• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Eric Hall

New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.

1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA?

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present?

3. Who do you think would win?
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
  • Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
  • Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor

Regulars, feel free to join in.

1. Before I transferred to a school I lived at, I started watching UFC with my brother. He had been watching it for awhile, but I started with UFC 100. Since most of my friends had went to live at school, it gave me something to do.

2. Tim Sylvia, Ben Rothwell, Jacob Volkmann

3. Overeem, GSP, Sonnen

4. Tim Sylvia followed by Mark Coleman

I'd take Cerrone's craptacular tattoo over Gray Maynard's tramp stamp any day of the week. Not to mention the former is actually worth watching in a fight.

Same thing with Jon Jones, everything he does outside the cage is weak, but inside the cage he's a riot to watch and despite all the hate everyone pours on him he keeps on winning. Hell, he won yacobod over, and he was trolling Jon Jones fan like he was getting paid for it.

I have the same thing with Sonnen. I don't like his antics but when he fights the man is pure beast and I can't help but respect that. If it brings PPV buys, great but other that that I find it utterly stupid.

Don't trash his tramp stamp, it was a birthday present from his father.

If you really want to get crazy (and weirder!) you should watch the history of UFC and PRIDE together in chronological order. I'm sure you could find the dates online. It will give you a really good perspective on why PRIDE is a huge part of that era, how the fighters were migrating between promotions at the time, why the marquee matches meant so much, etc.
Do you remember a blog or forum post from maybe the mid-2000s that compared UFC and Pride events in order to determine which had more exciting events overall? I remember it being a pretty good attempt to analyze the UFC vs Pride debate based on the actual shows. I have no idea where I saw it.

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor
1. UFC 1 on ppv, totally legal, none of that black box stuff, you early 90's proto-pirates.
2. Pride era Crocop, Wand, Fedor, Big Nog and Gono. Past and current Barnett, Andy, Aldo, Cruz, Nick Diaz, Ebersole
3. Depends on how recovered Brock is. 100% Brock vs 100% Reem, I think Brock. GSP. Silva.
4. Barnett would beat both of them, at least post-Pride Fedor.

What stores in the Toronto area sell Tapout/Afflication/Deathclutch/other MMA shirts

I'm going to a friends bday after UFC 140 and he reminded me that he was doing a douchebag theme so I think a tacky shirt is in order

I know Champs and Real Sports sell them but they don't usually have the best prices

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
What stores in the Toronto area sell Tapout/Afflication/Deathclutch/other MMA shirts

I'm going to a friends bday after UFC 140 and he reminded me that he was doing a douchebag theme so I think a tacky shirt is in order

I know Champs and Real Sports sell them but they don't usually have the best prices

Well if you wear a tapout or affliction shirt and someone else is also....... make sure they are doing so to suit the theme.

Douchebag theme? Just go as a Pride fanboy.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nice I didn't see that the UFC signed bantamweight Nick Denis. I watched his awesome suplex KO about a week ago.

sMbE3Z

New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.

1. Saw some of the early UFC competitions on pirate VHS tapes being passed around when I was a teenager then forgot all about it. Really got interested around 4 years ago when I started training muay thai which I later changed into mma. Been out injured now for a while though :( Not sure I'll be able to go back.

2. Too many to list. I'm not one to hold favorites really but I really like fighters who put on a technical show and show that simple hard work pays off. I never miss Kenny Florian fights though, really talented and seems like a nice guy.

3.Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem

Not sure that Overeem can keep this standing tbh. Ground = Lesnar, Strikers chance = Overeem. Kind of hope for Overeem to knock Lesnar out just to get a bit more attention and fans in the UFC.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz

Never bet against GSP. His training and planning is above everyone elses.

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II

Probably Sonnen. He dominated last time and will probably do it again. Anderson doesn't seem to have an answer for Sonnens wrestling.

4. Lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Nice I didn't see that the UFC signed bantamweight Nick Denis. I watched his awesome suplex KO about a week ago.

http://www.host10mb.com/sMbE3Z[IMG][/QUOTE]

DeWalt would have loved it if the suplex happened on their sign. Power tool jokes would write themselves.

