• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

agrajag said:
JDS or Cain would not survive one round with Badr Hari K-1 rules imo.

The delusion that MMA fighters have elite level K-1 striking is almost as bad as MMA fighters thinking they'd do well in boxing. All three are completely different worlds.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
I'm not at a computer right now so I can't scour YouTube but I think my good friend yacobod can put together a highlight package that will explain what K-1-level striking is.

I'd be all over it as well but youtube is blocked at work...

agrajag

Banned
polyh3dron said:
avokdv.gif

is this post supposed to be proof that K1 is bad? Overeem has been a kickboxer as long as he's been practicing MMA.

pr0cs

yacobod said:
i'm not advocating for another title shot for brock, i just think he's going to smash overeem.
I can agree with this. All depends on what sort of Brock shows up. The last Reem fight against Werdum he looked fucking terrible, so tired he could barely do the interview at the end. One thing Brock has never looked gassed
even running away from guys like Carwin and Cain
so I suspect Brock will go back to his roots and grind out a win via lay and pray or manage to do a vanilla gorilla on the ground on the 'reem.

yacobod

Banned
K1 is completely different than MMA, so it doesn't really mean shit. I frankly think K1 striking is totally overrated w/how it translates to the world of MMA.

Mirko Crocop, in my opinion, was a much better striker in his prime than Overeem. He got knocked out by Randleman in a mma fight in his prime.

The last fucking K1 HW champ got outstruck by Werdum in his last fight. Fightmetric for that fight is here for the funnies.

And people throw around the term so loosely about how [X Fighter] has K1 level striking that the expression has been totally devalued. The expression in and of itself is meaningless anyways in mma because you are comparing apples to oranges.

pr0cs said:
so I suspect Brock will go back to his roots and grind out a win via lay and pray or manage to do a vanilla gorilla on the ground on the 'reem.

Brock's never LNPd. He finished Randy, Mir, and Carwin. His only fight to go the distance was against Heath Herring, who took a beating and had his orbital bone broken in the opening minutes of the fight.

pr0cs

yacobod said:
Brock's never LNPd. He finished Randy, Mir, and Carwin. His only fight to go the distance was against Heath Herring, who took a beating and had his orbital bone broken in the opening minutes of the fight.
He's been off for a while, lost a lot of mass (based off the WWE video of this week) and desperately needs a win. When I say LnP I suppose I should have quantified the fight more along the lines of the Herring beating.

sien916 said:
Disagree...Lesnar was gassed after one round of grappling with Cain. Let's not forget his fight against Couture either.
I don't think either fight was long enough for him to look gassed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
However, though officials initially suggested the channel wouldn't air live events, UFC and FOX executives today said non-PPV overseas events will air live on FUEL TV, as well.

Officials said the FUEL TV events will run approximately three hours, live events on FX will run two hours, and the four annual shows on the FOX network are expected to run 90 minutes.
Pretty lame that Fuel is getting live events too.

But hey, can't stop the internet, right?

Heel

yacobod said:
is fuel tv on direct tv?

Yeah. I did some research on it when I found out they'd be using FUEL.

Pretty clear they're using UFC content to force carriers to pick up the channel and expand their audience reach. I don't want to wait around in the meantime though. I only really watch live TV for sports, and I could be getting FUEL, HDNet and NFL Sunday Ticket elsewhere.

DirecTV + Fiber here I come!

No Facebook prelims is probably one of the worst moves they've made. A lot of my casual friends starting watching and caring about the "lesser" known fighters because they were so easily viewable.

Now those friends most likely will not watch them at all.

Impeccable said:
No Facebook prelims is probably one of the worst moves they've made. A lot of my casual friends starting watching and caring about the "lesser" known fighters because they were so easily viewable.

Now those friends most likely will not watch them at all.
you mean those same prelims will be not be as accessible now that they're on Fuel?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
polyh3dron said:
you mean those same prelims will be not be as accessible now that they're on Fuel?

Doesn't make much sense to me.
Well the UFC doesn't make a dime from Facebook streams so I can understand. I thought they would stream them on Foxsports though.

rvy

Banned
DKehoe said:
Weird that they mentioned Jeet Kune Do as one of the main martial arts that makes up MMA. I guess they just wanted to name drop Bruce Lee.
Maybe Dana wrote that page.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Reem Suing GG for $150,000

http://www.tmz.com:80/2011/11/09/alistair-overeem-sues-managers/#.TrsMdVbrXdA

MMA pain machineAlistair Overeem-- the guy who's set to fight Brock Lesnar next month -- claims he's been stabbed in the back by his management team ... and he almost paid the price in the ring. Long story short -- Overeem filed a lawsuit against his Netherlands-based management team -- claiming they duped him into signing the worst MMA contract ever ...  and then tried to book him into high profile fights when he wasn't healthy enough to perform. According to the lawsuit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Overeem stupidly agreed to give his managers 35% of his pre-tax income in exchange for their services -- but the managers failed him miserably. Overeem claims the managers have refused to pay him more than $151,000 in earnings -- including a bigtime bonus he was supposed to rake in when he signed with the UFC. Overeem is suing for unspecified damages -- and he wants a court order to break his contract with the management team ASAP. Overeem is scheduled to fight Lesnar on Dec. 30 -- a fight worth millions of dollars that he clearly  doesn't want his managers to get their hands on.

dream

What was that awesome thing I said the other day?

edit: found it

dream said:
Holy shit these guys are scrapping like they have no education or employable skills to fall back on.

stay in school, aspiring sports entertainers. then you'll be able to read your contracts before signing them.

dream

It kind of makes me sad that a guy like Leonard Garcia is only good at drug trafficking and fighting and since he can't slang yay anymore, he has to go out there and fight a brain cell killing style fight every few months just to make a living.

MjFrancis

Well, he's getting Fight of the Night honors twice a year getting punched stupid. Better than being in the pen for selling coke, even if faces the prospect of being half-retarded from head trauma in his old age.

Boogie

Overeem might have a contract that gives his managers' 35% of his purse.

But Fedor probably only gets 35% of his purse from Finkie. ;)

dream said:

stay in school, aspiring sports entertainers. then you'll be able to read your contracts before signing them.

Another reason everyone should look up to good looking bright champions currently reigning at 170 and 205.

ShaneB

BigJonsson said:
TUF :eek:

Akira has no idea where he is lol, Dennis just unlocked the coming back from the dead achievement

Agreed.
knew from the time it would be over quick, and seeing Dennis get rocked I figured it was Akira going to steamroll over him, but then that slam. Fuck Akira, wooo Dennis And yeah, Akira was so out of it.

dream said:

Nick Diaz didn't even go to a school to buy houses, and here you're telling me he should be going to school to read contracts?

Also, Alistair seems like a pretty intelligent person, he just trusted the people who trained him not to do this. I think it's basically an issue of letting your trainers be your managers as well. These are people Alistair had to be able to trust 100% in order to feel safe training with them, so obviously that trust will carry over into the business side of things and Bas Boon took advantage of this.

yacobod said:
GG deserves their 35%. They tricked the world into making reem a top 10 heavyweight and getting him paid.
My understanding of it is that it's more than the 35%, he's saying they basically pocketed alistair's entire signing bonus. This lawsuit will be quite interesting because we're about to get a glimpse into how these Zuffa fighter contracts are structured, and how much these guys actually get paid.

agrajag

Banned
Sucks about Poly. Was looking forward to banter on Saturday.

And, uh sucks about the Overeem/Golden Glory lawsuit situation. He should be spending all his time on training for the fight right now, not on lawsuits.

Top Bottom