• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

yacobod said:
Can we name 10 legit draws/stars in the UFC right now?

1. Brock
2. GSP
3. BJ Penn
4. QRJ
5. Tito Ortiz
6. Jon Bones Jones
7. Frankie Edgar (I think his KO of maynard will do him good next time he headlines)
8. Nick Diaz (he does have a very unique fanbase and draw capability)
9. Anderson Silva
10. ?

...and how many of these guys would they be willing to give away for free on FOX? My guess is not many.

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:
Can we name 10 legit draws/stars in the UFC right now?

1. Brock
2. GSP
3. BJ Penn
4. QRJ
5. Tito Ortiz
6. Jon Bones Jones
7. Frankie Edgar (I think his KO of maynard will do him good next time he headlines)
8. Nick Diaz (he does have a very unique fanbase and draw capability)
9. Anderson Silva
10. ?

You're being too hard. Quick name three legit draws in BOXING. Oh wait, there's only two. Quick name when someone buys a wrestling PPV outside of Wrestlemania or maybe an appearance from The Rock (for the time being.)

Yeah there may not be that many major draws, but your scope is scewed because you're not looking at what's going on outside the UFC. Bernard hopkins drew like 60,000 buys against Dawson. 60 fucking thousand? Imagine if even a C rate UFC PPV drew that low, people would be saying MMA is dead. And Hopkins is arguably the 3rd best draw in boxing anymore in name and public perception. Hell lets compare where Heavyweight MMA and Heavyweight boxing is. Heavyweight boxing title fights have been run out of hte US because no one here gives a fuck anymore, and Heavyweight MMA was just on broadcast TV last night.

The fact that if you can even come up with 10 in UFC is extremely great, compared to UFC's past and other PPV events. The only problem with MMA is the injuries and the fact that Dana needs to pushing guys on a Jon Jones 3 or 4 fight a year schedule, not letting GSP sit in training for six fucking months and then wondering why he all of a sudden gets injured before the fight.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
Sorry but this is the legit list. I don't see how you can list guys like BJ and Edgar when UFC 125, 127, 136 and 137 all did the lowest buyrates of the year.

well i see your point, but i think you have to include QRJ with them. QRJ/Rashad broke 1 million buys. GSP has never broke 1 million buys as a headliner.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
...and how many of these guys would they be willing to give away for free on FOX? My guess is not many.

well i think if the UFC and FOX really want to take the sport to the next level, those guys are going to have to be featured heavily on those free televised events on FOX imo.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TheNatural said:
You're being too hard. Quick name three legit draws in BOXING. Oh wait, there's only two. Quick name when someone buys a wrestling PPV outside of Wrestlemania or maybe an appearance from The Rock (for the time being.)

Well boxing is dead and wrasslin' has no huge hope for mainstream success.

dream

I really think hiring Paul Heyman and having him coach fighters on what to say and how to say it is the best short-term solution. His work with Shane Carwin was just amazing.

It's not always about having top named fighters on the Fox cards, but exciting, fast moving fighters and Dana didn't want to do that. Nobody wants to watch 30 minutes of dana brock and curt menefee. they should have listened to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
well i see your point, but i think you have to include QRJ with them. QRJ/Rashad broke 1 million buys. GSP has never broke 1 million buys as a headliner.
The QRJ vs. Rashad feud was a draw but individually, I wouldn't say either is good for anything beyond the usual ~300k buyrate.

That's whats missing here. Everyone talks about the UFC making stars but it's hard to make stars when one punch can ruin everything. They should be focusing on building up feuds like Rampage and Rashad had.

The UFC's success isn't predicated on stars, but they build everyone up and make every fight mean something. even fights like aaraon rosa and the mexcutioner. That is their advantage and they didn't use it.

dream

Well, the unique thing about MMA is once someone is a star, they stay a star forever because MMA fans are very forgiving. Chuck could come back and probably do 500k on PPV tomorrow.

It's just, yeah, when there are so many ways to lose a fight, you can't really use beneficial matchmaking to build someone. That's why I think the UFC needs to produce better profile pieces and coach their fighters to take full advantage of those valuable pre and post fight interviews.

