• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre will require reconstruction of the torn ACL in his right knee, a setback that he called a "compensation injury" stemming from a previous issue to his left leg.

in his first comments since the injury forced him out of UFC 143, St-Pierre detailed the circumstances that led up to it and warned those doubting his return at full strength that he would once again rule the UFC's 170-pound class.

"A few months ago I was on top of the world and I'm now I'm in a downfall," St-Pierre said. "But you recognize a champion from how he comes back from things that don't go well. Everybody that says bad things and says bad stuff about me right now, mark my words. I'm going to tell you right now, I'm in a downfall in my life, but in a few months, I'll be back stronger than ever, and I will be champion again. I promise."

St-Pierre said on Wednesday that he hurt himself while wrestling. He heard a crack and felt pain but tried to continue. However, consistent instability in his right leg led him to believe something more severe than originally thought. He eventually visited his orthopedist, Dr. Sebastien Simard, and an MRI showed a complete tear of his ACL as well as a smaller tear in his meniscus.

Dr. Simard, who has twice previously performed surgery on St-Pierre, said he expects the champion to return at the same level of competition as before the injury. While UFC president Dana White said on Wednesday that St-Pierre was out for 10 months, Simard lowered the estimation, saying he expected a full recovery in around 6-9 months. By the time he returns, St-Pierre (22-2) will be 31 years old.

"His recovery rate is completely off the charts," he said.

For now, St-Pierre will be faced with the surgical procedure, followed by rehabilitation and strengthening the knee, which is not the same one which forced him out of October's planned UFC 139 matchup with Carlos Condit.

St-Pierre said he believed that overcompensating for that injury with his healthy leg may have led to more problems.

"I believe there is only one person to blame for what happened and it's myself," he said. "I'm the kind of guy, I endure pain and go through it. I learned a big lesson in my life. It's going to make me stronger, smarter and more clever."

St-Pierre said the diagnosis surprised him as he didn't suffer any common symptoms like swelling. He mentioned that he recently trained with Vitor Belfort and told him that there were positions he was unable to practice because of instability, and he finally visited his doctor to learn the full extent of the problem.

He had two separate MRI's that both confirmed the damage.

In the meantime, Nick Diaz and Condit will fight for the interim title, a move which he called "the right thing to do." St-Pierre said he hopes to be back by the end of 2012 to stake his claim as No. 1.

"Some people will say bad stuff about me, that 'he's finished,' and stuff like that," he said. "What I'm going to tell you is t's very easy to hit a guy when he's down. We have a saying in France, 'The life goes up and down.' People will laugh because I'm in a downfall, I'm hurt, I'm not a threat to them. But I'll be back on top, mark my words."

St-Pierre has been champion for over 1,300 days since taking the title back from Matt Serra at UFC 83 in April 2008, and he hasn't lost in his last nine fights, beating Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, BJ Penn and Josh Koscheck, among others.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
"Some of the punches that were thrown by Mayhem Miller in this fight, you could go to a girls' Tae Bo class and see better form, better stand-up. It was embarrassing," White said.

WzCLK.gif

Not really sure why Uncle Dana is hating on Mayhem so hard.

MjFrancis

So can we expect an interim championship bout in the meantime? By the time he's back it will have been a 1 1/2 year layoff at least. With Jon Jones fighting four times a year he's really making that sort of time off seem like forever, let alone the biannual fights GSP was already content with.

So can we expect an interim championship bout in the meantime? By the time he's back it will have been a 1 1/2 year layoff at least. With Jon Jones fighting four times a year he's really making that sort of time off seem like forever, let alone the biannual fights GSP was already content with.

Conduit/Diaz

dream

The really shitty thing is GSP will now be cautious of reinjuring his knee and he'll probably adopt a safe, boring style to protect his career.

edit: wtf@"we have a saying in France." You're a Quebecois, dummy.

thirty

Banned
mayhem was probably on a single fight deal. dana is just talking shit to lowball mayhem into a bad contract. if dana really didn't want mayhem in the ufc, he would have cut him already. gotta love how dana threw in, "mayhem looked like shit against gsp." well, who doesn't?

mayhem can still have some solid fights against guys like maia, shields and a slew of wannabe welterweight contenders like Diego Sanchez.

mayhem was probably on a single fight deal. dana is just talking shit to lowball mayhem into a bad contract. if dana really didn't want mayhem in the ufc, he would have cut him already. gotta love how dana threw in, "mayhem looked like shit against gsp." well, who doesn't?

mayhem can still have some solid fights against guys like maia, shields and a slew of wannabe welterweight contenders like Diego Sanchez.
Nah, it was a multi-fight contract. But Uncle Dana said he may not be back.

