• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber said:
I wonder if Evans and Davis can be ready by then.
I don't know anything about either of their personal backgrounds, but they both seem vanilla enough for what UFC seems to want on these fighter bios on Fox.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Edgar/Bendo is confirmed for Japan. If the next show is really Jan. 28th, I don't think they'll have a title match ready.

I was never sold on Cain, hell I think Kongo can take him in a rematch. Noway he can take JDS ever. JDS sees the take down miles away and I am sure he trains for it. Lesnar would have stood no chance with his predictable take down attempts after getting tagged. I totally expect Overeem to be prepared for the take down. He will see is from a mile away.

I find it hilarious how people were saying that Cain was the best HW of all time because he beat a Zombie Nog, Kongo, Lesnar and 6 other cans but say Fedor is overrated with his 32 wins over prime x3Nog, prime Cro Cop, Coleman, Herring, AA and Sylvia.

Heel

Host Samurai said:
I find it hilarious how people were saying that Cain was the best HW of all time because he beat a Zombie Nog, Kongo, Lesnar and 6 other cans but say Fedor is overrated with his 32 wins over prime x3Nog, prime Cro Cop, Coleman, Herring, AA and Sylvia.

Maybe it's my inner-fencerider talking, but I think the ebb and flow of MMA opinion is hilarious. You can go from unstoppable god-tier to tomato can status overnight. JDS could easily be the next victim.

The way people turn the same way on our legends is disgraceful, though.

dream said:
In Sugar Cain's defense, he had a legendary reputation in the gym.

That means nothing with only 9 professional wins, 6/7 of those wins were lower/mid tier fighters, Zombie Nog and Lesnar, who he was actually loosing against till he hit him. Cain's not touching that title again and I think Lesnar takes the rematch if he doesn't bull rush into the fight.

Heel

dream said:
In Sugar Cain's defense, he had a legendary reputation in the gym.

AKA is clearly doing something right. Cormier developed hands out of no where. I wonder how much of this is a credit to Cain? Sadly, if Cormier loses to Barnett he will be back to tomato can status in the eyes of many.

Really psyched. Going to UFC 139, first one I've been to. Such a stacked card, will definitely be there by the first preliminary fight. Last two fights might total 2min combined but those will be two very glorious minutes.

yacobod

Banned
well i remember when Cain was lovingly referred to as pillow hands before he finished zombie nog and brockzilla. hell i was one of the ppl calling him that.

yacobod said:
well i remember when Cain was lovingly referred to as pillow hands before he finished zombie nog and brockzilla. hell i was one of the ppl calling him that.

That I never understood. To his credit he beat the shit of of Big Ben and bloodied him.

Host Samurai said:
That I never understood. To his credit he beat the shit of of Big Ben and bloodied him.
Rothwell was getting up when the fight was stopped. He said later that Cain doesn't hit nearly as hard a others he's fought like Arlovski. Even Javier Mendez has said that he doesn't really have a lot of natural power like some other big hitters (which showed in earlier fights) but he has developed the technique recently to finally generate it. So it was a perfectly valid observation.

yacobod

Banned
It's funny because Arlovski stopped both Rothwell and Big Country before they came to the UFC. Nelson ate everything that JDS could throw at him in there fight, dude has a solid chin.

What a terribly flawed fighter Arlovski was, great offensively with a porcelain chin in the heavyweight division is a terrible flaw. He's like the Goulet of HW.

yacobod said:
It's funny because Arlovski stopped both Rothwell and Big Country before they came to the UFC. Nelson ate everything that JDS could throw at him in there fight, dude has a solid chin.

What a terribly flawed fighter Arlovski was, great offensively with a porcelain chin in the heavyweight division is a terrible flaw. He's like the Goulet of HW.

Arlovski simply was never that good IMO. Once he left the UFC it really showed with the better competition he faced. Just shows you how much better the Pride HW division was at the time of his UFC run by getting smashed by Sergei and Fedor in the first 2 minutes of the first round.

charsace

yacobod said:

Arlovski's biggest problems are mental imo. He just doesn't have confidence anymore.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
charsace said:
Arlovski's biggest problems are mental imo. He just doesn't have confidence anymore.

That and his weakness to gentle breezes in the general direction of his face.

Heel

The Wall Street Journal: UFC Wants To Express Itself In New York

The Ultimate Fighting Championship, the sport’s largest promoter, is suing to overturn New York’s ban on live bouts, saying the 1997 law runs roughshod over its freedom of expression, a novel argument that likens MMA to live ballet, music or theater.