TheNatural

My Member!
alr1ghtstart said:
Well boxing is dead and wrasslin' has no huge hope for mainstream success.

Wrestling was huge in the late 90's, early 00's. I'm just saying, you have to have scope to see what's going on. The PPV numbers people describe as not great for UFC, still kick the shit out of everything not a Pacquaio, Mayweather, or Wrestlemania PPV. That shouldn't be taken for granted, I think people are taking for granted how successful UFC has really been, and will once again lead total PPV buys this year.

You can't make assumptions about a success or failure unless you have something to compare it by, which is why talk of the ratings last night being a total failure is ridiculous.

dream

It's all cyclical. Rasslin was huge because they had the right group of guys to carry the product, then steeply dropped off because Mr. McMahon couldn't create a new generation of Superstars that connect with a wide audience. UFC went through a similar thing with Chuck, Randy, Tito, St. Pierre, etc but now Dana is in the same position of not having stars that people genuinely care about.

It's kind of fucked when Kirstie Alley got Bones Jones over more than the UFC ever did.

TheNatural

My Member!
dream said:
It's all cyclical. Rasslin was huge because they had the right group of guys to carry the product, then steeply dropped off because Mr. McMahon couldn't create a new generation of Superstars that connect with a wide audience. UFC went through a similar thing with Chuck, Randy, Tito, St. Pierre, etc but now Dana is in the same position of not having stars that people genuinely care about.

I'm pretty sure even 4 years ago when Chuck was on a top, his PPV numbers still weren't doing anything compared to a lot of the major stars now. Comparing UFC now to then, UFC is more popular today. Comparing wrestling now to then, wrestling is 1/10th of what it was, and in the worst spot it's been in two decades.

Not really sure how you can say UFC lost stars that drew, when outside of this year when there's been a ridiculous amount of injuries and main events cancelled, it's been growing year on year consistently.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
Well, the unique thing about MMA is once someone is a star, they stay a star forever because MMA fans are very forgiving. Chuck could come back and probably do 500k on PPV tomorrow.
Joking?

What are 'stars'? Top guys that even people who don't watch UFC know who they are? Otherwise there are tons of stars in the UFC that I love to watch and care about and all my friends do too. Its getting to be that there are so many exciting fighters to watch in the UFC that its hard to keep track of them all.

Also - I know we have a contingent in here that seem to hate UFC and pretty much MMA in general (ironically the most active posters in this thread) but no matter how you guys try to spin it last night was a successful debut for one fight that didn't have a lot of promotion behind it on Fox itself. Its only getting better from here.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:

I think for the most part they are. Crocop was still a big draw even though he hasn't won a meaningful fight since 2006. Zombie-Wand is a co-main-event on an upcoming ppv and he is a certified tomato can, but the dude still has a lot of fans, myself included. Fedor has dropped 3 in a row, but his fans will defend him to the end. I think most hardcore mma fans are pretty loyal.

I think the newer fans or johnny come latelys are much quicker to jump from bandwagon to bandwagon tho.

TheNatural

My Member!
PS - Here are the PPV numbers of the past few years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

Liddell-Ortiz 2 was big, but outside of that only 4 in the top 20 UFC buyrates were before 2008, and that's Liddell-Ortiz 2 at #3, and then PPV's down at 15, 16, and 19. Four of the top six are Lesnar PPV's, and he hasn't fought this year. No shocker that this year is down compared to last. GSP has only fought once, and Silva has only fought twice.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
I think for the most part they are. Crocop was still a big draw even though he hasn't won a meaningful fight since 2006. Zombie-Wand is a co-main-event on an upcoming ppv and he is a certified tomato can, but the dude still has a lot of fans, myself included. Fedor has dropped 3 in a row, but his fans will defend him to the end. I think most hardcore mma fans are pretty loyal.

I think the newer fans or johnny come latelys are much quicker to jump from bandwagon to bandwagon tho.
Well those guys are legends, not just stars. If Jon Jones lost the belt title tomorrow, he'd probably lose 90% of his fans along with it.

