rabbit out of his hat and takes it, that would give Brock or Overeem a better chance of taking the title. I don't see either of those fighters beating Cain. At all. Of course, this could all change if we see a very different Valasquez this Saturday.

And speaking of the fight, is there anywhere online where this thing will be streamed legit? I don't have TV so I have to get everything online or else go to a tavern to watch a single fight, since you know they won't be playing the prelims at all.

Heel

yacobod said:
talking about reem and cain is very premature considering reem is going to get donkey konged by brock.

Brock's fate is sealed, brah. If anything you should be rooting against the possibility of Brock vs. Cain II. Hopefully when he loses we aren't forced to endure Brock vs. Mir III.

MjFrancis

A Brock v. Cain II would be embarrassing. It would be like giving Jung Chan-Sung a shot at Jose Aldo's title. RD1 defeat or bloodbath guaranteed.

I think Reem can handle him on the feet. Brock doesn't set up his take down like he should. He tries to power his way to get the takedown. This is why Cain brushed them off. If Reem's sprawl is good he should be fine.

dream

"Sugar" Cain Velasquez was a standout wrestler at the super tough Arizona State program, though. Alistair Overeem is...well...Dutch.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I think Reem can handle him on the feet. Brock doesn't set up his take down like he should. He tries to power his way to get the takedown. This is why Cain brushed them off. If Reem's sprawl is good he should be fine.

Brock actually got his first take-down on Cain, it's just Cain was able to get back up to his feet rather easily after the take-down. If he can take-down a fresh Cain Velasquez, he's going to easily td reem.

AiTM

Banned
parrotbeak said:

I think Reem thought it was a joke at first, then the reporter bull charged kind of out of nowhere. Once he took it serious and had his footing he had no chance of getting him down.

But yea Brock is going to be able to get him down. He couldnt get Cain down because Cain was so much lighter and faster, and was also a wrestler.

dream said:

Seriously? What is up with the constant K-1 attacks? Has Junior ever even thrown a kick? There should be some basic info for this thread on what K-1 really is? Or should I say was......makes me sad.

yacobod said:
Brock actually got his first take-down on Cain, it's just Cain was able to get back up to his feet rather easily after the take-down. If he can take-down a fresh Cain Velasquez, he's going to easily td reem.
The difference is in how he took him down. Once Cain got up he tried to bull doze him.

parrotbeak said:
Oh please this is a fucking joke. Alistair is a real good sport by indulging all these reporters and then this reporter surprises him by shooting in for a fucking takedown and could have injured him. If I was Alistair I would have been fucking pissed and I bet he actually was. He should have given the reporter a few good hits to teach him a lesson.
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Seriously? What is up with the constant K-1 attacks? Has Junior ever even thrown a kick? There should be some basic info for this thread on what K-1 really is? Or should I say was......makes me sad.
It's a joke. Joe Rogan and other MMA people have long bandied about the term "K-1 Level Striking" when describing an MMA fighter's supposed elite striking skills. Cain Velasquez's striking coach Javier Mendez used the term to describe Cain's striking skills prior to the Noguiera fight and many fans laughed at it because Cain was considered to have little to no striking power at the time.

dream used it in an ironic sense.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think theres no doubt that Brock will take the fight to the ground but Reem knows a guillotine or two ;)

agrajag said:
Brock is gonna get Marioed by Reem.
Reem by decission

dream

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I'm not at a computer right now so I can't scour YouTube but I think my good friend yacobod can put together a highlight package that will explain what K-1-level striking is.

Heel

dream said:
I'm not at a computer right now so I can't scour YouTube but I think my good friend yacobod can put together a highlight package that will explain what K-1-level striking is.

I'll get the party started.

Y8n7x.gif

Top Bottom