[quote="sien916, post: 33273610"][B]New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.[/B]

[list]Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem[/list]
[list]Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz[/list]
[list]Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II[/list]

Regulars, feel free to join in.[/QUOTE]

1. Watched K-1 and some Pride I think ages ago when it was randomly on TV. Then missed the big "Rise" I guess, then got back into it a few years ago. 70's or something.

2. A Silva, Bones, G Sot, GSP, Ebertroll. Dunno, heaps.

Probably Uber, Brock cant take the heat I dont think. If it goes to the ground Uber might be in trouble. Uber looked pretty bad in the last few Strike Force fights, still give him the edge though.
GSP I think, Diaz was very impressive against Penn but GSP just has all the tools to make any fight go where he wants it.
A Silva, he was aweful in the last fight probably because he thought he was just going to punk him like he does everyone else. Might put some heart into it this time.

4. Big Country, irresistible physique that will draw millions of fans if marketed.

Centurion

Banned
1. Watched the old UFC VHS tapes, but nothing serious. Got back into it when Fedor starting fighting in pride, in 2002. Didn't watch many WEC or Bushido events though.

2. chuck, fedor, shogun, bj, machida, wanderlei, nog, crocop, anderson silva, karo, gsp, hughes, couture, rampage, vitor

comedian

1. I've done karate since I was 7, at university I was in the kickboxing club and someone was talking about ufc and I then got hooked.

2. Can't really think of a favorite but I really like Nick Diaz's style of fighting.

3. Brock Lesnar vs Alistar Overeem
GSP vs Nick Diaz
Anderson Silver vs Chael Sonnen II (it depends whether Chael can hold on to Silva for five rounds, I do think though that Anderson could one hit k.o. him though)

4. Greatest heavyweight: Past (Fedor) Present (not really anyone stands out).

IMACOMPUTA

1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA? Lesnar vs. Couture. Thought it was funny that a wwf guy was an mma fighter.

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present? JBJ, Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar

Lesnar
GSP
..tough, but ill say Sonnen

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Paul Buentello? Paul.

Jezbollah

1. Roughly around UFC 44. Although I did have a chance to go to UFC 38 (Royal Albert Hall) which I still torture myself about not going every day. It would be a great venue for a Fight Night.

2. Dan Severn, Rickson, Carlos Newton, Saku, Pele, Rumina Sato, Kawajiri, Aoki, Mach Sakurai, Gomi, Genki Sudo, Vitor, Randy, Wand, The Nogs, Shogun, - could go on for ages. I do have a soft spot (being a Brit) for Paul Sass, Terry Etim and Paul Taylor.

3. Overeem will win if he catches Brock with some good shots early in round 1, it would be like the Brett Rogers fight - but if Brock holds off the initial onslaught and can get Overeem down, it could end up him winning by sub like in the Carwin fight. I'm leaning towards the repeat of the Rogers fight..

I can see GSP using his wrestling to hold Diaz down on the ground for most of the fight. He will be the bigger fighter, and could use that gameplan to avoid Diaz' striking. I'd love to see Diaz win, but I think it'll be GSP by decision (if it ever happens)...

Silva will beat Sonnen - and I think quickly. Too much hype going into this, and I think Anderson wont repeat the same mistakes as last time. I actually think they will never meet again, because I think Munoz will beat Chael in their eliminator on Fox.

4. I dont think Fedor can call himself the best heavyweight of all time - I dont think anyone who hasnt been in the UFC can do so. Cain's future depends on how he reacts to his loss. I think he will end up with the bigger legacy, but Fedor would be the biggest "what if" question in MMA for years to come.

ldcommando

Banned
UFC 2. And just because they released ufc 2 before ufc 1 on vhs here in Brazil.

All time would be Shogun and Wand. Nowadays I have too many fighters I enjoy watching. So I say Cerrone, Edgar and Condit just to mention a few.

Lesnar
St. Pierre
Silva

Fedor

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

1) I've been aware of MMA since watching a video review of a Pride game of the PS2 back in 2003. But didn't follow the sport until the beginning of last year. The first event I watched was GSP vs. Hardy.

