• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Now that they have 5 round main events do they really need to dick about with this interim title horseshit?

He's going to be out for close to a year so going with an Interim title is understandable.

parasight

Wow. Really bummed for GSP. A blown ACL is a serious injury. Chances are he won't ever be 100% again. But GSP is a super athlete, so it'll be interested to see if he has the ability to come back from it.

We may not get to see GSP/Diaz after all, because I think Condit has a really good shot of beating Diaz.

Heel

What are they going to do at 170 in the meantime? 10 months is a long time.

UFC mentality: The Conduit vs. Diaz winner should sit around for 8 months. We'll figure it out after that!

parasight

What are they going to do at 170 in the meantime? 10 months is a long time.

UFC mentality: The Conduit vs. Diaz winner should sit around for 8 months. We'll figure it out after that!

Probably Ellenberger next if he beats Diego.

Also, I'd like to see Rory take on Koscheck if he's ready by then.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wow. Really bummed for GSP. A blown ACL is a serious injury. Chances are he won't ever be 100% again.

Neither will my broken soul.

1YZeC.gif

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Fuuuuuuuck torn ACL, shit man that's pretty much the worse kind of knee injury you can have. So many football and basketball players have never been the same afterward but there are some instances of guys coming back well from it (most recent that comes to mind is Wes Welker). Get well, GSP. Even though I've turned on him I don't want to see a great athlete's career cut short.

As for Condit vs Diaz:

Condit 26 finishes in 27 wins, perfect 13-13 ko/sub split.
Diaz 24 finishes in 27 wins (yes the Gomi gogo counts fuck the NSAC), 13 ko/9 sub.

Fight of the year? Fight of the year.

Heel

Probably Ellenberger next if he beats Diego.

Also, I'd like to see Rory take on Koscheck if he's ready by then.

Fitch/Hendricks would probably be in the mix too.

I don't think the UFC wants to bring MacDonald up that fast. I think someone like Kampmann would be a good test.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Was Bisping more of a dick in the past? I like that he admitted he isn't ready for a title fight and now he said he wants to fight the winner of Sonnen/Munoz

Missed the part about Bisping. They still trying to push this stale bum??? Have him fight Munoz in Blackpool or whatever so he can break his orbital and the crash of the euro so he can't come to the states again. fuck that guy.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Was Bisping more of a dick in the past?
Yep. I lol'd when he was on Inside MMA a couple months ago and everyone else on the show was like "wow we had no idea you were this nice in person". He's definitely toning it down as seen by his postfight interview when he beat Mayhem.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Chael is on fire. DAMN!
I would love to see him commentate fights or have a TV Show.

ShaneB

Mai/Bisping winner should fight loser of Sonnen/Munoz. That makes much more sense.

Also about GSP... meh. It certainly sucks for him, but it makes the division that much more interesting. Same with any of the divisions that have a kingpin for a champion who dominates. There could be plenty of good fighters in a division, but they suddenly become irrelevant if they can't beat the current champ.

Will be fun to see how many times Diaz calls him Conduit. Hope Condit rocks him senseless, will definitely be a great fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
GSP out 10 months? How did he hurt it, let me guess, in another prolonged training cycle or something right?

This is what I've been harping on all year. Notice Bones is fighting 4 times this year, and no injury. Guys sit there and toil in long ass training camps for way too fucking long between fights and injuries happen. Guys who get off their ass, stay semi active constantly instead of having these long rests and long cycles to reach their peak constantly get injured.

Is it really a shocker how guys who fight more don't get injured as much? Or at the very least, get their fights in on a timely basis so if they do get hurt, well they have already fought X amount of times recently, so it's not like two fucking years between fights.

This whole mentality of long cycling and rest period between fights needs to change. Especially since there's so damn many where the fight itself caused basically zero damage to the fighter. How many minutes has Silva actually fought this year for example, and how damaging were the fights themselves to him?

It just boggles the mind. This is going to keep happening and happening until Dana or someone at UFC starts prodding fighters to tighten up their schedule and be willing to go out there and fight and stay semi active year round, instead of going on the "Rampage diet" after a fight and starting the long cycle over and over again.

GSP out 10 months? How did he hurt it, let me guess, in another prolonged training cycle or something right?

This is what I've been harping on all year. Notice Bones is fighting 4 times this year, and no injury. Guys sit there and toil in long ass training camps for way too fucking long between fights and injuries happen. Guys who get off their ass, stay semi active constantly instead of having these long rests and long cycles to reach their peak constantly get injured.

