• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
ShaneB said:
Reem looking like a class act in a suit..... Brock looking like Brock in jeans and t shirt.

Considering how much $$$ Brock must be making from wearing that NASCAR'd t-shirt to the press conference...

BigJonsson said:
Brock doesn't give a shit

Pretty much.

Heel

Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Magomed Malikov -
@OfficialM1 - HOLY S**T Malikov KO's Alexander Emelianenko in the opening seconds of the Fight! GREAT fight by the youngster. Magomed Malikov by KO

Video

Dat right hand.

rvy

Banned
sien916 said:
@OfficialM1 - HOLY S**T Malikov KO's Alexander Emelianenko in the opening seconds of the Fight! GREAT fight by the youngster. Magomed Malikov by KO
He always sucked anyway. Can't remember one good match he had.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
One thing that surprised me about the press conference was the q about Brock's training partners. To emulate the style of Overeem, Brock says it doesn't get better than Pat Barry. Honest answer, but c'mon man, Pat Barry? Look what he's done with Mirko.

Luixfern

Eggo said:
One thing that surprised me about the press conference was the q about Brock's training partners. To emulate the style of Overeem, Brock says it doesn't get better than Pat Barry. Honest answer, but c'mon man, Pat Barry? Look what he's done with Mirko.

More like look what Mirko has done to himself.

Rur0ni

sien916 said:

Video

Dat right hand.
:lol @ all the black leather jackets. And nice KO.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
From the sounds of it, Brock's training still focuses on strength and conditioning along with wrasslin. I'm not sure he's learned much of anything from the Cain loss.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Chamber said:
From the sounds of it, Brock's training still focuses on strength and conditioning along with wrasslin. I'm not sure he's learned much of anything from the Cain loss.
Which sounds like the best plan against Overeem.
Im sure that Brock will take down The Reem in the first takedown attempt.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
silvagif59w835.gif

industrian

sien916 said:

Video

Dat right hand.

Now Alexander knows
how James Thompson felt at Pride 28.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's really funny that Shlemenko fights Lombard again. Lombard has like 40 pounds on him. I dunno . . . maybe he'll land a lucky spinning backfist?

agrajag

Banned
Eggo said:

Overeem is a K1 champ and Barry is a K1 reject.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Does anyone here have any experience with 10th Planet? I was at a tournament a week ago with them, and they were kinda salty. Do they have a problem with more traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? I thought this was weird since Eddie Bravo learned under Machado.

I don't understand rubber guard at all really, and the names for their hold and positions were weird, but...they were pretty much jerks.

industrian

agrajag said:
Overeem is a K1 champ and Barry is a K1 reject.

I wonder why Brock didn't get Cheick Kongo, as he's roughly the same height/reach as Overeem and they're both primarily kickboxers/strikers.

Or maybe this is something to do with that rumour of Brock not wanting to be punched by his training partners.

Yes, I know Barry is a member of Deathclutch.

DKehoe

Heel

Chamber said:
I don't think it's bad for a 1 fight card with 30 minutes of fluff pieces preceding the actual fight.

Sounds like the description of Kimbo's TUF episode, which also pulled better numbers than this...on Spike. Hate to play the heel again but it's tough to view this as anything but disappointing. Dana was expecting to blow those numbers out of the water and introduce MMA to millions of new viewers. It's looking like neither of those things happened.

At best you could say those 4.64 million homes had a lot of people huddled together to watch the Pacquiao-Marquez fight, which could deflate the numbers somewhat. But even then...

dream

If you were a professional MMA journalist covering a UFC press conference, would you wear an Affliction shirt or a Silver Star shirt?

yacobod

Banned
No way to spin this, those ratings are a terrible blow for the UFC and Fox. They had a ton of promotion on tv, the heavyweight title on the line, and the broadcast debut on fox on primetime w/out a ton of other competition last night. That's fucking sad.

Maybe it will be a wake up call for Dana and company. They need better production, better fights, and they need to learn how to hype and market their fighters better. Maybe Dana can bring in Shane Omac or somebody who can help, because those numbers are an unmitigated disaster imo.

dream said:
If you were a professional MMA journalist covering a UFC press conference, would you wear an Affliction shirt or a Silver Star shirt?

RCVA!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
Sounds like the description of Kimbo's TUF episode, which also pulled better numbers than this...on Spike. Hate to play the heel again but it's tough to view this as anything but disappointing. Dana was expecting to blow those numbers out of the water and introduce MMA to millions of new viewers. It's looking like neither of those things happened.