2) Since I'm 6'6" and around 230-250lbs, I tend to be biased towards heavyweights. Overeem and Lesnar are my two favourites, followed by Junior dos Santos, Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz.

3) Overeem. Diaz. Silva.

4) Fedor

- friend of mine was big into MMA and got me into it, CroCrop/Gonzaga was the first fight i watched on tv.
i love clay guida not really a fan of anyone, i do like humble dominant people like GSP or fun fighters like rampage jackson. i always root for the good guy on TUF.

Overeem
GSP
Silva

Fedor, hope JDS can be dominant for a while.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It blows my mind how big and popular this sport is nowadays. I remember this overwhelming feeling of wrongdoing whenever I watched past UFC events as a young kid because I always got the sense that it was something illegal and wholly barbaric that no one should watch. This stigma was only perpetuated by the grimy arenas and seemingly lacking ruleset. Amazing comparing what it was to what it is today.

Norml

Just watched the UFC on Fox 2 press conference.

"I actually held public office, and I left the only way you should, in handcuffs."

Chael Sonnen is the fucking hero of MMA. I love this man when he is just speaking off the cuff.

He has said this before at least once,running out of material..lol

yacobod

Banned

1. Like many fine young Americans, my parents had an illegal cable box (cheater box). I grew up watching professional wrestling and boxing. One fateful evening in middle school, I was turned onto a no holds event pitting fighters from different disciplines squaring off against each other in a cage, a real life blood sport if you will and was instantly hooked. So I seen the early UFCs with Royce, Ken, Kimo, Severn, Oleg, Tank, The Predator, etc. I got back into MMA sometime between 2001-2003 when i was in the Judo Club in college and training BJJ in the summers.

2. BJ Penn, Shogun Rua, Fedor, CroCop, Wand, Nick Diaz, Randy Couture, Chuck, etc.

3. Brock, GSP, and Chael. Wrestling is the foundation of the MMA pyramid brah.

4. Fedor, but most exciting HW of all time is Mirko Filopovic.

yacobod

Banned
I'm going to start an annual MMA-GAF year end rewards poll. We'll take a vote on things like:

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Event (Card of the Year) of the Year
Promo of the Year
MMA-GAF poster of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

I'll update the OP as we move along with final tallies. It would be cool to track things to see how opinions change over time.

Should go up this weekend, some feedback would be appreciated for nominees and other potential categories.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

1. GAF, been following the sports since about 2 years
2. Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz, Alistair Overeem
4. Fedor of course

I'm going to start an annual MMA-GAF year end rewards poll. We'll take a vote on things like:

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Promo of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

I'll update the OP as we move along with final tallies. It would be cool to track things to see how opinions change over time.

Should go up this weekend, some feedback would be appreciated for nominees and other potential categories.
No trolling please!

Aaron89

Neo Member

1. 2007 Rampage vs Chuck 2.
2. Fedor, Sakuraba, Shogun, Hendo, Penn and Sonnen.
Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II
4. Fedor

ShaneB

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Promo of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

This will be a tonne of fun. How will the voting be? In thread? That would be fun seeing other peoples responses, but per PM would be neat to see the suprise results at the end.

yacobod

Banned
i would prefer for the voting and discussion be done in the open forum. i don't want to be accused of manipulating the vote or voter fraud. this will be a true democratic process :)

AiTM

Banned

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Promo of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

-Fighter of the year clearly goes to Bones Jones, with the runner up being either Henderson or Nick Diaz due to their rise up the ranks. Edit: Oh shit I forgot about Silva/ Belfort. That could be in contention, but still would be Kongo due to the back and forth action before the KO.

-Fight of the year Hendo/Shogun, runner up Penn/Diaz

-KO of the year is tough. I cant remember all off the top of my head. Probably would be Kongo/Barry. Two runners up would be probably Cormier/Silva and Hendo/Fedor.

-Submission of the year goes to Sonnen/Stann for the submission and general proof that wrestling can be entertaining.

-Event card of the year probably UFC 136 Edgar/ Maynard III. That was a stacked card.

