• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

sien916 said:
Yeah. A rare example of an MMA fighter who's openly booed in Japan.

Akiyama Greasegate

Also there's a Korean-Japanese cultural thing going on with Akiyama that I'm not really hip to. Anyone know the deal?

It's more because of the latter issue. At a Judo tournament he wore a Japanese patch and a Korean one on his shoulders. The crowd started calling him Zainichi Korean.

yacobod

Banned
you know what's funny in retrospect. Brock Lesnar was a better UFC champion than Cain Velasquez. he at least defended his title twice. I wonder if brock will finally get credit from the mma hardcore if he beats overeem in a few weeks?

Heel

yacobod said:
you know what's funny in retrospect. Brock Lesnar was a better UFC champion than Cain Velasquez. he at least defended his title twice. I wonder if brock will finally get credit from the mma hardcore if he beats overeem in a few weeks?
2r4oflt.jpg

I fully expect Cain to regain the title at some point in the next few years. Brock...not so much.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't see Cain getting the belt back. Overcoming the new #1 all time heavyweight, Junior dos Santos, is too much for Cain I believe.

yacobod

Banned
I'm not writing Cain off in the future because he's a young guy with a bright future. Maybe he needs to visit with a sports psychologist to find his inner GSP and learn to shoot for takedowns ASAP against strikers.

CaptYamato said:
I HOPE THE BEARS GET CANCELLED!

front running lakers fans have the perfect champion to follow GSP!

Heel

Chamber said:
I don't see Cain getting the belt back. Overcoming the new #1 all time heavyweight, Junior dos Santos, is too much for Cain I believe.

I honestly believe the #2 Heavyweight of All Time has much more to offer in a rematch down the road.

That said, the #1 Heavyweight of All Time is now 8-0 in the UFC, and has never lost a round. What a storied career this journeyman has had.

Creamwolf

Neo Member
JDS, is so nasty. There's no striker in MMA that can hang with him and up to this point he's fought top notch wrestlers and dominated them with his take down defense. Hell, after he Carwin through the Meat Grinder, JDs was taking him down.

With that said, Cain is the only guy atm I can see giving JDS a good fight. He looked like he was rusty which makes sense due to having fought since his injury. JDS will destroy Brock. Cain will beat whoever they pair him up against and the re-match will go much longer than the first go around.

Congrats to JDS. He's a monster and always puts up an entertaining bout, can't wait for his future title defenses.

dream

yacobod said:
we need to go mainstream like the ufc with hopes of one day getting a sticky :)

I kind of agree with my good friend yacobod...

Did you guys see the new people that showed up on Saturday talking about how sloppy Cain and JDS' striking was (?), how nobody should ever be dropped by a punch to the temple (??) and how boxing is a better sport to watch (???)?

edit: WOW I QUOTED THE WRONG POST

Chamber said:
I like our small community. Change scares me.

I meant I agree with my nemesis and MMA purist Chamber.

dream

I saw Ninja Scooter rhetorically ask if Wayne Gretzky would dominate the NBA and I feel like I have nothing I can contribute on top of that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yacobod said:
Pretty remarkable that MMA Legend Mirko CroCop gave JDS his toughest fight inside the Octagon to date.
That fight was embarassing. Classic New Cro Cop. "Uh my eye hurts. Can I stop fighting now?" Roy was the only guy to pop JDS in his UFC run. Especially in the later rounds.

I skimmed the 1st page of the Tyson thread and stopped reading. It's Dana's job to educate the masses.

The thing with mma is that every guy imagines that he would be able to handle himself in a real fight, so every guy thinks he's an expert.

yacobod

Banned
As bad as the tyson thread is it doesn't even approach the stupidity of a bruce lee thread, who apparantley would beatup everyone.

yacobod

Banned
parrotbeak said:
It's Dana's job to educate the masses.
I hope they keep Dana far away from future telecasts, unless he fully embraces his inner Vinnie Mac.

I know dream mentioned it, but was the Cain/JDS thread that bad here on GAF with new people posting? I didn't watch the fight live so I wasn't live blogging during the event like usual.

yacobod said:
I hope they keep Dana far away from future telecasts, unless he fully embraces his inner Vinnie Mac.

I know dream mentioned it, but was the Cain/JDS thread that bad here on GAF with new people posting? I didn't watch the fight live so I wasn't live blogging during the event like usual.
I went to a friend's to watch so I wasn't online but I think I may have read something about how Cain has no chin because people get hit in boxing like that all the time and are fine. And someone may have been screaming that the ref stopped it too early. Oh wait, that was Uncle Dana.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:

The Cain/JDS thread was mostly the regulars. I think I'm just bothered by that Tyson thread tbh.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
The Cain/JDS thread was mostly the regulars. I think I'm just bothered by that Tyson thread tbh.
Ya, I submitted my opinion on the first page and never looked at that thread again. Threads like that are about as valid as shit like GOKU vs SUPERMAN. why bother.

yacobod said:
Ya, I submitted my opinion on the first page and never looked at that thread again. Threads like that are about as valid as shit like GOKU vs SUPERMAN. why bother.

