• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
shogun_overeem.gif

k0fuja.jpg

KharitonovOvereem1.gif

7_-_badr_hari_vs_alistair_overeem_20091207_1009249009.jpg

ajlekk.jpg

51235w.jpg

brock-lesnar_heath-herring.gif

yacobod

Banned
no shame in losing to the number 1 heavyweight in the world. cain probably will have a long reign at HW until JBJ moves up in weight.

yacobod

Banned
Boogie said:
It will be interesting to see how training Stateside will improve the Reem's game, tho.

Brock's taken down everyone he's faced in the UFC, including Cain, Randy, and Carwin, who all have much better wrestling, graplling, and tdd than overeem. so you basically must concede that overeem is going to be taken down at some point in this fight. To say otherwise would be like me saying that Nick Diaz is going to stuff all of GSP's td attempts in there fight. People just need to be honest w/themselves.

How come Dream doesn't give Brock shit about submitting to strikes? Even Dana said at it the press conference after the Cain fight. Is it because he didn't beat his man crush?

Messi

yacobod said:
Brock's taken down everyone he's faced in the UFC, including Cain, Randy, and Carwin, who all have much better wrestling, graplling, and tdd than overeem. so you basically must concede that overeem is going to be taken down at some point in this fight. To say otherwise would be like me saying that Nick Diaz is going to stuff all of GSP's td attempts in there fight. People just need to be honest w/themselves.

Cain also had very little trouble getting up, but i do agree, reem is getting taken down.

yacobod

Banned
Messi said:
Cain also had very little trouble getting up, but i do agree, reem is getting taken down.

Indeed. The fight is going to be about how overeem reacts to getting taken down, how effective he is at getting back up to his feet, and does he have the cardio to get up a few times and still fight well. i mean i guess he could potentially knockout brock before it hits the ground, but i doubt it.

BLACKLAC

yacobod said:
no shame in losing to the number 1 heavyweight in the world. cain probably will have a long reign at HW until JBJ moves up in weight.

Cain is losing his belt to JDS though.

Unless you mean sitting out for over a year do to injury qualifies as a "long reign".

yacobod

Banned
New BJ Penn interview on the Diaz/Penn Fight, retirement, and more on BJPenn.com:

BJ Penn said:
I guess the fans got a good fight so that’s always positive for them. You always want to make sure they get their money’s worth if they order the pay-per-view or show up in person.

I was glad a lot of people from Hawaii got to make it out, a lot of friends and family got to be there so that was all good.

As far as the fight itself, I think Nick and Cesar had a good gameplan, they used the typical big man push you against the fence and tire you out gameplan. That kind of threw me for a surprise because I saw one of his interviews and he had said he was going to really fight me and I thought we were going to go out there and trade Jiu Jitsu techniques and boxing techniques but a portion of the first and second rounds we were stuck on the fence trying to get away from him.

People said he was grabbing the fence or whatever but who cares no biggie, I was just surprised we were stuck on the fence at all. He wanted to use his weight on a guy who is 20 pounds smaller I guess. Hats off to him though, he is a good fighter and he took the decision.

yacobod

Banned
pretty sure if BJ let nick box for 15 minutes he would've been fight with that, i'm not really sure i understand his complaints/excuses.

Heel

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

UFC on FOX: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - OFFICIAL THREAD

Prelims start at 1:45 PM PT / 4:45 PM ET, free on Facebook.com and FOXSports.com
Main event starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on FOX

Bellator 57

Prelims start at 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com
Main card starts at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET on MTV2, HD on Epix (Note: Replay at 8:00 PM PT / 11:00 PM ET.)

Boxing - Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez III - OFFICIAL THREAD

Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Shamil Abdurahimov vs. David Olivia (Friday, ProFC 37)
Tony Bonello vs. Dave Roberts (Friday, Shark Fights 21)
Bobby Lashley vs. Darrill "Titties" Schoonover Tim Hague Dave Huckaba Karl Knothe (Friday, Shark Fights 21)
Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Magomed Malikov (Saturday, M-1 Challenge 28)
Rich Clementi vs. Ronnie Rogers (Saturday, Victory Promotions: Clementi vs. Rogers)
Ronys Torres vs. Wanderson Silva (Sunday, Cage Fighters 1)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BigJonsson said:
Brock says he weighs 278

Wow, the MMA press questions were horrible lol
I honestly thought those were all fan questions.

MMA journalists are the new video games journalists.

ShaneB

Chamber said:
I honestly thought those were all fan questions.

MMA journalists are the new video games journalists.

I tuned in to catch the last couple press questions. When Dana said "now for a couple fan questions" I was quite confused.

DKehoe said:
What sort of questions were being asked?

Someone asked Brock what his thoughts were on JDS after getting to know him during TUF......Brock said they were BFFs and then was like what a stupid question

Another guy mentioned that Overeem is friends with Anthony Hardonk and was wondering if he was going to the opening of his gym on Sunday.........Reem was like uhhhh I dunno this is the first I've heard of it?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BigJonsson said:
Someone asked Brock what his thoughts were on JDS after getting to know him during TUF......Brock said they were BFFs and then was like what a stupid question

Another guy mentioned that Overeem is friends with Anthony Hardonk and was wondering if he was going to the opening of his gym on Sunday.........Reem was like uhhhh I dunno this is the first I've heard of it?
Don't forget the guy who asked Reem how he obtained horse meat.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:

Serious answer, I really don't. Objectively he's seems like an affable guy, very well spoken for a fighter, and properly placed in the personality section in the OT. I think he has the proper makeup to be a big star for the UFC. I'm just not sure his fighting in the cage will backup the things outside the cage. And his fans are delusional compared to his current in ring accomplishments.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
painey said:
one fight on Fox?! the fuck..?
It's actually kinda funny when you consider that one of the UFC's biggest strengths vs. boxing is the ability to have cards with lots of great fights all over the card (or at least 2-4 even on an off night) rather than just the ME. But oh well.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It's only a one-time thing and this card was put together rather hastily. I'm ok with it. They need to work out some kinks production/promotion-wise anyway and it's better they learn now before the real FOX cards start. Next year is going to be sick with the inevitable Strikeforce merger and all the FOX deal provisions kicking-in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's a one-time thing but it's also a first impression to a lot of people. They should have thrown Bones-Machida on there as the co-main or something. I could see the reluctance about Bendo-Guida though; it could very well be a blanketmatch.

agrajag

Banned
AstroLad said:
It's a one-time thing but it's also a first impression to a lot of people. They should have thrown Bones-Machida on there as the co-main or something. I could see the reluctance about Bendo-Guida though; it could very well be a blanketmatch.

If Bones-Machida was on this, it'd be an insane card.

Top Bottom