-Promo of the year, probably the whole strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. The first event.

-MMA Gaf poster would be Poly. Completely a RIP sympathy vote.

-Can of the Year CLEARY FEDOR. Said but true.

tass0

Banned

1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA? 2005-ish, I think. Saw Sean Gannon (who was being promoted as the guy who beat Kimbo) get destroyed in the UFC.

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present? Fedor, Mirko, Shogun, Minotauro, and Anderson Silva.

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor (duh)

derp

yacobod

Banned
voting hasn't started yet, but when it does I'm going to have to limit each poster 1 clear cut vote, can't have multiple choice here.

i'm undecided on a lot of things but I'd give heel916 poster of the year. he's like the nick diaz of MMA-GAF, he overwhelms you with volume.

AiTM

Banned
voting hasn't started yet, but when it does I'm going to have to limit each poster 1 clear cut vote, can't have multiple choice here.

i'm undecided on a lot of things but I'd give heel916 poster of the year. he's like the nick diaz of MMA-GAF, he overwhelms you with volume.

Jumped the gun on the voting. I bolded my picks. Just mentioned runners up out of respect.

Hex

Banned

1) Used to get copies of copies of UFC events back around UFC 2 and on and then PRIDE .
Was huge into fighting games so it was a natural thing to be into.

2) Depends which Reem shows up and if Brock wants it anymore. Brock is collecting residuals from WWE games and merch recently and has a safety net of going back to the WWE.

3) St Pierre, though a long layoff again can mess with your head and St Pierre may have too much time off to get into his own head and we have seen what happens when he is not in the right mindset.

4) Silva. Sonnen is bad for the sport, period. He is talented, he is relentless but he is also someone the sport needs to be rid of. Would definitely want him in my camp though.

5) Will never know. Fedor was awesome, but is tainted by the business dealings around him and how and when he fought.
Would have been amazing to see him without the bullshit.

ShaneB

i would prefer for the voting and discussion be done in the open forum. i don't want to be accused of manipulating the vote or voter fraud. this will be a true democratic process :)

Sounds good to me, always fun to see other people'e votes and discussion. Will have to think about some of these.

1) Ken Shamrock's WWF run has introduced me to the UFC than got into the Japanese promotions like Pride and Pancrase.

2) Fav fighters - Shogun, Rampage, Wand, Fedor, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Overeem, Hendo, Machida and Bas.

3) Overeem, GSP, Silva/Sonnen is up in the air to me.

4) lol Fedor by a clear landslide. Cain has done jack shit compared to him.

Fighter of the Year
Fight of the Year
Knockout of the Year
Submission of the Year
Promo of the Year
Tomato-Can of the Year

Fighter of the year - I hate to say it but Jon Jones.
Fight of the year - Shogun/Hendo
KO of the year - Big Nogs KO Brendan Fraud
Sub of the year - Diego's sub over Bermudez on the TUF Finale
Event of the year - UFC RIO
Promo of the year - Barnetts win over Sergei (Sonnen's a close 2nd followed by Diaz's win over Penn)
MMA-GaF Poster - N/A
Tomato Can - Rick Story

AiTM

Banned
http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/08/ufc-already-examining-security-for-sonnen-vs-silva-2-in-brazil/

"We've already started worrying about that," White said. "We will have presidential-type security down there for him. The biggest fear would be should Chael win that night. We'd have to f--king dig a tunnel underneath the Octagon."

But White said he likes the idea of Silva fighting his most hated rival in front of his Brazilian fans. And he said the proper security procedures could ensure a safe environment for Sonnen and everyone else in attendance.

My god seeing this rematch in Brazil, and if Chael beats him in a decision, would be one of the most epic fucking moments in sports history. Seriously how fucking crazy would that be. A soccer stadium of Brazilians would be rioting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Whats all this about Miller being cut? Were you guys just talking about the possibility of it or did it actually happen?

Uncle Dana is probably just trying to decrease his rates, because he makes MTV money. The hyperbole he's been spewing about Mayhem has been pretty hilarious.

Top Bottom