At best you could say those 4.64 million homes had a lot of people huddled together to watch the Pacquiao-Marquez fight, which could deflate the numbers somewhat. But even then...
I agree it's disappointing and if this were their only shot on FOX I'd say it was a total failure but it's not. All it tells us is MMA is not mainstream but they still have 7 years to show that it can be.

UFC on FOX 2 needs to be a lot different. I'll say that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yacobod said:
Maybe it will be a wake up call for Dana and company. They need better production, better fights, and they need to learn how to hype and market their fighters better. Maybe Dana can bring in Shane Omac or somebody who can help, because those numbers are an unmitigated disaster imo.
Pretty much this. They've needed it for a long time too. Their leaning on old-time schmucks with vanishing abilities as well as Brock is coming back to bite them in the ass. So is the fact that they've really never tried to expand out of their super-narrow niche in terms of fanbase. The only ambitious moves have been geographic, not demographic. You can't just flip a switch and all of a sudden you're mainstream. It also probably doesn't help that MMA is in a huge lull right now popularity-wise.

Bums me out because the sport itself really is incredible, and I do think the UFC usually does a good job in terms of matchmaking and bringing in interesting talent.

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:
No way to spin this, those ratings are a terrible blow for the UFC and Fox. They had a ton of promotion on tv, the heavyweight title on the line, and the broadcast debut on fox on primetime w/out a ton of other competition last night. That's fucking sad.

RCVA!

You have no idea what you're talking about. For a ONE minute fight, a 2.4 is great. It basically matched a top 5 college football game on national TV for 59 minutes of non fighting, without a full card. This with a sport that is a PPV only event where a smaller amount of fans are willing to pay $50 to watch a fight, as compared to a free sport like college football.

Also: From mmajunkies derek bolender - At 9:35 pm et (when fight started) UFC was #1 nationally in ratings. 14 mins later it was out of top 5. In and out.

Basically people tuned in when it mattered, and that was for the one minute of the fight. If it were a full fight, the ratings overall for the hour would have been even higher. If it were a full CARD, it would have been even higher because people would have been tuning in for each fight.

The problem wasn't with anything, other than the fact there was only one fight, and that one fight lasted for all of one minute, and it was expect to carry ratings for an entire hour. And it still matched a major top 10 high scoring college football game.

dream

Like I said, there are no new MMA viewers to lure.

If you want to watch human cockfighting, you're already watching human cockfighting. Those that aren't interested won't watch just because they suddenly have the opportunity to.

Dana should remember that the biggest angle they ever had for pulling in viewers is the shit that went down between Kos and Leben in the house.

dream

Basically I am saying UFC and FOX should do a reality show called RooMMAtes, a name I am going to trademark right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That would be a way to lure new viewers -- however tawdry.

The problem right now isn't even just that they're failing to lure new viewers, it's that they're losing existing ones YOY because they've really bled that well dry.

So yeah they need to reconsider everything from a marketing, promotion, and business standpoint.

yacobod

Banned
spin those numbers anyway you want, but the kimbo elite xc card drew a 6.0, and that number only peaked when he was fighting in the ME. i think they should have done better than that imo. saying they only expected 3 million viewers is pre-emptive damage control.

i love the sport, it's up there with the NFL for me. i wish i had a chance to see the guida/benson fight because word was it was great. i think they made a big mistake not airing that on the card.

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:
spin those numbers anyway you want, but the kimbo elite xc card drew a 6.0, and that number only peaked when he was fighting in the ME. i think they should have done better than that imo. saying they only expected 3 million viewers is pre-emptive damage control.

i love the sport, it's up there with the NFL for me. i wish i had a chance to see the guida/benson fight because word was it was great. i think they made a big mistake not airing that on the card.

The Kimbo card drew a 2.2 dude, and the UFC card drew a 2.4. Where are you getting these numbers?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AstroLad said:

The problem right now isn't even just that they're failing to lure new viewers, it's that they're losing existing ones YOY because they've really bled that well dry.

So yeah they need to reconsider everything from a marketing, promotion, and business standpoint.
They lost viewers in part because they lost the fights everyone wanted to see.