Zuffa LLC, which owns the UFC, filed a lawsuit Tuesday in U.S. district court against New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. seeking a declaration that the ban violates the First Amendment.

I'm not so sure this is the right way to approach things. But hey, what do I know?

pr0cs

sien916 said:
I'm not so sure this is the right way to approach things. But hey, what do I know?
They've tried the right way for several years now and every year it gets paralyzed by red tape, other agendas and lobbying.

This is an interesting way to try to force the politicians hand.
It's ridiculous that MMA is still illegal there.

charsace said:
He almost lost to that can at the latest ProElite. It was kind of sad. I hope he can miraculously make a comeback but its not looking like that's gonna happen even with Jackson in his corner.

Heel

pr0cs said:
They've tried the right way for several years now and every year it gets paralyzed by red tape, other agendas and lobbying.

This is an interesting way to try to force the politicians hand.
It's ridiculous that MMA is still illegal there.

Just thinking that if this lawsuit fails, does the red tape get even thicker? If it has no bearing on their current efforts to do it "the right way" then I say have at it.

Heel

CUNG LE -145
WANDERLEI SILVA +115

Dsa7B.png

pr0cs

sien916 said:
Just thinking that if this lawsuit fails, does the red tape get even thicker? If it has no bearing on their current efforts to do it "the right way" then I say have at it.
Not really, it's a judgement call if the current lawsuit makes sense, it is rather broad.
Bloody Elbow's commentary this morning was pretty interesting what with fighters and even bloggers getting in on the suit as well.

Chamber said:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312682_287342147972395_107124435994168_951676_675212785_n.jpg

Kenny Florian, you son of a bitch!
Kenny's moving to women's mma? Guess he can't make 135.

yacobod

Banned
parrotbeak said:
Kenny's moving to women's mma? Guess he can't make 135.

and he still won't be able to win the belt, cyborg would finish him lol.

AND FUCK IT, i'm gonna lay money on mma legend wanderlei silva. maybe seeing an asian opponent across from him in the octagon will give him pride flashbacks.

yacobod said:
and he still won't be able to win the belt, cyborg would finish him lol.

AND FUCK IT, i'm gonna lay money on mma legend wanderlei silva. maybe seeing an asian opponent across from him in the octagon will give him pride flashbacks.
I'm doing the same thing.

dream

who the goddamn shit are "Erik Koch" and "Dustin Poirier" and how are two joes I've never heard of fighting for the #1 contender spot?

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
who the goddamn shit are "Erik Koch" and "Dustin Poirier" and how are two joes I've never heard of fighting for the #1 contender spot?

what do you expect, 135# and 145# are shallow divisions. Middle and Heavy are stacked by comparisons. Neither division is ready for the big show. In 2 or 3 years they should be better.

dream

Oh I guess I should have clarified that those two joes are fighting for the #1 contender spot in the Ultimate, not in like Legacy Fighting Challenge or some other bush league midwest promotion where guys named "Erik Koch" and "Dustin Poirier" are top contenders.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
Oh I guess I should have clarified that those two joes are fighting for the #1 contender spot in the Ultimate, not in like Legacy Fighting Challenge or some other bush league midwest promotion where guys named "Erik Koch" and "Dustin Poirier" are top contenders.

oh i googled searched these guys before i made my previous post. my point still stands tho, the lower weight classes are woefully underdeveloped. Fucking Miguel Angel Torres was #4 p4p not too long ago feasting on bums in a weak weight class.

ShaneB

dream said:

Eric Koch has had some impressive fights and finishes. he'll be fun to watch, and Dustin Poirier did his part this past weekend by beating Garza. Should be a good fight.

dream

yacobod said:
oh i googled searched these guys before i made my previous post. my point still stands tho, the lower weight classes are woefully underdeveloped. Fucking Miguel Angel Torres was #4 p4p not too long ago feasting on bums in a weak weight class.

I agree with you, my good friend.

The worst is when people campaign for 125 and 115 lb weight classes. Nobody wants to see midgets and children fight. Didn't some British promotion just get in shit for staging kid fights?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
what do you expect, 135# and 145# are shallow divisions. Middle and Heavy are stacked by comparisons. Neither division is ready for the big show. In 2 or 3 years they should be better.
Just because dream doesn't know any FW besides Aldo doesn't mean that division is shallow.

Top Bottom