• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Ya, both mma calenders I had subscribed to on Google Calendar seem to be inactive. But I haven't bothered looking for another source since I have this thread.

DKehoe

Looks the biggest I have seen him

f5d06.jpg

yacobod

Banned
i just don't think he really gives a fuck. he's obviously not training very much anymore and must be content to be at home with his family. he's collecting his money.

if he really wanted to compete, i think he could have easily decided to cut weight to 205 lbs, he's got enough body fat that I don't think the cut would be that hard for him with proper exercise and nutrition. and i think he has everything it takes to be successful at 205 lbs. he could recreate dan henderson's kind of run at lhw.

MjFrancis

sien916 said:
There really should be a site that keeps a schedule of all the combat sports on tv, internet streams, etc...
This thread's been that site for me, lol. If it's not here, I'll usually search for something on Wikipedia, like if I want to know more about a particular fighter.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've never bothered watching a Mariusz Pudzianowski fight, but it appears like he's dropped 40 pounds in the past few years or so. Is he given so much shit because training for strongman competitions is so divorced from MMA training, as his career has so aptly demonstrated?

I think it's because people just don't take him seriously as an MMA fighter because of, like you said, his strongman history. A lot of people just treat him as a bit of a spectacle, with a "is he serious about this?" mindset.

Pudzian claims to have a boxing and karate background, but it is hard to shake the feeling that his MMA career is all about publicity, considering that he's only fought once outside of Poland and all, and most of his fights appear to be built around the "spectacle" of seeing two huge guys lay into each other.

His first fight was against a 205er and since then he's looked pretty bad. He just doesn't look like he has the gas tank or skill to be in the spotlight, and he doesn't even have the youtube backyard fighting creds that Kimbo had. Losing to Timmah in a promotion called Moosin' doesn't help his reputation.

I would have thought that losing to James Thompson would kill anyone's career in MMA.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Smh @ those Fedor pics. I'm crying on the inside.

Doesn't seem like Rampage will be on the Japan card so I think QRJ/Forrest is pretty likely for the Fox show. Can't imagine Uncle Dana would have any interest in booking QRJ/Rashad 2, especially for network television.

Heel

Strikeforce Challengers was a beautiful card last night. Find a way to see it if you didn't catch it. Seriously one of the best Strikeforce cards this year.

Strikeforce Challengers was a beautiful card last night. Find a way to see it if you didn't catch it. Seriously one of the best Strikeforce cards this year.

Ha fucking figures. I finally get rid of Showtime because they only thing I watch on it is Strikeforce and the past challengers have been snoozefests and now they have a good one. :(

Heel

Ha fucking figures. I finally get rid of Showtime because they only thing I watch on it is Strikeforce and the past challengers have been snoozefests and now they have a good one. :(

Yeah I can't even think of a Challengers card I actually enjoyed top-to-bottom but this one was wild.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I didn't even know Strikeforce still ran Challenger cards. I stopped watching them a while a go since they were dreadful. Oh well, it'll all be moot in 3 months when Strikeforce is folded into the UFC

charsace

Yes. Challengers was great last night. Amagov looks like he could be a competitor at 205. And the woman's match featured a sick grappler.

OG Kush

Anyone watch The Ultimate fighet here? I've been getting into MMA from watching this new season and listening to the Joe Rogan Podcast for the past 12 months. I'm still pretty new to it and only understand the basics but I enjoy it.

DKehoe

Anyone watch The Ultimate fighet here? I've been getting into MMA from watching this new season and listening to the Joe Rogan Podcast for the past 12 months. I'm still pretty new to it and only understand the basics but I enjoy it.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about MMA. You can also probably get some recommendations of past great fights to check out.

ShaneB

You'll get mixed responses in regards to TUF, but it's how I got into the sport, and it's no doubt a great introduction. Sure you'll get some ridiculous house antics and all that, but you get to know some personalities and you root for guys and it's more than just guys fighting. I believe you can watch all the seasons online at the official site.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about MMA. You can also probably get some recommendations of past great fights to check out.

Bellator put the entire Eddie Alvarez vs. Mike Chandler fight up on youtube. Definitely worth watching, great fight.

Here's a great recommendation for you OG Kush. I didn't get to watch this live last night, but glad to check it out now, what a battle!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Love the way Bellator uses youtube.

So is Alvarez still locked into his Bellator contract?

I'd like to see Alvarez vs Maynard
He's not bound by the champions clause anymore but I don't think Alvarez wants any part of the UFC.

Top Bottom