DKehoe

Yeh, once guys are stars people don't really give a shit how many times they lose. They just want to see that star fight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheNatural said:
PS - Here are the PPV numbers of the past few years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

Liddell-Ortiz 2 was big, but outside of that only 4 in the top 20 UFC buyrates were before 2008, and that's Liddell-Ortiz 2 at #3, and then PPV's down at 15, 16, and 19. Four of the top six are Lesnar PPV's, and he hasn't fought this year. No shocker that this year is down compared to last. GSP has only fought once, and Silva has only fought twice.
4 5/29/2010 UFC 114: Rampage vs. Evans 1,050,000

I wonder how many people this turned off MMA. Seriously.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DKehoe said:
Yeh, once guys are stars people don't really give a shit how many times they lose. They just want to see that star fight.
Eh, not when they keep getting knocked out, a fighter should know when to quit.

DKehoe

Plywood said:
Eh, not when they keep getting knocked out, a fighter should know when to quit.
I agree completely. But I just mean the majority of fans will continue to be interested in someone even after they have had some bad losses. Chuck continued to be a PPV draw long after he should have stopped.

Heel

Chamber, I think you'll agree that Dana White's brilliant use of their hour timeslot can be ignored no longer. Was there ever any doubt? Personalities were built, and a new star for the world stage was born. 60 million fledgling fans from Brazil tuned in to see a new national hero win quickly and decisively.

UFC is an unstoppable global force and the FOX card was a masterful presentation.

yacobod

Banned
i dont know how they can honestly say that JDS/Cain would have had 800k buys. that's being overly optimistic imo. neither guy is a proven draw. i think 500k would have been more realistic.

Heel

yacobod said:
i dont know how they can honestly say that JDS/Cain would have had 800k buys. that's being overly optimistic imo. neither guy is a proven draw. i think 500k would have been more realistic.

Agreed.

It's tough to ignore that Cain drew a $1.1 million gate in L.A. UFC 138: Leben vs. Munoz managed $1.5 million...haha.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
sien916 said:
Agreed.

It's tough to ignore that Cain drew a $1.1 million gate in L.A. UFC 138: Leben vs. Munoz managed $1.5 million...haha.

That's probably due to inflated British prices.

SteveWD40

The Arena in Birmingham is pretty high capacity, and UK events always sell well as we don't get many. As you say, it's also probably a pricing difference here.

y2dvd

The presentation was a great way to bring in new fans. We had a few gal friends watching and commenting how they loved the bios. It was just unfortunate the match ended so quickly. Throw in a few more matches, give the same kinda bios for title contention or main event matches and I think they'll win more fans over.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
THey could have just as easily just aired the Primetime episode prior to it, then had Guida/Ben and Cain/Junior in the hour timeslot. There was a large probability of a clay and pray though, so that may have scared them off.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Guida/Bendo had FOTN written all over it. It should have been on tv no doubt.

I know they talked about the FOX shows being 90 minutes but can they really not get a full two hours? That network isn't airing anything on Saturdays except Cops. Come on.

Not bad for the first one / teaser event:

'In addition to the UFC record, the UFC on FOX event also set a record for the highest-rated MMA event on network television. That record previously was held by 2008's "EliteXC: Primetime" event, which scored 4.3 million viewers.'

-mmajunkie

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sexyama in his last UFC fight? They should have given him a can. After he loses they should have him fight Dan Hardy to see if the UFC won't cut the loser after 5 straight losses.

MjFrancis

sazabirules said:
Sexyama in his last UFC fight? They should have given him a can. After he loses they should have him fight Dan Hardy to see if the UFC won't cut the loser after 5 straight losses.
I lol'd. An Akiyama/Hardy fight does actually makes more sense, given these fighter's recent history. Maybe too much of an edge for Akiyama, though, lol.

Heel

I think Joe Silva realizes Akiyama is 36 years old. He's got to get going if he's going to make any kind of meaningful impact in the UFC. It's sink or swim at this point.

If he manages to keep it on the feet it should be interesting. I doubt he's going to get dropped standing by K-1 Shields. On the other hand, Hardy would've had a great chance at keeping it standing and unloading on him.

By the way, how weird is it going to be watching a UFC with a silent crowd? I just thought about it.

Top Bottom