Well Mayhem did look like complete shit and not his usual self. He went 3 solid rounds with GSP and Sonnen way back when. He came in like he didn't even go through a training camp at all. Can see why Dana is mad, its like your employee not doing his job at all.

yacobod

Banned
The really shitty thing is GSP will now be cautious of reinjuring his knee and he'll probably adopt a safe, boring style to protect his career.

:)

the reason why dana white is bashing mayhem so much is to lower his price, i'm sure mayhem got a pretty penny for doing the show plus fighting. mayhem is getting that mtv dollar.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Cutting Mayhem after he bailed the UFC out by doing TUF when Chael pulled out is weak. Miller has a solid fanbase and isn't making that much money to begin with so just put the dude on Fight Night cards.

MjFrancis

Jones is the only UFC champion that fights more than twice a year. He's the exception, not Georges.
And that's why, even if he somehow loses to Machida, he's fucking awesome in the cage, fighting three times this year and asking for another when no one else would do the same. Three fights a year (at least 4 months between fights) should be the standard for a beltholder.

Like almost every other belt holder GSP will hold onto his belt with a 6 - 18 month window between fights. In comparison this gets old when you see that cats like Jones are willing to fight on a much more aggressive schedule.

It's one of the reasons I'm a fan of Donald Cerrone. UFC 141 will be his fifth fight this year. That's good shit right there.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jon Jones will never be awesome and neither will Donald Cerrone.

Good day to you, sir.

They put on great fights and therefore are awesome. Can't say that about an apologetic and wrestlefucking fighter. I was hoping that fighter would return in February and put on an entertaining fight for the first time in awhile.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys keep talkin that good shit. Just going to make it all the more glorious when Georges returns and crushes the paper champion.

dream

A wise man and valued poster once coined the phrase "scrapping like they have no education or employable skills to fall back on." I think that explains why Cowboy fights 5 times in 1 year.

Heel

New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.

1. When and how were you first introduced to MMA?

2. Who are some of your favorite fighters, past or present?

3. Who do you think would win?
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
  • Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
  • Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor

Regulars, feel free to join in.

dream

New users and quiet lurkers of MMA-GAF: Please introduce yourselves and join in on the fun by answering this short questionnaire. Don't be shy! There are no wrong answers.

4. Finally, who do you believe to be The Greatest Heavyweight of All Time: Cain Velasquez or Fedor

1. My parents had a black box and one day I saw a commercial for UFC 1 promising "THERE ARE NO RULES" and I was like holy fucking shit it's a real life kumite!"

2. BJ Penn, Frank Shamrock, NYBA, the cross dresser from K-1.

3. Brock, GSP, Anderson.

4. Mir.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
1. Saw my first UFC on Best Damn Sports Show back on FSN.

2. GSP, Shogun, Fedor, QRJ

3. Reem, GSP, Silver

4. Junior Dos Santos

MjFrancis

I'd take Cerrone's craptacular tattoo over Gray Maynard's tramp stamp any day of the week. Not to mention the former is actually worth watching in a fight.

Same thing with Jon Jones, everything he does outside the cage is weak, but inside the cage he's a riot to watch and despite all the hate everyone pours on him he keeps on winning. Hell, he won yacobod over, and he was trolling Jon Jones fan like he was getting paid for it.

I have the same thing with Sonnen. I don't like his antics but when he fights the man is pure beast and I can't help but respect that. If it brings PPV buys, great but other that that I find it utterly stupid.

1. When I was like 12 years old my dad worked in a russian video store and one day brought home some tapes (probably bootlegs) of the first few UFCs. They were 4 years old at this point.

2. Too many to list. I have liked a lot since that time, and many of former favorites that are still fighting today I no longer really enjoy watching (Fedor, GSP, Tito, Rampage, etc.) Current favs would be Diaz, Penn, A. Silva, and Crocop 4 life

3. Lesnar by wrestlefuck if he is healthy, GSP by wrestlefuck, and Silva

4. LOL Cain is a nobody, Fedor by far. Guy is a legend that went like 33 fights, and not a single one boring, undefeated in a row.

