• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

I think you gentlemen should spend less time complaining and educate yourselves. Did you not watch the WEC? dream wondering who Renan Barao and Brad Pickett were a few months ago was a little disheartening. I guess it's the UFC's fault for relegating the lighter weight classes to the prelims. Most fans aren't really up to speed on 135/45 contenders, so they can't be used to sell PPVs on the main card (unless they're named Urijah). What a vicious cycle. I guess putting the 135 title fight out for free and featuring them on Fight Night's etc. will help with that in the long run.

Koch and Poirier are both young prospects worthy of your attention. Go back and watch their recent fights and you'll understand.

As for the kids fighting, I'm not hip to that particular tomato can league. Sorry!

dream

I watched and loved every WEC show but you have to admit there was a certain sameness and parity to every lighter weight fighter on their roster. What's the difference between Scott Jorgenson and Bartimus other than hair dye and pigmentation?

(legit have no idea who "Barao" is, though. don't even remember asking about him, though I'm positive I must have at some point)

Heel

dream said:
I watched and loved every WEC show but you have to admit there was a certain sameness and parity to every lighter weight fighter on their roster. What's the difference between Scott Jorgenson and Bartimus other than hair dye and pigmentation?

You know what solves all of this? Personality.

dream said:
(legit have no idea who "Barao" is, though. don't even remember asking about him, though I'm positive I must have at some point)

He won fight of the night a week or two ago.

Ninja Scooter said:
Why? Did someone request a list of Fedor's crushed cans?
CjXPE.gif

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
yacobod said:
and he still won't be able to win the belt, cyborg would finish him lol.

AND FUCK IT, i'm gonna lay money on mma legend wanderlei silva. maybe seeing an asian opponent across from him in the octagon will give him pride flashbacks.
People still think Wandy is goIng to knock someone out? He's like Chuck with the glass jaw now. I think this weekend will be historic because it should be the last time Cung Le is the favorite in a UFC match.

yacobod

Banned
Eggo said:
Bas gives GG's side of the story in the Ubereem falling out and I feel bad for them.

Some quotes and a link to help you out friend:

Bas Rutten said:
Oh no, you didn't go there! (laughs) i thought that if nobody asks, i won't say anything, but now that you ask me i have to! It's been bothering me a lot! Ok, here i go.

It's a money thing. He simply doesn't want to pay the people who made him. When he lost three fights in a row...well, like pretty much 5, i mean, he lost, won, lost three times in a row, won, and lost again...and nobody wanted to have him.

But his management kept pushing and using the power that they have because they have other great fighters. Like, for example [they would say]: "if you want semmy schilt to fight, then you have to take alistair as well."

it's funny how fighters think. When it goes bad with them, their team is everything to them, and they love their team. In interviews after they win a fight, they say: "i owe everything to my team". Then when the management starts to put great fights together for them, directing their careers and the fighter gets better and better, some of them simply can't handle it, and it gets to their head.

I had a bad feeling already when he called himself, after he won the k-1 grand prix, a "legend". He actually said in an interview right after he won: "i am a legend now". I don't think a fighter can ever make that comment about himself.

And talking about the grand prix, let's face it, he had a great deal of luck as well there. He fought peter aerts who had a war with semmy schilt [previously that night] and was completely banged up, and then he fought [gokhan] saki, who had a broken arm and hand, in the finals! At that moment when you win, you should say: "i'm very happy with the result, the stars were in line for me tonight, i also got a little bit of luck". Because everybody is going to say that about you anyway, you might as well simply say it yourself to keep the people respecting you, but not: "i'm a legend".

Of course, i see it too many times. I know what golden glory did for him. He couldn't punch or kick when he came to them, and i mean, he couldn't punch or kick! Some fighters get big and then forget who was fighting for them when they were losing. Two months ago, he wanted to make a belt for the golden glory team with "for champion management" engraved on it. Those were his words after they made this huge contract for him, and now he says they are morons? He used them to negotiate the best deal and when they did it, now suddenly they are morons? Explain that to me. It's unreal.

Also, a few months ago, when they started to get close to a good deal with the ufc, he realized that he could make a lot of money. The first thing he did was go to cor hemmers, his striking coach, and tried to renegotiate the 10% trainer's fee.

Jake.

i will possibly be at the japanese UFC card - last time i was in japan (2009) i tried to go to a dream card but it didn't line up. would be dope.

Prince

Eggo said:
Bas gives GG's side of the story in the Ubereem falling out and I feel bad for them.

I visit the Dutch Mixfight forum and since the breakup there have been a couple of topics and posts from Golden Glory people and the seem real pissed off.
They are acting really childish and unprofessional and dig up old rumors and also all kinds of personal stuff about Alistair get thrown out there.