Is it really a shocker how guys who fight more don't get injured as much? Or at the very least, get their fights in on a timely basis so if they do get hurt, well they have already fought X amount of times recently, so it's not like two fucking years between fights.

This whole mentality of long cycling and rest period between fights needs to change. Especially since there's so damn many where the fight itself caused basically zero damage to the fighter. How many minutes has Silva actually fought this year for example, and how damaging were the fights themselves to him?

It just boggles the mind. This is going to keep happening and happening until Dana or someone at UFC starts prodding fighters to tighten up their schedule and be willing to go out there and fight and stay semi active year round, instead of going on the "Rampage diet" after a fight and starting the long cycle over and over again.

Bones also probably doesn't do massive amounts of steroids like GSP which helps.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

0034_o7q2.gif

yacobod

Banned
lets be honest, who cares if professional athletes use steroids. i'd rather they be up front about it, instead of pretending to say their prayers, take their vitamins, and all that jazz. hell i'd even appreciate if the pro sports leagues just came out and admitted that these guys are walking chem labs because quite frankly their testing procedures are a joke across the board. i bet most guys in the nba are even taking HGH or some kind of PED.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty sad the the WW champion can't fight more than once a year without hurting himself over and over. I really like when fighters have short layovers like Jon Jones or Cerrone.

yacobod

Banned
It's pretty sad the the WW champion can't fight more than once a year without hurting himself over and over. I really like when fighters have short layovers like Jon Jones or Cerrone.

it's not uncommon for a guy's body to start breaking down after prolonged steroid use. gsp had a nice run, number 2 WW of all time behind GOAT matt hughes is nothing to sneeze at.

lets be honest, who cares if professional athletes use steroids. i'd rather they be up front about it, instead of pretending to say their prayers, take their vitamins, and all that jazz. hell i'd even appreciate if the pro sports leagues just came out and admitted that these guys are walking chem labs because quite frankly their testing procedures are a joke across the board. i bet most guys in the nba are even taking HGH or some kind of PED.

I feel the same way. It would also stop all the stupid witch hunts that cost everyone money.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
it's not uncommon for a guy's body to start breaking down after prolonged steroid use. gsp had a nice run, number 2 WW of all time behind GOAT matt hughes is nothing to sneeze at.
If you're walking down the street one day and a random person wearing a Karate Gi and a headband hits you with a double leg takedown, you know what happened.

Rur0ni

MMA GAF is best GAF.

Sucks for GSP. Now the division really is interesting as was mentioned. Diaz vs Condit can't wait.

So disappointed to hear about GSP. I just hope he can recover from it well enough to remain a great champion. Gonna be a long 10 months. Condit vs. Diaz will be a great fight though.

ShaneB

long rant about layoffs and fighters getting injured etc etc.

The problem isn't that GSP chooses to be inactive, it's that when you're the champion, you basically sit around until the matchmakers decide that they've got the next contender ready to go. The mid tier guys fight and fight trying to climb up the ranks. When you're at the top of the ranks and have apparently "cleaned out the decision", you sit around and wait until someone else pops up to fight.

DKehoe

The problem isn't that GSP chooses to be inactive, it's that when you're the champion, you basically sit around until the matchmakers decide that they've got the next contender ready to go. The mid tier guys fight and fight trying to climb up the ranks. When you're at the top of the ranks and have apparently "cleaned out the decision", you sit around and wait until someone else pops up to fight.

GSP chooses to fight twice a year. I'm sure UFC would be more than happy for him to fight more than that.

Boogie

Innocent until proven guilty, folks.

Remember, this:

Josh_Barnett_talks_about_his_new_deal_with_Strikeforce_without_revealing_too_much.jpg

is the physique of a man who got busted three times for roids.

GSP chooses to fight twice a year. I'm sure UFC would be more than happy for him to fight more than that.

Link?

In the lead-up to the Kos fight, the UFC chose to make a TUF season of Kos-GSP, thus making it the UFC's choice to give him a long layoff.

Following the December Kos fight, GSP fought end of April. About a four-month turnover, so not long, not quick.

Next was a six-month layover to the expected Diaz fight. I am inclined to say that there was a lack of compelling opponents, considering the UFC ended up having to bring over Diaz from Strikeforce for his next defence.

GSP injured in October, and then today we learn that it was more serious than first thought.

I'm not seeing the evidence where the long layoffs are due to GSP's preference.

I haven't watched many XFCs, but last week's was really entertaining. Strikeforce needs to step it up if they want to be #1 in bad mma.

I wanna see Matt Betzold vs Nick Newell.

Top Bottom