GSP/Diaz, Jones/Evans, JDS/Brock are all fights that would have done big numbers.

dream

AstroLad said:

They need to have fighters that mean something fighting in fights that mean something. Unfortunately, Dana seems to be intent on going the opposite route: carpet bombing us with fighters that mean nothing fighting in fights that mean nothing, and he does this 2 or 3 times a month.

yacobod

Banned
TheNatural said:
The Kimbo card drew a 2.2 dude, and the UFC card drew a 2.4. Where are you getting these numbers?

my bad, i misread something a few posts up and i stand corrected. either way i think the numbers are disappointing.

well hopefully they can use it as a good learning experience, and give the fans a better product next time out.

i think one easy fix is removing dana white from the booth. watching him trash the new champ right after he knocked out his mexican poster boy was pretty classless and very short sighted by him. if dana white was intelligent, he could've started spinning the win as a boon for the UFC and the dawn of a new dominant champion. instead he was trashing cain's gameplan, trashing JDS cardio, and looking like a salty prick.

TheNatural

My Member!
dream said:
They need to have fighters that mean something fighting in fights that mean something. Unfortunately, Dana seems to be intent on going the opposite route: carpet bombing us with fighters that mean nothing fighting in fights that mean nothing, and he does this 2 or 3 times a month.

Everyone has been injured this year, the only thing I suggest doing is have fighters fight at a much faster rate than toiling in training camps for months. Two Silva PPV's this year, one GSP PPV, and zero Lesnar PPV's. That right there says it all, those have been the UFC's biggest draws.

dream

TheNatural said:
Everyone has been injured this year, the only thing I suggest doing is have fighters fight at a much faster rate than toiling in training camps for months. Two Silva PPV's this year, one GSP PPV, and zero Lesnar PPV's. That right there says it all, those have been the UFC's biggest draws.

But that's the problem, isn't it? They only have 4 or 5 guys anyone actually gives a shit about and the rest of the roster might as well be all Miller Brothers.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:

i do agree they need to cut down to 12 pay-per-views per year. one a month. it's pretty retarded when they have PPVs like every 2 weeks. shit is over-saturated at this point.

12 pay-per-views, with 4 epic ppv quality fox cards per year, with some fight night type cards on fuel should be the model moving forward.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wouldn't be surprised if Silva retires soon and I wouldn't go banking on Brock.

The only thing even close to a superstar under 30 that the UFC has is JBJ.

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:
my bad, i misread something a few posts up and i stand corrected. either way i think the numbers are disappointing.

well hopefully they can use it as a good learning experience, and give the fans a better product next time out.

i think one easy fix is removing dana white from the booth. watching him trash the new champ right after he knocked out his mexican poster boy was pretty classless and very short sighted by him. if dana white was intelligent, he could've started spinning the win as a boon for the UFC and the dawn of a new dominant champion. instead he was trashing cain's gameplan, trashing JDS cardio, and looking like a salty prick.

None of that shit matters. Brock can rant about how he's going to get on top of his wife or Dana talk shit about Bob Arum, and it all really doesn't matter. As I said in the thread, people are tuning in to see FIGHTING. No one gives a shit about the pre and post show stuff. The only thing MMA needs to adapt on network cards is having a faster paced card and less talking.

I rolled my eyes when the NFL theme came on and we listened to a FOX paid program on how the fighters overcame being Brazilian and Mexican to have money now. 30 minutes of that shit, when they should have shoehorned Henderson-Guida on there and started the show IN THE CAGE. Then right after, had Dos Santos-Velasquez.

It's really no indictment of the sport as a whole, and they need to do this or that, it's just the plain fact that people tune in to see fighting and one of the SIXTY minutes of the telecast had that.

yacobod

Banned
Can we name 10 legit draws/stars in the UFC right now?

1. Brock
2. GSP
3. BJ Penn
4. QRJ
5. Tito Ortiz
6. Jon Bones Jones
7. Frankie Edgar (I think his KO of maynard will do him good next time he headlines)
8. Nick Diaz (he does have a very unique fanbase and draw capability)
9. Anderson Silva
10. ?

dream

Anderson may be the best fighter in the world but he really needs help drawing, whether it's in the form of a popular opponent or being paired with a great co-main.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
Can we name 10 legit draws/stars in the UFC right now?

1. Brock
2. GSP
Sorry but this is the legit list. I don't see how you can list guys like BJ and Edgar when UFC 125, 127, 136 and 137 all did the lowest buyrates of the year.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
Anderson may be the best fighter in the world but he really needs help drawing, whether it's in the form of a popular opponent or being paired with a great co-main.

well he is paired with sports entertainer Chael Sonnen, so his next ppv will do gangbusters.

Top Bottom