MjFrancis

Chamber said:
Just because dream doesn't know any FW besides Aldo doesn't mean that division is shallow.
Featherweight is stacked just not as deep as lightweight. But hell, no other division is as competitive as lightweight, so that's one hell of a benchmark to live up to. LW only got better with the WEC merger; Donald Cerrone, Ben Henderson, Anthony Pettis - hell even guys like Bart Palaszewski thicken up the middle-tier well and good.

People perceive featherweight to be a shallow division when a supposed number two FW Hatsu Hioki can barely scrape by on a split decision on George Roop when introduced to the UFC. George Roop isn't even a Top 10 on anyone's list.

Putting Hioki over Chad Mendes is fucking ridiculous, bottom line. If Mendes wasn't up against Aldo in January I'd bet a Mendes/Hioki bout would end with a RD1 sub for Chad and everyone would forget who he was overnight.

Spike to air its own weekly MMA news show next year. Hopefully its better than Inside MMA which isn't bad per se but there's something about it that makes me never want to watch it.

AiTM

Banned
Maklershed said:
Spike to air its own weekly MMA news show next year. Hopefully its better than Inside MMA which isn't bad per se but there's something about it that makes me never want to watch it.

I was really starting to like Inside MMA and MMA Live...Bas and Kenny were starting to get into a groove and was becoming less awkward, and felt more comfortable. And MMA Live was great with Jon Anik. (Even tho ESPN treats MMA like its fat abused step child, always starting it late and bumping it).

But then Inside MMA went live and now every episode you have the awkward satellite interviews where you have to wait 7 seconds for every answer, and then Jon Anik left MMA Live.

AiTM

Banned
God please dont. Its like E3 having a hot model interview some nerd developer. The only time I want to see a hot woman fake interest in something is during sex.

pr0cs

Maklershed said:
Unless its Gina or Britney that would be an instant no watch for me.
QFT.

Perez is good looking but listening to her talk (esp off-the-cuff) about MMA is so bad.

"How excited are you to be in the new UFC game and Pride mode?"

"So Excited!"

bah.

Balehead

yacobod said:
Thank you for posting this. What a read, gives a completely different image of Overeem. Who knows what the real truth is, but that's definitely something to consider. I'd suggest people to give atleast the second half a look!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yes, it IS about time about for the usual "Shogun's knee just got blown off by dynamite!" type of rumors to start floating around.

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:

Wasn't Bas the one earlier this year saying it's ridiculous and unheard of for a fighter to pay a training camp? Now, he's saying the exact opposite. I love Bas, but that's pretty ridiculous. Also him pointing out they used their power to get Overeem on the card, or no one on the card, is the kind of shit I hate that goes on often in boxing, and UFC wouldn't put up with when GG tried to pull that shit and they ended up in this situation because of that. Not shedding a tear for them there, they tried a power play and got their asses burned.

Saw this on tatame, Anderson apparently accepted Sonnen's challenge, with one condition:

I don't like this guy. Wanna fight me? Let's go to Brazil. No problem.... Chael talks too much. I'm ready to fight him. Go to Brazil [if you want to] fight me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Anderson and Chael will fight when and where Uncle Dana tells them to. I don't know why they're pretending otherwise.

ShaneB

BigJonsson said:
I can't stand Michael Landsberg anymore, dunno if I actually want to watch the interview........but now I'm hoping Chael and Anderson knock each other out

I thought it was hilarious. Landsberg always seemed like a dufus. He always asks questions to things he already knows and gets all weird when his guests don't give him the answer he was expecting.

Chael basically calls him out and wonders what the heck Landsberg is talking about and getting things wrong. lol But he does dis Canada, so boo to that.

Fifty

...Watched UFC 139 Countdown. Pretty bad, even by their standards. Does anyone really think (Pride fanboys excluded) that Rua would have a chance in a rematch against JBJ?

I don't want to see the winner of this fight against the champ. Rashad versus Bones is the only good post-140 fight out there.

does anyone know if TUF is always shot in 60fps? i don't watch it on the original channel but this week it definitely was 60fps and it was always 30fps before.

yacobod

Banned
Fifty said:
Rashad versus Bones is the only good post-140 fight out there.

not really. rashad can't stay healthy, he has a limited skill set, and he's too small. what the fuck does he have for the champ? he doesn't have the wrestling, striking, or gas tank to win that fight.

yacobod

Banned
Rashad had a hard time keeping mike bisping on the ground, how's he going to lnp jbj? rashad's the most overrated guy ever at 205#.

Top Bottom