• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

y2dvd

Finally saw the ME. Great fight! Sad to see Shogun lose but man what a chin. I still say Edgar v Maynard II is my FOTY. I rewatched it and it's amazing how bouncy Frankie was until the end after absorbing all of that punishment. Shogun and Henderson was gassed by round 3.

AiTM

Banned
Its hard to call anyone a loser in that fight, If ever a fight deserved a draw, it was Shogun/ Hendo. 3 rounds for Hendo, last two for Shogun with a 10-8.

dream

QRJ vs King Mo will be Rashad vs QRJ 2012. A fight we all expect to be amazing because of the personalities, promos, and blackleticism that turns into 3 rounds of cuddling.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not sure I like using the word gassed to describe Shogun and Hendo in that fight. Rua got the hell beat of him for 3 rounds and Hendo was in Walking Dead mode for the rest of the fight after Shogun landed that uppercut. Cardio didn't have much to do with it.

Edgar is a little machine but Gray basically stopped him attacking him in the 2nd round of both fights.

yacobod

Banned
Not sure I like using the word gassed to describe Shogun and Hendo in that fight. Rua got the hell beat of him for 3 rounds and Hendo was in Walking Dead mode for the rest of the fight after Shogun landed that uppercut. Cardio didn't have much to do with it.

i love both fighters, but they were both visibily gassed by the end of the first round. by the end of the 3rd they were the walking dead. shogun showed up to this fight in probably the worst shape in his ufc career. hendo's never had a good gas tank.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
i3kmDcGV5AR9M.gif
i4s7GFcrzdN4C.gif

Any other guy at 205 is looking up at the lights and asking the ref if he won after those shots. I don't know how much pep in your step you can have at that point.

Not saying either guy is a cardio machine but their problems were definitely exasperated a lot by how heavy those punches were.

agrajag

Banned
But why did Shogun get hit with that overhand right that Hendo is FAMOUS for time after time? It's like they never watched a Hendo fight in his camp. Shogun looked very slow from the beginning of the fight. :(

AiTM

Banned
Take it for what its worth, but Bas Rutten said on his show that Hendo had a horrible cold going into the fight.

yacobod

Banned
Take it for what its worth, but Bas Rutten said on his show that Hendo had a horrible cold going into the fight.

Ya I read that too, I'm not criticizing the fight though, both guys being so gassed out and hurt only added to the drama in the later frames imo. Like if shogun had better cardio he would have finished dan in the 4th or 5th round. His punches had nothing on them in the 5th round and I don't think he was strong enough to secure a submission either. He could've ended it in the 4th round as well when he had his back. Henderson was running on fumes after he punched himself out in the 3rd.

It's not like shogun doesn't have a history of gassing out in fights, see the first Forrest fight (which was fought at a torrid pace), and his abysmal performance against the corpse of Mark Coleman.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
But why did Shogun get hit with that overhand right that Hendo is FAMOUS for time after time? It's like they never watched a Hendo fight in his camp. Shogun looked very slow from the beginning of the fight. :(

I did not like Shogun's gameplan at all. Hendo has no desire to take the fight to the ground so I don't know why he was hesitant with his kicks.

dream

If you were a professional MMA journalist, would you juice so that you look like a fighter when you're covering events?

iddqd

was there any talk why shogun looked a bit "doughy"?
just because of training in brazil (too comfortable) or was there something else?

yacobod

Banned
If you were a professional MMA journalist, would you juice so that you look like a fighter when you're covering events?

Yes, but I'd want to juice so I could be more like Uncle Dana or Vinnie Mac.

Follow up question:

Would you get unsightly tatoos in poor taste all over your body so that you look more like a fighter when you're covering events? If you are afraid of needles, you could substitute the real thing for Affliction or similar T-shirts. What say you?

dream

Oh man, what an awesome Titoism on Inside MMA.

"Can I get another win? yes. Will it be against Nog? 100% Will it happen in Toronto? Only time will tell..."