MjFrancis

He clearly meant none of his wins pre-2009 were boring. Even his first three losses these past two years were fun to watch.

His last one was one of the most boring fights in MMA history. At least for such a legend.

Heel

1. My aunt had a black box and my family was over to watch a Tyson fight. After the fight I switched through the channels and stumbled on what I'm pretty sure was UFC 3.

2. Fedor, Wanderlei Silva, Sakuraba, Igor Vovchanchyn and Dan Henderson would probably be my top 5 all time favorites. Some less than obvious fighters that I look forward to watching: John Makdessi, Edson Barboza, Dave Herman, Gegard Mousasi and Gil Melendez.

3. Overeem, GSP and Sonnen

4. Fedor, narrowly edging out legends Cain and JDS.

dream

Igor vs Bueno is probably still my favorite KO of all time, other than maybe some early Tank KOs where I thought the guys were legitimately dead.

MjFrancis

As someone between a lurker and a regular:

1. Saw UFC 117 Sonnen/Silva. Found my new favorite sport. Now I watch PRIDE and WEC matches in my spare time. Friends think I'm weird(er).
  2. My favorite fighters may be Randy Couture, Jose Aldo & Wanderlei Silva.
  3. I would pick Overeem, Diaz & Sonnen
  4. LOL

Heel

MjFrancis said:
Saw UFC 117 Sonnen/Silva. Found my new favorite sport. Now I watch PRIDE and WEC matches in my spare time. Friends think I'm weird(er).

Haha, that's really cool. You sure picked a good event to start on.

If you really want to get crazy (and weirder!) you should watch the history of UFC and PRIDE together in chronological order. I'm sure you could find the dates online. It will give you a really good perspective on why PRIDE is a huge part of that era, how the fighters were migrating between promotions at the time, why the marquee matches meant so much, etc.

You'd have to go even further down the rabbit hole to understand the importance of the K-1 kickboxers and Japanese pro wrestlers competing in PRIDE.

There's a nice in-depth article from Dave Meltzer on the history of vale tudo (and "birth of MMA" in Brazil) that also touches on PRIDE that you might like to read. Anyone reading can shoot me a PM if they want a a link to the .PDF (thanks to GAF'er Pristine_Condition for the hook up!).

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

If you really want to get crazy (and weirder!) you should watch the history of UFC and PRIDE together in chronological order. I'm sure you could find the dates online. It will give you a really good perspective on why PRIDE is a huge part of that era, how the fighters were migrating between promotions at the time, why the marquee matches meant so much, etc.

You'd have to go even further down the rabbit hole to understand the importance of the K-1 kickboxers and Japanese pro wrestlers competing in PRIDE.

There's a nice in-depth article from Dave Meltzer on the history of vale tudo (and "birth of MMA" in Brazil) that also touches on PRIDE that you might like to read. Anyone reading can shoot me a PM if they want a a link to the .PDF (thanks to GAF'er Pristine_Condition for the hook up!).

I'd like the article if you don't mind.

AiTM

Banned
Just watched the UFC on Fox 2 press conference.

"I actually held public office, and I left the only way you should, in handcuffs."

Chael Sonnen is the fucking hero of MMA. I love this man when he is just speaking off the cuff.

ShaneB

1. Started really watching with TUF season 9, the UK vs US season. I was familiar with the sport, but thought it was fairly boring and silly. Made fun of the ground game and just said they were cuddling. I guess watching TUF just made sense as the perfect gateway. You're not just watching random fights, I dug the rivalries and was rooting for the UK guys to kick butt, and I really got into it. Eventually culminated with watching UFC 100 as the first full card I would watch.

2. Favourite fighter? Ehhhh.. I like plenty of fighters, but couldn't pick out one. I guess I much prefer the lighter weight classes, and have any respect for any fighter that gets in the cage to entertain an audience.

3. Could go either way, GSP, and Sonnen.

4. Don't care enough about heavyweights to even begin a discussion of 'best of all time', but Fedor is the clear answer here, given the history.

dream

Dave's also been doing a series on the overlap between pro rasslin and MMA. I will post it here in a bit.

Pengew

1. Watched an old VHS of UFC 1 with my father

2. Fedor, Overeem, Shogun, Wand, Hendo, Rampage, Cro Cop....

3. Overeem, GSP, Silva (though i hope Diaz and Sonnen take it)

4. Fedor, though he may be in the twilight of his career his past accomplishments can not be forgotten.

Top Bottom