This means you missed the greatest post ever written about Tyson ever.

yacobod

Banned
I think Frankie Edgar vs Ben Henderson would be like the perfect fight to do on the 2nd Fox card. Guaranteed to go at least 3 or 4 rounds. A lot of skill and technique will be on display. Should feature all facets of the game, and should be pretty exciting to boot.

What say you potential matchmakers? What would you do if you were booking the next Fox card?

Heel

Hahaha I just read the Mike Tyson thread. Clearly this sport has a ways to go before the answer is as clear as some of the other sport-to-sport comparisons in the thread. At least MMA is to the point of being recognized as an actual sport and not barbarianism (for the most part, anyway...looking at you New York).

People should realize someone "developing a sprawl" isn't getting you very far in modern MMA, nor is it a simple proposition. It's like asking someone from MMA to "develop footwork" and beat Mayweather.

Heel

yacobod said:
I think Frankie Edgar vs Ben Henderson would be like the perfect fight to do on the 2nd Fox card. Guaranteed to go at least 3 or 4 rounds. A lot of skill and technique will be on display. Should feature all facets of the game, and should be pretty exciting to boot.

What say you potential matchmakers? What would you do if you were booking the next Fox card?

I'll have to ponder my fantasy booking for a bit. I like the idea of that fight being on there though.

I read Goldie mentioned somewhere that the next Fox card is going to be 2 1/2 hours.

sien916 said:
I'll have to ponder my fantasy booking for a bit. I like the idea of that fight being on there though.

I read Goldie mentioned somewhere that the next Fox card is going to be 2 1/2 hours.

30 mins BS and two hours of fights. Sounds good to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:

That's a great choice. Expose Edgar to a bigger crowd than what he can currently draw on PPV plus the risk of that fight being boring is pretty much nil.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
This means you missed the greatest post ever written about Tyson ever.
you referring to the ether posted by JasonUresti? That was pretty good. People are blinded by the Tyson hype train.

I'm not a big of boxing, but I'm glad I DVR'd the HBO Thrilla in Manila documentary last night. Awesome sports doc.

yacobod said:
you referring to the ether posted by JasonUresti? That was pretty good. People are blinded by the Tyson hype train.

I'm not a big of boxing, but I'm glad I DVR'd the HBO Thrilla in Manila documentary last night. Awesome sports doc.

No son, this one:

Kastrioti said:
Tyson was not overrated. He is up in there in the Top 5 boxers of all time.

This thread really is the epitemy of boxing vs. UFC. To me boxing is the purest form of fighting. When you get in a street fight I highly doubt you and the other dude are going to be on the ground grappling for 5 hours.

Its punches being thrown and Tyson is one of the best there ever has been. He would knock out a UFC fighter in the octagon easy. Fuck all these "different rules" bullshit, Tyson is/was a better fighter.

sien916 said:
To anyone wondering where our good friend poly has been, I think I've figured it out.

POLY, NO!
Haha, I saw that on tv and wondered what that was about.

I know this will not go over well here but if UFC wants mainstream appeal I think GSP Diaz would be fascinating to a general audience. Could be an hour of behind the scenes and a 30 minute fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You can't trust Diaz on national tv. That's already proven.

I don't think you'll be seeing Anderson on FOX either for similar reasons.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
I'd put Pettis vs. Lauzon on FOX

I think that would be a good fight, but I don't think it has the right star power to headline the event on Fox. Unless we're talking about a Fuel TV card.

I think my second choice for Fox 2 would be Jose Aldo/Chad Mendes. I'm sticking to the lower weight classes because they have a harder time drawing the PPV numbers anyways, so it would be a good move on the UFC's part to market and push these guys for future PPV buys.

Boogie

yacobod said:

Yeah, Edgar/Henderson would be gold for a Fox event. Too bad it's already slated for UFC Japan.

Heel

yacobod said:
I think that would be a good fight, but I don't think it has the right star power to headline the event on Fox. Unless we're talking about a Fuel TV card.

I think my second choice for Fox 2 would be Jose Aldo/Chad Mendes. I'm sticking to the lower weight classes because they have a harder time drawing the PPV numbers anyways, so it would be a good move on the UFC's part to market and push these guys for future PPV buys.

Basing it on the scheduling of fighters and the fact that it's reportedly going to be 2.5 hours. That's one that'd make sense to me. Definitely not a headliner...I'd stick with your Edgar vs. Bendo idea for that.

Top Bottom