I love it when his brain and his tongue conspire against him to make him sound like an idiot.

Reminds me of when I wrestled during high school and was in a smaller weight class so I got to roll with the girls during practice sometimes

I did not mind being a guinea pig for them to practice on....

dream

Am I to understand that Ace called out Tito? That's so sad. Ace has his teaching degree to fall back on too, so I don't know why he's so desperate to stay relevant.

AiTM

Banned
Am I to understand that Ace called out Tito? That's so sad. Ace has his teaching degree to fall back on too, so I don't know why he's so desperate to stay relevant.

who the fuck wants to teach for 8 months for 45k when he can do double that or more plus sponsorship money for one fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
who the fuck wants to teach for 8 months for 45k when he can do double that or more plus sponsorship money for one fight.

Yeah, wasn't Ace whining about fighter pay a few weeks ago? You can be sure that dude wants no part of a teacher salary.

OMG, Chamber wasn't kidding about Young Melvin vs Jim Miller

It's a great match-up, Miller's non-personality aside.

rvy

Banned
Oh man, what an awesome Titoism on Inside MMA.

"Can I get another win? yes. Will it be against Nog? 100% Will it happen in Toronto? Only time will tell..."

I love it when his brain and his tongue conspire against him to make him sound like an idiot.

Every time he opens his mouth then.

yacobod

Banned
Sherdog updated their top 10 p4p rankings:

1. anderson silva
2. gsp
3. jbj
4. frankie edgar
5. jose aldo
6. dan henderson
7. jon fitch
8. dominik cruz
9. gil melendez
10. shogun rua

I'm surprised of no JDS and the inclusion of Shogun on the list.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still waiting for an explanation on how they choose those rankings. I would always rank fighters who fight in multiple weight classes as the best in the lists.

ScOULaris

1. anderson silva
2. gsp
3. jbj
4. frankie edgar
5. jose aldo
6. dan henderson
7. jon fitch
8. dominik cruz
9. gil melendez
10. shogun rua

Jesus. What does JDS have to do to get some respect these days? He's destroyed mostly top competition since he stepped foot in the UFC, and he just knocked out the previous #1 heavyweight in the first round to secure the belt. Even Dana hasn't given him credit where it's due. Pissing me off.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Jesus. What does JDS have to do to get some respect these days? He's destroyed mostly top competition since he stepped foot in the UFC, and he just knocked out the previous #1 heavyweight in the first round to secure the belt. Even Dana hasn't given him credit where it's due. Pissing me off.

Yea it's pretty crazy. He's a bad mofo.

1. anderson silva
2. gsp
3. jbj
4. frankie edgar
5. jose aldo
6. dan henderson
7. jon fitch
8. dominik cruz
9. gil melendez
10. shogun rua

Replace JBJ with JDS.

ldcommando

Banned
Answer me something, mma-gaf:
Can Mayhem beat bisping? I´m not familiar with his skills so I have no idea. It will be annoying as hell to watch an entire season of tuf with bisping as a coach and not see him get destroyed afterwards like the last time. (thank you for that, hendo)

dream

Answer me something, mma-gaf:
Can Mayhem beat bisping? I´m not familiar with his skills so I have no idea. It will be annoying as hell to watch an entire season of tuf with bisping as a coach and not see him get destroyed afterwards like the last time. (thank you for that, hendo)
Yep

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I just finished watching the Hendo/Shogun fight and I have to say I was upset by the decision. I felt the first round had very up and down moments and Shogun took momentum at one point by clipping Hendo with a right hand that hurt him.

The 4th and 5th rounds are borderline 10-8 rounds, in the 4th Shogun comes close to finishing the fight with his hands, then gets a big takedown does some work off it. In the 5th it is just Shogun all round, full mount and leaving it all in the octagon.

Tough for me to see Hendo as the winner, was Cecil Peoples on this bitch?

Top Bottom